Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind and Rain Warnings : Sat 13 / Mon 15 April 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kub wrote: »
    I must be getting old, but for some reason i found it amusing to see Met Eireann on RTE 1 this evening issuing an Orange warning for rain for Southern Counties.
    An Orange warning for rain in Ireland :rolleyes:

Why? It's more than we normally get and can cause flooding, especially in Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is it just me that finds it unusual that Met Éireann haven’t included possibly rainfall totals in their current warnings? They usually do if my memory serves me correctly.

The totals shown on some models are in the red warning criteria levels!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1117489023822520321?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

26mm since it started raining yesterday in this part of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lets just hope the ESB manage the dam in Cork correctly this time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why? It's more than we normally get and can cause flooding, especially in Cork!

How did we ever manage without weather warnings ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ECM 12Z

1Zp5ro3.png

dDttwnT.png

Lets just hope the ESB manage the dam in Cork correctly this time..

And lets hope there are no high tides and South Easterly winds.

kub wrote: »
    And lets hope there are no high tides and South Easterly winds.

winds are coming from south east, high tide is at 2am

winds are coming from south east, high tide is at 2am

Oh oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Jean didn’t seem to be too worried about the orange warning for tonight and tomorrow for parts of the south and to be honest looking at the rainfall charts they didn’t seem too alarming.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Jean didn’t seem to be too worried about the orange warning for tonight and tomorrow for parts of the south and to be honest looking at the rainfall charts they didn’t seem too alarming.

That has to be one of the oddest TV forecasts I’ve ever watched with an Orange Warning in place and not one single idea of rainfall amounts??

I don’t get it at all and I just hope it doesn’t end up being a bad flooding event in Cork and Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Most likely amounts, at a guess ...

40 to 60 mm on south-facing slopes in south coast counties, 30 to 50 mm locally elsewhere in west Munster and coastal Connacht.

20 to 40 mm max in a few favoured upslope areas of southeast, midlands, inland Connacht.

10 to 20 mm fairly general elsewhere further north and east.

Any flooding problems likely to be on small streams in Kerry and possibly west Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Saw the forecast after the news and was a little perplexed by it too. A little bit vague. Are they holding out for 1 more run to show their hand fully :) ?

Anyway the rain arrived and moderate fall here atm with 2 mm in a relatively short time , would expect somewhere between 10 and 15 mm here near Tralee up until about 18.00 tomorrow. As for the S, I would go by the ECM as a good average and would think the models in general are showing areas getting 50mm to 70mm, more on high ground. The run off from high ground could be felt into Weds I would reckon testing river banks.

We will see, good opportunity to really check the accuracy of the models.

hVO7HKv.png

AROME 18Z just coming out and it would appear that the warning time to 18.00 might need to be extended a bit for the S.

aromehd-25-25-0_ebk1.png

Latest ARPEGE 18Z

arpegeuk-25-25-0_erm1.png

3357_joa9.png

anim_wjx1.gif

arpegeuk-52-27-0_wpf2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Must say I'm confused on the ME warnings Connacht don't get any mention for rain just wind, yet on radio a few minutes ago Connacht was mentioned for heavy rain, they seem to be all over the place tonight Jean gave no mention about the Orange warning of heavy rain.

Last one from me tonight.

Hope this doesn't materialize but I think AROME is not one to exaggerate rainfall amounts. Might not be as blanket heavy as this but areas could be easily getting 50mm and upwards from 60 to 70mm perhaps . This would be quite similar to the ECM 12Z .

3221_esz8.png

Still raining in cork, heavy bursts. Winds are starting to pick up aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

Radar showing dissapating rain in South.

Will it end up non event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pauldry wrote: »
    Radar showing dissapating rain in South.

Will it end up non event

*Sigh*

It's 1:30am, there's 16 hours and 30 minutes left in the warning, give it a rest!

Heavy rain started now in cork city, sounds like big drops on the skylights .

