Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All The Way Round": ICS Charity Logo Design (Please Read)

Options
  • 09-11-2009 8:28pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

I've been thrown into the path of DraffodX who has called for assistance regarding the creation of a Logo for an upcoming event he is organizing for the Irish Cancer Society. Despite this being a charity event, it would seem the lads are willing to fork out a small sum of their OWN money (50 Euro) to the person whom wins them over with a favoured logo.

As of the moment, details of said event must be kept quiet until the ICS approve it, leaving the promotion & advertisement of it (In the name of the ICS) a big NO for the moment, however that does not stop the desire to plan ahead and ask for assistance regarding the creation of a Logo to mark the occasion, of which 'I assume' will be placed on the side of the Vehicles making the drive for "All The Way Round".

I'm sure DraffodX will give additional information as it comes and pitch his ideas forward in this thread until that time - We're both here to ask that those of you with a desire to help with this charity please assist with the creation of a Logo for the Event.

Considering the nature of this, I would be thoroughly against requesting payment for the work though there are other possibilities such as having the chosen Logo Design be left with the name of the Designer. This is for charity, afterall, so please keep that in mind.

DraffodX has posted some templates to me in a quote from other users of the Motors Offline Forum who have also stepped in to try and assist - These should help in giving a general idea as to what is being sought for:
    Originally Posted by Quazzie

Something that could incorporates the following would be my guess.

A logo design with a car something similar to this. It hints at Celtic writing which in itseld hints at Irishness
    400_F_1360402_Lnkm9NuHIIpLrkczrtzMsFld1tmIIo.jpg

Maybe something similar to this(obviously with the lion gone, and replaced with a car) and the centre being the Irish Cancer Society daffodil.
    paralions-logo.jpg

To incoroporate the colours of the Irish Cancer society as was done with this logo

ride4like-logo.jpg

A mix of all three of them I think would look nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks RopeDrink,

RopeDrink has pretty much covered the basis of things.

We intend to organise a charity drive around Ireland over 3 days sometime over the next summer.

Were just a bunch of lads and lassies who like cars, all sorts of cars, no particular niche or type of car.

We want to get a nice logo that grabs people attention and something they will remember and associate with the event and the ICS also.

Quazzies Quoted post there is a great starting point but if someone really wants to get created it was suggested to me to get a logo with the ICS flower coming out of a cars exhaust tip if anyone wants to try that.

We will give someone who creates a winning entry free adverting on the cars and allow there name to be in the logo if they so wish.

Any more questions feel free to post here or pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Here's a quick mockup to get some kinda ball rolling

atwr_quickmockup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

What deadline are you looking at to have the logo finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    What deadline are you looking at to have the logo finished?

There is no strict deadline on it. Before the end of the month is fine. Before the end of the week is better.

The logo is part of a larger presentation which is being prepared. So the logo would be hopefully ready for the finalizing of that presentation.

Btw I'll add €50 donation to whoever designs the logo as an incentive.* if the person is feeling generous the fifty euro can be donated to the charity in question.

*The only restriction is payment has to be made by paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here's my effort...

95975.png

You'd hopefully have a much better quality, vector map of Ireland... That was just the best thing I found on Google Images !

I'd be concerned that it's not clear (from my image) that it's about driving ! Was gonna chuck in a picture of a small car driving around that orange ring, or else use a font that might suggest driving.

The only font I could find really is 95976.png

Or, you could maybe make the orange ring into a car tire? It would obviously have to be black then though or it would look silly

• Advertisement

95975.png
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    You could also swap out the image of the flower into that of a car, too. For the tyre to look like a tyre it'd need to be pretty big which may hide a large portion of the Ireland Image and make it look a little messy, but I'm sure there is a way around that, too.

Maybe if the ring had road markings on it. Something like a dotted white line that might make it look like a road.
    Thanks Quaz for clearing the deadline question - I was hazarding a guess that the majority of the limit was resting on when ICS give the all clear. Either way, I'm leaving those details for you and Draffod to clear up and if you ever want any of the thread details edited in or changed, just let me know.
    We're a bit hesitant on using the ICS logo as of yet as nothing has been finalized yet so we don't want it to be a central part of it in case it has to be removed. The Charity drive is in aid of Cancer Care, but we obviously can't use there logo without official clearance from them to do so.
    I've posted this thread in the ArtsMod & Moderators forum to try and plan for future interest / aid from the site, beit the Boards Blog, people using Signiatures leading to the event details etc
    Thanks RopeDrink.
    Sadly things seem a bit quiet :confused:
    Thats a pity. Maybe add in that there is a €50 first prize and see will that bring anyone out of the shadows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Has this thread been stickied since 9th Nov?

Cos I only noticed it last night, so maybe others are in the same boat !

96291.jpg

A quick attempt by me using Quazzie's suggestions

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll stick €50 in for the person that creates the chosen design

I've added it into my sig now to see if some people notice it.

Would it be an idea to put an ad up in adverts about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FitzNGiggles

Hi. I've not been on here before but a mate told me about it. Here are my efforts.

tyre.png
    allthewayround.png

Dunno if they're what you're looking for. Also not sure how to make them show up on the page.

• Advertisement

Hi FitzNGiggles,

I'm liking the style of the tire one, would it be possible to get the ICS logo in the centre of the tire? And get the text coloured like the tri colour?

And also get it in a rectangular shape with a white or transparent background?

