Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer population control Pheonix park

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you neuter a stag, it is a pet... Or a decoration...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How many deer will be slaughtered as part of this operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Chiparus wrote: »
    When you say "neutered" what do you mean?

Do you think every male deer should be shot, with a tranquilizer, then castrated?

Is this really a less traumatic experience than a deer being culled?

I don't have the knowledge to answer whether they should or shouldn't be, that is why I asked the question in the first place....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

rn wrote: »
    Corralling non farm animals to administer en masse treatment is really difficult. They are not used to pens and being handled by people and deer are way more agile than normal farm animal.

Giving them birth control would limit natural selection and survival of fittest that a large herd requires to overcome diseases and other natural disasters.

Shooting and hunting are popular enough and the participants might as well be used to do the state and the herd a service.

That seems quite plausible. It would be quite dangerous for the deer and the humans if they were administered treatment as they are wild animals. They would probably hurt themselves with the stress of being caught.

They must need to be kept wild as if they were so tame that they were approaching humans it would mean they would probably start wandering around the park which wouldn't be good particularly with stags and fawn

I do love deer and all animals btw. I am genuinely curious why they need to be culled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Gael23 wrote: »
    How many deer will be slaughtered as part of this operation?

They try and maintain the population at a certain level so if lots of fawn's are born they'd cull more, at nearly a 1 to 1 ratio I'd assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    That seems quite plausible. It would be quite dangerous for the deer and the humans if they were administered treatment as they are wild animals. They would probably hurt themselves with the stress of being caught.

They must need to be kept wild as if they were so tame that they were approaching humans it would mean they would probably start wandering around the park which wouldn't be good particularly with stags and fawn

I do love deer and all animals btw. I am genuinely curious why they need to be culled.

It's done for very good reasons. The numbers need to be limited to match the available space and sick/injured animals have to be removed. I have witnessed the deer being corralled (disaster) and I have watched the sniper cull (very humane).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    This thread has been moved to Nature and Birdwatching, as it seems a more appropriate spot for it.
    Please be aware that a new charter now applies, please have a read of it before you post, if you're not already familiar with it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Keep away from them. The ones in phoenix have enough food around them.

The amount of times during stag season I see people feeding deer with no awareness of the potential of a stag attacking staggering.

I'm unsure if you are directing that at me, or supporting what I was saying. Because that's just rephrasing what I said.
    Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    The deer I saw over the weekend didn't seem happy about the people approaching them but the family kept trying even though they looked really nervous of them. Is that why all the chicken wire cages are around the trees?

Yeah I suppose people probably think they are timid, which they are, but at the same time I say they would be strong enough if felt cornered or threatened especially with fawn

I was over on Tuesday and they were approached by and approaching people. They aren't unsettled in the slightest, once they expect to get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don't see any problem with the current policy. The herd is living in ideal conditions, and their welfare is monitored. The meat from culled animals is free range, organic and is game - as opposed to fatty factory farmed meat.
    That's a premium product, ethically produced.
    People calling for the deer to be castrated, then going off to buy their chicken nuggets, it seems a bit strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Culling results in a healthy herd. Neutering would result in a gradually aging and increasingly sickly one.

It’s not about keeping the numbers down. It’s about keeping sustainable numbers of the healthiest specimens.

Also. The hand-feeding them carrots thing. Stop that. It does them no good, and you’re not ‘communing with nature’. Or whatever it is you think you’re at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

endacl wrote: »
    It’s not about keeping the numbers down. It’s about keeping sustainable numbers of the healthiest specimens.
    Surely it's both so? The park has what would be considered a maximum capacity for deer, which needs to be maintained, and a culling would hopefully simulate what would be a naturalist process of the weak and old being preyed on.

Advertisement