Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sociology graduates or students

Options
  • 13-08-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

can anyone out there answer this question for me? Im stuck!!!! :):)

You have been hired as a researcher to conduct a survey of NUIM Sociology students and their opinions of studying Sociology at NUIM. Identify the type of probability sample you would use. Describe how you would undertake this type of probability sample from your population. What type of survey design would you select and why? Give an example of one closed-ended question you would include in your questionnaire/interview schedule.

Please help..thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since you presumably don't expect someone to write an essay for you, you might be advised to say what you don't understand or what part of/aspect of the question is causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Could i just say i would use qualitative research. Use simple random sampling from a list of registered students. Interview them with a choice of open and closed questions. And the closed end question would be "Do you think NUIM provide enough facilities for students?"

I have a repeat in this exam and dont this question before and answered it like i have just written there but only got 50% which i wasnt happy with because i thought I answered everything correctly :(

Can anyone advise me on how to answer it well? How to get a better grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,131 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I know virtually nothing about academic research, or sociology, but the first thing that occurs to me is that you are asked to find out about students' opinions on studying Sociology at NUIM. Not about being students at NUIM. So your closed end question about facilities is not really relevant. If you were asking if NUIM provided enough sociology facilities that would be relevant, but apart from books, what else would be needed specific to sociology students? Is it a useful question?

Also in general terms for any essay, you need to say more than just what you would do, you need to say why you would do it and what published research has been done to back up your argument. Presumably you have done that, and given references (properly set out according to the system preferred in the college)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Further to my hint in the maynooth forum - random sampling is typically not used with qualitative research, which is probably what cost you the marks. OP you need to read the relevant chapters of the book and this will all become perfectly clear. PM if you need a copy of the reading list

• Advertisement
Advertisement