I think it would look great if you could make the tire smaller and emphasise the text a bit more also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

image4k.png

image5uj.png

Ho hum, not much of a logo guy... but sure I tried!

excellent DonkeyStyle \o/ I love the style you've gone for.

Do you fancy trying to add in the ICS logo to one of your designs? And maybe incorporating more of a car into it but in a similar style?

Along with making the design more rectangular, a long width and short height would suit us better I'd imagine as the logo will hopefully be used on websites, presentations and car stickers

image5uj.png
    Is it just me that thinks of a mermaid when I see this?:o

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is it just me that thinks of a mermaid when I see this?:o
    Oh you think that's bad? During the early stages of the first image, I looked away for a minute, then looked back at this and almost pissed myself. :D

draffodx wrote: »
    Do you fancy trying to add in the ICS logo to one of your designs? And maybe incorporating more of a car into it but in a similar style?
    Yeah I'll get tweaking later tonight.

I've fleshed out the car one a bit more and tried something with the text...

86856172.png

How the ICS logo might look...

r2logo.png

How the ICS logo might look...

r2logo.png

I'm not loving the car shape in this one ( might just be me but said I'd say it anyways ) I also preferred the colours in your other one with the black shape

forbairt wrote: »
    I'm not loving the car shape in this one ( might just be me but said I'd say it anyways ) I also preferred the colours in your other one with the black shape
    Yeah I got a bit distracted while working on the car outline, I reckon there's room for tweaking alright, I'll spend some more time on it, cheers.
    The colours are a bit more boring in this one, but I've tried to make them more meaningful - the rolling green hills of Ireland at least... the choice of blue for the car was pretty arbitrary and I have a nagging sense of it feeling a bit water-themed (especially with those lines).
    "They're sailing all the way round the what now?" :confused::D

I'll keep tweaking it, so keep the suggestions coming.

Here's a revised one... not hugely pleased with the sharp angle created in the top-left of the white part of the silhouette, but I think the lines are improved... and more recognisable as a car (albeit a roadster).
    Bumped the saturation and re-hued the green to look a shade more grassy.
    atwr3.png

• Advertisement

ok personally I think thats definitely getting there but ( again with the buts from me ) I don't like the font you're using for all the way round.

( again sorry I'm just giving my own feedback on it so please don't take offence that font just isn't working for me )

Would it be possible to make the car look sportier?

On colours, could they be changed to the yellow and Orange of the ICS logo instead of the green and blue?

forbairt wrote: »
    ok personally I think thats definitely getting there but ( again with the buts from me ) I don't like the font you're using for all the way round.

( again sorry I'm just giving my own feedback on it so please don't take offence that font just isn't working for me )
    Hey screeeww you pal! I quit! :mad: :pac: :D
    No offence taken, it's all helpful. As long as we're moving in the right direction, everything is groovy.
    The font choice was another arbitrary one that I didn't think a lot about... but yeah now that you mention it, I can see it too.
    Would it be possible to make the car look sportier?
    I think I see what you mean, I'll have a fiddle. (then get to work on the logo)
    On colours, could they be changed to the yellow and Orange of the ICS logo instead of the green and blue?
    Yeah can do.

New (slightly more fun) font.
    I noticed I could mirror and rotate the wheel to join the flow of the outer "swoosh"... I think it works.
    I've revised the silhouette... the top and bottom images are the same except for the top left line... the second image looks slightly more 'pick-up truck' because of it, but as a line I prefer it, and it sits around the text more nicely.

2211.png

really excellent work DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm loving that effort, I think its missing something though and I'm not quite sure, I'll have a look at it tomorrow again with a fresh head and see if I can put my finger on it.

But again thanks a lot for your effort in helping us

I'm really liking the car and the colours of the top one. I think the layout is excellent. The font I'm still not 100% sold on but I think its definitely on its way to a finished article. All this is just my opinion of course.

Yeah ok, that font was a bit too 1950's cocktail party... here's a new one with a mixed typeface and slightly improved lines.

2311.png

And with a bit more tracking on the 'all the way'.
    2311b.png

And with a bit more tracking on the 'all the way'.
    2311b.png

I'm really liking that one. Simple, easy on the eye, straight to the point, and hints at the Charity without screaming it in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I hope i'm not speaking out of turn here, but I think this still needs a lot of work.

As it stands, it's a nice illustration, but it's got alot of elements in there and I feel it's more of a picture than a logo. Here there's just too much going on. The tagline takes up a lot of vertical space, and you're trying to put too logos into one, that's never a good idea. I think the colours and imagery is good, but it needs to be stripped back more if it's to be effective.

Again, apologies if that's out of order, but that's my professional take on it.

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    I hope i'm not speaking out of turn here, but I think this still needs a lot of work.
    You're certainly not. Every opinion is a valid one and that's the whole purpose of the thread. Mine is certianly no more valid than anyone elses because mine is just a lay mans opinion
    As it stands, it's a nice illustration, but it's got alot of elements in there and I feel it's more of a picture than a logo. Here there's just too much going on. The tagline takes up a lot of vertical space, and you're trying to put too logos into one, that's never a good idea. I think the colours and imagery is good, but it needs to be stripped back more if it's to be effective.
    i don't really get what you are saying because I wouldn't be thinking of it from a designers POV, I'd be looking at it just as a passer-by.
    Again, apologies if that's out of order, but that's my professional take on it.
    Again because you are a professional you'd look at it different.

Care to put forward a suggestion of your own or modify to improve an existing one? All are more than welcome and the more we get the better it'll be.

Advertisement