Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All The Way Round 2011 Charity Drive Logo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,065 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Have to agree, keep it simple. And beef up the fonts a bit.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/228042/136390.jpg

Loving that. Fresh, new and simple, but still true to the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

136390.jpg

Oh, I like that a lot. Just put a fill in the 2011 and it's done imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Regarding the commenters original issue about the logo on white, I sugest making the car solid an cutting the letters out of it, so it offers greater contrast the object is it printed onto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/228042/136390.jpg

very very nice! I love how you've brought the colours out, I still think the 2011 is in the wrong place though.

tricky D wrote: »
    Oh, I like that a lot. Just put a fill in the 2011 and it's done imho.
    draffodx wrote: »
    very very nice! I love how you've brought the colours out, I still think the 2011 is in the wrong place though.

I'd disagree. I think the 2011 is perfect. Its there and noticable without being overbearing on the image. This means that next year it could easily change to 2012 without having major effect on the logo. If you fill it in or make it more prominent then it might distract from the name which wouldn't be as strong due it not being in Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's quite a lot of wording for a logo per se, I think using 2011 in outline does exactly what Quazzie says, throws it back a bit and allows the event name to dominate. It's all about the hierarchy of the information. Heres another few variations.
    136462.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Draff I think it needs the outline of the country put in there somehow seeing as its a drive around Ireland, just my 2c

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd disagree. I think the 2011 is perfect. Its there and noticable without being overbearing on the image. This means that next year it could easily change to 2012 without having major effect on the logo. If you fill it in or make it more prominent then it might distract from the name which wouldn't be as strong due it not being in Black

I agree with you on the fill but I cant agree that its in the right place, I dont like losing the "window" of the car and I dont think having 2011 above and to the left of the ATWR text is the right place to have it. It just looks forced in there to me because a better spot cant be found.
    It's quite a lot of wording for a logo per se, I think using 2011 in outline does exactly what Quazzie says, throws it back a bit and allows the event name to dominate. It's all about the hierarchy of the information. Heres another few variations.

As above I agree with having no fill I think were nearly there with your first design without the fill but I still think that as per my points above that the 2011 is not in a great position.
    lafors wrote: »
    Draff I think it needs the outline of the country put in there somehow seeing as its a drive around Ireland, just my 2c

It would be too much for a logo, we tried it last year, we can use a map/outline of the country behind the logo on the website and as a water mark in documents, leaflets etc and it works much better.

Another idea....I don't think I can do any better than my first go without completely redoing it.

136550.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm liking that! :D

Can someone with a more professional eye point the +/- of it as a logo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

I'm liking that! :D

Can someone with a more professional eye point the +/- of it as a logo?
    I prefer the 1st one and all that needs doing IMO is to make the 2011 solid rather than an outline.

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    I prefer the 1st one and all that needs doing IMO is to make the 2011 solid rather than an outline.

which one?

which one?
    Happyman. Post #61.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Was really bored and suffering from a bit of insomnia tonight/this morning so decided I'd have a whack at this. I know you wanted to keep the logo pretty similar but to be honest I don't like manipulating other people's work so I through together something new. I kept the car that was used in the original logo.

If it's a direction you'd rather not go in that's no problem. Like I said, I was just bored and this allowed me to do something interesting with my time.

2rn993p.jpg

peejay - nice work. I think it'd be better if you got rid of the old car graphic and and emphasised the road more heavily. It's a great visual, and it's going to be on moving cars so bring it out more could be good direction.

• Advertisement

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    Happyman. Post #61.

Ah the colour one? I agree but prefer the outline rather than filled 2011

And then peejay1986 confuses us with another excellent design too!

Think I'll have to talk with Quazzie to see what he thinks and hopefully we pick one before xmas.

Ah the colour one? I agree but prefer the outline rather than filled 2011

And then peejay1986 confuses us with another excellent design too!

