Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc Wheel Sets

Options
  • 14-04-2019 2:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2017 Cannondal Synapse Disc.

Came with stock wheels.

Looking to upgrade but very confused. What type of disc wheels do I need? Centre lock can be upgraded to quick release via adopters. Are these universal?

Is there anything else I need to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

godtabh wrote: »
    I have a 2017 Cannondal Synapse Disc.

Came with stock wheels.

Looking to upgrade but very confused. What type of disc wheels do I need? Centre lock can be upgraded to quick release via adopters. Are these universal?

Is there anything else I need to look at?

Centre Lock is the brake disc retention system.

Quick release (QR) is how the wheel is held on to the bike frame.

Two different things. You need to find out if your current wheels use 6 bolt discs or centre lock discs.

Then you need to find out if you use quick release skewers or thru axle bolts.

For what it’s worth I upgraded the wheels on my Felt VR30 disc bike to Fulcrum Racing 5 DB’s. I’d highly recommend them, they’re reasonably lightweight (1640g) are tubeless ready (if you want to run tubeless- I don’t) and run very smooth and freely. They’re around €300 delivered from most online sellers.

I researched every available wheel for less than €500 and the 5 DB was by far the best bang for buck. That was roughly a year ago but I still don’t think any other wheel can come close to it in terms of value for money, weight and looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Hope, infinitly serviceable and bombproof.

Lovely wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

saccades wrote: »
    Hope, infinitly serviceable and bombproof.

Lovely wheels.

Yep - just bought a set of these for my new winter/training bike!

https://www.hopetech.com/products/wheels/cyclo-cross/hope-20five-rs4-j-bend-centre-lock-32-hole/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

In the same pickle here myself...
    7 month old Fulcrum r700 DB's on my yoke stay away from them...
    Nothing but trouble breaking spokes etc.
    Was told by a LBS not to buy stock wheels get them built....
    not sure what to do..will keep an eye here.
    Burnt out the rotors as well...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just reading up again.

Am I correct in saying centre lock/6 bolt are inter changeable in the frame it’s self.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Yes, six-bolt or centre-lock will fit in any disc frame.
    Q/R or thru-axle need to be compatible with the frame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

I researched every available wheel for less than €500 and the 5 DB was by far the best bang for buck. That was roughly a year ago but I still don’t think any other wheel can come close to it in terms of value for money, weight and looks.

Just about to press the button on these - look excellent value, light and strong, with good reviews?
    Claimed weight 1670g, which is just about the same as the DB's

€200 delivered...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

boomdocker wrote: »
    Just about to press the button on these - look excellent value, light and strong, with good reviews?

€200 delivered...

Got a link for that? Am seeing the Fulcrum 5 DBs for €300 on CRC and not much cheaper from the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

boomdocker wrote: »

€200 delivered...

Are you sure theyre not the Fulcrum 5DB as opposed to the Racing 5 DB which came out in 2018. The Fulcrum 5DB is heavier (1670g v 1610g - Mine were 1640g) and had different decals.

The best price I can see for the Racing 5DB is €300

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This looks decent.

https://www.wiggle.com/mavic-ksyrium-disc-ta-front-wheel/

Comes with QA adapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

apologies folks, forgot to post the link...

I'm talking about this wheelset from Merlin...

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-cx28-road-cx-disc-wheel-700c-81721.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Was told by a LBS not to buy stock wheels get them built....

Burnt out the rotors as well...

Burning out the rotors is poor technique, dragging down descents. Either beef them up or brake alternate front/rear harder but shorter to keep your speed down (same as you would in a car but obviously you don't have engine braking).

As for someone who makes money from building wheels telling you to avoid machine built?

Advertisement