Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin, Prague or Amsterdam?

• 11-04-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Im hoping to get away on a 3 day city break in a few weeks time. I'm looking at Berlin, Prague or Amsterdam. Any advice on which one you prefer and why? We are a couple, late 30's. We arent looking for anything wild. Sightseeing, lunch, dinner and drinks is all we intend to do!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Im hoping to get away on a 3 day city break in a few weeks time. I'm looking at Berlin, Prague or Amsterdam. Any advice on which one you prefer and why? We are a couple, late 30's. We arent looking for anything wild. Sightseeing, lunch, dinner and drinks is all we intend to do!!

I have been in all 3 recently

Prague
    ———
    I didn’t like Prague I found the people cold and everybody trying to rip tourists off
    Wouldn’t go back here

Berlin
    ——-
    there was loads to do Berlin Wall , Brandenburg Gate checkpoint Charlie and loads more
    Cool city and the trains are easily to follow and make your way around
    Price wise the prices are fair slightly cheaper than Irish prices
    Good food and beer
    Safe city
    Worth a trip

Amsterdam
    —————
    Great city to go as a couple.
    Very relaxed city
    We did the canal boat tour
    A trip to Vondelpark
    We went to a diamond museum and a walk to the museum area
    Highly recommend this city
    Price wise slightly cheaper than Ireland
    Safe city to walk around and just chill with a coffee

Enjoy!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My own preference would be Berlin, Amsterdam, Prague.

I love Berlin though, so may be biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'd recommend any of them, but tbh Prague would be my favourite. The centre is just so beautiful, and after I went there the first time with a friend I vowed I had to go back with my girlfriend (now wife), and I did. Amsterdam would be a close second with so much more to do than you might think at first. The Rijksmuseum is great if you're into that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

Amsterdam all day long.
    Lots to do & a beautiful city. Cant go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Another for Amsterdam - great restaurants, great art, quirky shops and so much of the city looking like something from a fairytale.

Forego the big boat tours & book with these guys for €23pp. You can bring your own food & wine onboard and chill as you glide silently along the canals in an electric boat. Really recommend it.

https://www.thosedamboatguys.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It depends on what lights your bulb.
    Prague is a beautiful city, Berlin is not pretty but if 20th century history is your thing then it is really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Go to Rotterdam, all the greatness of the Dam but none of the sleaze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Prague for me - love that city. Berlin a close second. Amsterdam in he also rans.

Go to Rotterdam, all the greatness of the Dam but none of the sleaze

Rotterdam is funky in spots but it's not in the same stratosphere as Amsterdam for charm or culture.

As for sleaze, it's very easily avoided. Five minutes walk beyond De Wallen & the red light district reveals a city choc-full of quirky design shops, second-hand bookstores, indie boutiques, excellent cuisine and atmospheric & cosy brown cafes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Rotterdam is funky in spots but it's not in the same stratosphere as Amsterdam for charm or culture.

As for sleaze, it's very easily avoided. Five minutes walk beyond De Wallen & the red light district reveals a city choc-full of quirky design shops, second-hand bookstores, indie boutiques, excellent cuisine and atmospheric & cosy brown cafes.

Could not agree more on this. I was in Amsterdam last week and avoided the area completely. Judging Amsterdam because of the Red Light District is the equivalent of judging London on Leicester Square.

• Advertisement

Could not agree more on this. I was in Amsterdam last week and avoided the area completely. Judging Amsterdam because of the Red Light District is the equivalent of judging London on Leicester Square.

I wouldn't advocate that either tbh BB.

Some of the oldest parts of the city are contained within De Wallen, the Oude Kerk being Amsterdam's oldest building. There's also a fascinating clandestine church in the attic of a canal house, where persecuted Catholics gathered to worship in the 1600's.

https://www.opsolder.nl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Amsterdam, then Berlin, then Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

none of them. for me its Paris.
    but based on recommendations from friends id say Berlin would be the best of the three you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Was in both Berlin and Amsterdam with the wife in recent years. Loved both. Cycling tours or walking food tours are a great way to get a feel of both cities. I also love checking out old cinemas. In Amsterdam try the Pathé Tuschinski. Many movies play in English with Dutch subtitles. Lots of great bars and restaurants in both cities. I just get out there and walk all day and just soak the city up.