Think I'll have to talk with Quazzie to see what he thinks and hopefully we pick one before xmas.
    TBH I think Peejay's is on the button. They only thing I can fault is the turquise-ish colour. Other than that it's lay out is very simplistic and the joint writing gives the whole thing a nice flow.

A different colour scheme to grab your eye to it, and that's it I think!

Cheers for the compliments guys. Wasn't sure how it would be received to be honest.

The colour choice was mainly because I feel that blue and yellow are two colours that compliment each other well. I felt the original colour palette wasn't really defined. I can see that it appears turquoise above, but it's a darker blue when open in Illustrator. I think it's the way I exported it that might have changed the colour mode. The actual colour is more similar to the boards.ie blue.

I think it would be possible to do a reversed version also. Something that could possibly be used on darker coloured cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Very nice peejay, I like the energy/mood it has. It doesn't screw around when it comes to the text either. :)

Happyman42, do you think you could try one more thing for us?

Could you take the 2011, the cars window and the colouring of the text from the first logo you done here:

(1
    136550.jpg

And place them in the first one you done here:

(2
    136462.jpg

So that the ATW text is in yellow and inside the car, the 2011 is moved to the swish and the car window is brought back in? But also keep the font style of the first one also (1) ?

Sorry to be a pain! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

The standard of submissions has been really high again this year and the fact that we are currently so undecided is because there are so many good but different directions that we can go with this. We hope to have a decision made this afternoon about this.

Whoops...sorry, missed the request to modify...can you leave it with me for a wee while?

Try this.139400.png

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4271/allthewayp.jpg

-improved improvement :

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8454/roundx.jpg

;)

(maybe i shouldnt call it improvement as i have only spent 5 minutes on it and its not probably any better then others!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Was really bored and suffering from a bit of insomnia tonight/this morning so decided I'd have a whack at this. I know you wanted to keep the logo pretty similar but to be honest I don't like manipulating other people's work so I through together something new. I kept the car that was used in the original logo.

If it's a direction you'd rather not go in that's no problem. Like I said, I was just bored and this allowed me to do something interesting with my time.

2rn993p.jpg

Just been reading through the thread and I love that one. Especially as a sticker to go on a car. Good work.

Op wanted to use the same logo. One above is nice, but for me it looks like something related to adventure/scouting and USA. Dont know why. :pac:

Haven't had time to have a gander in here recently. Nice to see discussion is still fairly active in here.
    softmee wrote: »
    Op wanted to use the same logo. One above is nice, but for me it looks like something related to adventure/scouting and USA. Dont know why. :pac:

Not trying to insinuate that my design is perfect, but the problem I see with the original logo is just the overall layout and lack of hierarchy. It's a bit all over the place and the name could be easily mistaken in my opinion. I also think the design would cause problems on certain mediums as a neutral background is very much part of the design (whether intentional or not).

I think the original idea could work but speaking purely from a a design point of view, I think it needs a good bit of work to make it look professional. The car is nicely made but the text looks overpowered by the car, which shouldn't be the case in my opinion.

This is why I felt it was best to create a new logo.
    Qs wrote: »
    Just been reading through the thread and I love that one. Especially as a sticker to go on a car. Good work.

Thanks for the kind words :) The thinking behind it was to make it work as a sticker as, as far as I'm aware, that's one of the primary uses for the logo. I don't think the logo should need any extra elements (white borders, white square/circle surrounding it) added to it to make it work as a sticker, otherwise it diminishes from the actual logo itself.

It is an excellent logo peejay1986 but it breaks our old one too much meaning we would have to re do the website design along with some other bits and pieces.

But I also agree with you about the flaws on the original logo, just to be aware we dont envisage the logo's on the cars being circular this year as this caused too much issues with rubber strips and curves last year.

We expect to have smaller rectangular stickers for the cars and so a rectangular design would be better in my mind, sorry for not stating this before, also we initially wanted to work with the ICS hence the chosen colours of orange yellow and blue, but we ended up going with barrettstown.