Looking at netweather a heavy band is incoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Biblical rain now in East Cork

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Biblical rain now in East Cork

Same in bishopstown currently, or well it's just starting to get very heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Weather terrible in Tipp. Howling wind & rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Very windy now in west Kerry - noise outside has been rising steadily for the past hour. Steady wind with occasional gusts. Nothing too bad for this part of the world so far, but stormy enough for this time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lottpaul wrote: »
    Very windy now in west Kerry - noise outside has been rising steadily for the past hour. Steady wind with occasional gusts. Nothing too bad for this part of the world so far, but stormy enough for this time of the year.

the same up here, west mayo offshore. loud gusts all the night long and a small lake between dwelling and gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

Is it just me or is most of the heavy rain a fair bit more east than was being forecasted? I'm in north Kildare and have moderate rain at the moment. Water butt ran dry a couple of days ago however I would say it's full again by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,586 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks like this batch will max out over the east this morning with another wave of moisture heading north to arrive in Munster late morning hours, then up the west coast through the afternoon. Everyone gets a turn apparently. (some get two or three however)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kutebride

After two days escaping the rain its pouring down here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Kutebride wrote: »
    After two days escaping the rain its pouring down here in Meath.

Lashing rain in Cork now for approx 40 hours straight. Unbelievable stuff. Getting worse too.....

• Advertisement

Looks like this batch will max out over the east this morning with another wave of moisture heading north to arrive in Munster late morning hours, then up the west coast through the afternoon. Everyone gets a turn apparently. (some get two or three however)

lol.. love the humour..

getting wild beyond belief out here now

west mayo offshore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Windy now in Dublin but not too wet. 2.2mm recorded since midnight in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Absolutely disgusting day in Cork City. Got drenched on the 2 minute walk from the car to work. Can't ever remember it happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Absolutely disgusting day in Cork City. Got drenched on the 2 minute walk from the car to work. Can't ever remember it happening before.

How long have you been working?! or lived in Ireland?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent gust of 55kts at DunLaoghaire.

Stuff getting thrown around here in Dublin 16.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Recent gust of 55kts at DunLaoghaire.

Stuff getting thrown around here in Dublin 16.

Y'day 2 large planters, well filled at the base with large stones, took off across the pathway. All my other seed trays etc are inside. But I thought those were safe.

Out here it is the direction that is causing greater problems. SE catches parts that are protected from others

ferocious now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Shocking morning in Cork City - it's like a winters morning! If this rain keeps up all day, there's gonna be a fair bit of flooding I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭glwaymiko

Bad morning here too, very windy,sheets of rain cool.... east Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Profoundly miserable morning in North Dublin. Near horizontal rain at times :mad:

EURO4 model has over 100mm for parts of Waterford in 20 hours!

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/ has 19.3mm since midnight after 34mm yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Pops_20 wrote: »

You must have lived a sheltered life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Villain wrote: »
    EURO4 model has over 100mm for parts of Waterford in 20 hours!

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/ has 19.3mm since midnight after 34mm yesterday.

Today could pass as a normal November day. Lots of rain and a slight chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Feck all rain here in east wicklow,just 2mm total since midnight
    None yesterday or Saturday
    Just drizzle at the moment
    Very cold gusty wind off that sea though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hail and sleet in Letterkenny, horrible morning

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Strong winds in Clonmel. Nervously watching trees, but the mad lads next door are doing roofing work...

Strong winds in Clonmel. Nervously watching trees, but the mad lads next door are doing roofing work...

we got no trees out here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

60.1mm of rain at Cork Airport up to now according to Kilkenny Weather.

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1117703155742052352

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Very gusty this am in Ennistimon, Co. Clare. Big swell off Doolin Pier. Not looking forward to the commute back across to south east today.

Looks like some high rainfall totals along the south coupled with the strong driving wind. Yuck! Roll on the sizzling BBQ weekend B-) .

Wind still hitting the house all night here in cork city, looks like there's a band of very heavy rain just east of us and there's a bit slowly working towards us. What a rotten weekend. Lots of flooding according to cork safety alerts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Another 37mm on top of the 26mm yesterday.

Advertisement