Was in Prague as a student. Can't remember much of it.

Our next city break will be Hamburg in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Amsterdam is beautiful any time of year, the old buildings, the canals and parks.
    Rotterdam is cool too but I think was bombed extensively by the Germans so a lot of the buildings are newer.
    Rijk museum, heiniken tour, Ann Frank's, tram system excellent, people friendly.
    Only drawback is its a bit pricy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Yes I thought it was pricey too. I loved all the neighbourhoods. I felt there was more to do in Berlin and it was slighlty cheaper. Both great cities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Berlin > Amsterdam > Prague

They are all beautiful cities with great history but it really depends on what you want to do and see.

One note about Prague though, they don't use the Euro currency, and it's fairly common to get ripped off while exchanging money over there.

Phat Cat wrote: »

One note about Prague though, they don't use the Euro currency, and it's fairly common to get ripped off while exchanging money over there.

No it isn't. Easier to just use an ATM anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Haven't been to Amsterdam in 11 years, just booked a midweek in July. The price of accommodation is staggering compared to what it was. Best apartment I could find is 630 plus 70 cleaning cost for 3 nights (even the cleaners are expensive).

Great city though, not sleazy at all. Especially midweek, no stags so less of the Charlie's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emkell032

That you're not looking for anything wild is a bit surprising, as these are all places I had a wild time in when younger.
    Was in Amsterdam and Prague when 18, and Berlin when 25.

Having said that, they're all really interesting cities with plenty to see and do. I would love to see each as someone in 30s, perhaps would look totally different now!

Anyway, I would say that my order would be Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam. I think there's a little bit of a "gimmicky" aspect to Amsterdam, in that it's intriguingingly different to other countries but actually there's not a huge amount to do (unless you're 18!)

• Advertisement

No it isn't. Easier to just use an ATM anyway.

Really?

https://www.smartertravel.com/money-exchange-prague-warnings-dangers/

ATM's are the only way to go in Prague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Been to all three over the years. Berlin is definitely my favourite although I did live there for three years and speak the language so may be a bit biased, then Amsterdam and finally Prague. Found Amsterdam definitely friendlier than Prague with a lot more to do and see. The transport links in both Berlin and Amsterdam mean that you can easily take a day trip out of the city to visit some of the more outlying towns as well.

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Really?

https://www.smartertravel.com/money-exchange-prague-warnings-dangers/

ATM's are the only way to go in Prague

So you'll get a bad rate and high commission if you go to an unscrupulous exchange place? Well, who knew! You'll only get ripped off if you're a fecking eejit. Hey, go look at the exchange place upstairs in Gatwick airport and check those rates - legalised, officially supported robbery. You can get crap exchanges anywhere. No need to just use ATMs in Prague (although for many it is the best option), simply go into one of the many Czech or German banks and get your cash worry free - and they won't leave you stuck with 2000Kc notes like the ATMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can't speak for the 'Dam' as never been, but Prague comes out top for me. Best if possible though to avoid the weekend if you can. Less crowds particularly stags.

So you'll get a bad rate and high commission if you go to an unscrupulous exchange place? Well, who knew! You'll only get ripped off if you're a fecking eejit. Hey, go look at the exchange place upstairs in Gatwick airport and check those rates - legalised, officially supported robbery. You can get crap exchanges anywhere. No need to just use ATMs in Prague (although for many it is the best option), simply go into one of the many Czech or German banks and get your cash worry free - and they won't leave you stuck with 2000Kc notes like the ATMs.

Jaysus, relax the cacks there chief, I'm only trying to give the OP some advice from experience, no need to go on a mini rant.

Don't get me wrong, Prague is a stunning city, it's up there in terms of beauty with the likes of Vienna and Paris, but it does have a bad reputation with tourists being scammed, not just with ATM or currency exchanges either, but that's obviously a common enough one concerning tourists.

EDIT: Hold up, it looks like the Czech government have finally put a stop to dodgy currency exchange places in Prague.

https://news.expats.cz/weekly-czech-news/ripoff-prague-exchange-offices-no-more-new-czech-law-protecting-customers-takes-effect/

Advertisement