I'm torn between going for a completely new professional looking logo and keeping with one recognisable from last year

If I wanted to keep a connection with last year...here is what I would do.
    Stole Peewee's font ideas. There's nowt like a bit of Creampuff!139722.jpg

• Advertisement

Barretstown is a place for ill children yes? Why not making it more with them in mind?

Just a rough idea :

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5202/alltheway.jpg

-colours are not right ,shapes are dodgy - i dont have illustrator at home and it would need big improvement. :)

alltheway.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/861/logovjw.jpg

-just to show you how different this could look with some changes, it would have to be done by someone more professional then me -i am just learning :)

logockv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

this is appalling.

this is appalling.

Thanks for constructive criticism. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Mod-Edited / Removed.

* RopeDrink *

OK.

They're all appalling, try harder.

It looks like they keep throwing on effects until something sticks. A little bit more to logo design than that.

Care to make a submission of your own?

OK.

(says who?) :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for a motivation. Everyone will now try harder. . . MR commander. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

OK.

It looks like they keep throwing on effects until something sticks. A little bit more to logo design than that.

That was what the OP asked for. To add to the old logo.

• Advertisement

softmee wrote: »
    Thanks for constructive criticism. :D
    The logo concept isn't bad at all. However, you need to put a lot more work into drawing the shapes, tightening the typography, and generally making it a professional, reusable, vector logo.

Right now, it's at the rough sketch/concept stage, and if judged at that level it's got promise, but needs actual finishing.

p wrote: »
    The logo concept isn't bad at all. However, you need to put a lot more work into drawing the shapes, tightening the typography, and generally making it a professional, reusable, vector logo.

Right now, it's at the rough sketch/concept stage, and if judged at that level it's got promise, but needs actual finishing.

I think you've missed that part of my post :

"-colours are not right ,shapes are dodgy - i dont have illustrator at home and it would need big improvement. smile.gif "

-i said it myself -its just an idea/sketch and if op would like it and somebody out there has better software and skills it could be improved.

OK, lets try something different for a few days!

Forget the old logo and let people total freedom to come up with their own logo from scratch, total design control following the brief:

Needs to have All The Way Round as text
    Needs to have 2011 as text
    Needs some sort of defined logo (Maybe stick with the car shape?)
    Is for Barretstown charity so inspiration can be taken from that
    Logo will be used on headed publicised paper, websites, photographs and as stickers
    A rectangular shape would be best
    The more professional it looks the better.

I'll leave it open for 5 days, so close it on Monday the 17th.

If someone creates a new logo that we choose then I will send them a €40 One4All voucher.

Anybody up for the challenge? :)

Forget the old logo and let people total freedom to come up with their own logo from scratch, total design control following the brief:

Logo will be used on headed publicised paper, websites, photographs and as stickers

If someone creates a new logo that we choose then I will send them a €40 One4All voucher.

Has my logo been ruled out or can I submit that for consideration?

Everything that has been submitted from the start of this thread will be considered. Thats not to suggest though that you should submit any more original concepts you have.

Its still up for consideration but you can always do another one, it's unusual to see someone with so much talent from Ardee hey! So you might as well show it off ;):D

• Advertisement

Well that idea bombed!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have an excuse, I'm in India all week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Maybe one of these guys might help yis out... :D

http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32029

Chochese wrote: »
    Maybe one of these guys might help yis out... :D

http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32029

Instead of beeing smart arses they would better show everyone what good design by creating a new professional one.
    I dont think anyone here is professional designer. I only started beeing interested in it few month ago and i have looong way to go to be able to create something what looks realt good. Still -i dont think my idea was bad -it would only have to be done from scratch in illustratol -thats it.
    Its easy to criticize and do nothing.
    Show us what you can and do something for this charity! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Tealplayboymmc

Just done these two

Will try a complete different logo during weekend

Allthewayround.jpg

Allthewayround2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement