Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All The Way Round 2011 Charity Drive Logo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

@DonkeyStyle,

Could you maybe make the blue swoosh non solid? like just have the outline, so the inside is white/transparent and the text in a colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

@Mozoltov! : I know, it needs something... it's nice for what it is, but I think the mood is off a bit.

@draffodx : Tried it already, really didn't look good at all IMO... added a whole heap of complexity/eye-noise without giving anything back.
    I may well have hit a dead end with this design, maybe it's just the wrong general direction.

Ok, starting back at the original... some simple changes... thickened the lines, darkened the text, and added a basic 2011.

atwr2011_03.png

I think this tweaked version solves some of the problems with it not being bold enough. Maybe we can build off of this version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

I think that's it but I have a curiosity. Can you pull the Text back to the rear wheel and do the 2011 in a sort of semi-circle like a wheel arch? Just where the front wheel would be. Just to see what it looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Once u have the final design done, why not do a version with a black background and white text. It would work better for light coloured cars

• Advertisement

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    I think that's it but I have a curiosity. Can you pull the Text back to the rear wheel and do the 2011 in a sort of semi-circle like a wheel arch? Just where the front wheel would be. Just to see what it looks like?
    Like this? http://omg.wthax.org/atwr2011_03x.png

2nd one! Good job. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How about something a little different:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136297&stc=1&d=1290627013

The ring obviously represents the road and the journey but as the background cuts through the car outline it also helps to fill out the structure of the car a little more.

I copied the rear wheel to the front but a new wheel "swoosh" could be used instead.

Ok, starting back at the original... some simple changes... thickened the lines, darkened the text, and added a basic 2011.

atwr2011_03.png

I think this tweaked version solves some of the problems with it not being bold enough. Maybe we can build off of this version.

I'm liking the chunkier lines but not liking where the 2011 is, it kind of looks out of place, like it's being bullied by the car :D

2011 looks better placed (in the second one) but I don't like the way its in a semi circle it gives me the impression something is missing?
    5uspect wrote: »
    How about something a little different:

attachment.php?attachmentid=136297&stc=1&d=1290627013

The ring obviously represents the road and the journey but as the background cuts through the car outline it also helps to fill out the structure of the car a little more.

I copied the rear wheel to the front but a new wheel "swoosh" could be used instead.

Interesting to see something different, I think we'd like to keep the orange blue and yellow colours of last year in the logo to keep it recognisable though. I think the ATWR text gets lost in the image somewhat too.

Really appreciate the effort so far everyone, its been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Could someone that knows how have a go at producing my earlier effort and seeing what it looks like done right?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Could someone that knows how have a go at producing my earlier effort and seeing what it looks like done right?

How's this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=136368&stc=1&d=1290686767

oooohhhhhhhhhh that is noice!!

draffodx wrote: »
    oooohhhhhhhhhh that is noice!!
    I agree. Centre the text and add in the wheel swoosh on the rear and I think that'd be it. :)

It's getting a bit crowded so I reduced the size of the text and the wheel swoosh a bit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=136385&stc=1&d=1290691070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sorry folks, while I don't want to put a spanner in the works, I'm gonna disagree.

The black stroke on the curves will scale up and down badly, especially on screen.

The dark offset drop shadow spoils the text's contrast a bit.

Flat colours are good for logos and the inner glows mitigate against that.

The '2' isn't apparent enough to me - doesn't have enough 'swan's neck'.

Compare to most of the top logos: clear types, flat colours, no strokes, no glows, minimal effects.

All excellent points and demonstrates why the original logo was so successful. All I've really done here is attempt to sex it up by adding effects.

Thanks for taking that on the chin. I'm just a firm believer in keeping it simple, really simple when it comes to logos.

Hey I'm no professional and I would be daft to get upset at such fair criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Have to agree, keep it simple. And beef up the fonts a bit.
    136390.jpg

I'm liking the chunkier lines but not liking where the 2011 is, it kind of looks out of place, like it's being bullied by the car :D
    Yeah the 2011 was pretty much just dropped in there. It shares a baseline with the 'Round', so it's not completely on its own. But the important part is the line thickness and darker text.
    If we can ignore the 2011 for a minute, and ask if, overall, it solves enough of the boldness problem, then we can build on this version and then work the '2011' in in a more pleasing way.
    2011 looks better placed (in the second one) but I don't like the way its in a semi circle it gives me the impression something is missing?
    I agree, it looks like it frames something that isn't there. Someone asked for it though.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/228042/136390.jpg

Loving that. Fresh, new and simple, but still true to the original.

136390.jpg

Oh, I like that a lot. Just put a fill in the 2011 and it's done imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Regarding the commenters original issue about the logo on white, I sugest making the car solid an cutting the letters out of it, so it offers greater contrast the object is it printed onto.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/228042/136390.jpg

very very nice! I love how you've brought the colours out, I still think the 2011 is in the wrong place though.

tricky D wrote: »
    Oh, I like that a lot. Just put a fill in the 2011 and it's done imho.
    very very nice! I love how you've brought the colours out, I still think the 2011 is in the wrong place though.

I'd disagree. I think the 2011 is perfect. Its there and noticable without being overbearing on the image. This means that next year it could easily change to 2012 without having major effect on the logo. If you fill it in or make it more prominent then it might distract from the name which wouldn't be as strong due it not being in Black

It's quite a lot of wording for a logo per se, I think using 2011 in outline does exactly what Quazzie says, throws it back a bit and allows the event name to dominate. It's all about the hierarchy of the information. Heres another few variations.
    136462.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Draff I think it needs the outline of the country put in there somehow seeing as its a drive around Ireland, just my 2c

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd disagree. I think the 2011 is perfect. Its there and noticable without being overbearing on the image. This means that next year it could easily change to 2012 without having major effect on the logo. If you fill it in or make it more prominent then it might distract from the name which wouldn't be as strong due it not being in Black

I agree with you on the fill but I cant agree that its in the right place, I dont like losing the "window" of the car and I dont think having 2011 above and to the left of the ATWR text is the right place to have it. It just looks forced in there to me because a better spot cant be found.
    It's quite a lot of wording for a logo per se, I think using 2011 in outline does exactly what Quazzie says, throws it back a bit and allows the event name to dominate. It's all about the hierarchy of the information. Heres another few variations.

As above I agree with having no fill I think were nearly there with your first design without the fill but I still think that as per my points above that the 2011 is not in a great position.
    lafors wrote: »
    Draff I think it needs the outline of the country put in there somehow seeing as its a drive around Ireland, just my 2c

It would be too much for a logo, we tried it last year, we can use a map/outline of the country behind the logo on the website and as a water mark in documents, leaflets etc and it works much better.

Another idea....I don't think I can do any better than my first go without completely redoing it.

136550.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm liking that! :D

Can someone with a more professional eye point the +/- of it as a logo?

Advertisement