Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumour: JetBlue to announce transatlantic services

Options
  • 10-04-2019 10:15pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

JetBlue currently having a display at JFK where it's strongly rumoured they will announce services to London and Paris

Edit: confirmed JFK/BOS to London

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

https://twitter.com/JetBlue/status/1116089155962851328?s=19

It's official. Hope it's a success, they are my favourite American airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They have also mapped DUB, AMS, PAR, MAD, LIS as routes for A321LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Are these the Ryanair of America? If so I'll stick with air lingus and American airlines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Phil.x wrote: »
    Are these the Ryanair of America? If so I'll stick with air lingus and American airlines.

No. That's Southwest you are thinking of possibly

JetBlue seem to be aiming for a premium heavy market across the Atlantic rather than trying to be the next Norwegian/Primera/Wow Air

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭x567

Phil.x wrote: »

I’d think of them more as the Aer Lingus of America. Low cost-ish, good product, friendly staff and good route network. If they make a go of it they’ll be a worthwhile competitor and good option across the Atlantic. I’d still take EI first though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

This announcement was somewhat underwhelming for many but not totally unexpected. All JetBlue have done today is confirm their intention to fly to London and give a loose timeframe of when they expect it to happen...a whole two years away. There's been no airports selected, no schedule and no fares. Essentially they've just given their rivals a big heads up! 

Going accross the Atlantic has been a big ambition of JetBlue for many years, it's something they've generated hype around themselves for a long time so it was always expected and I congratulate them for taking the next step in making it a reality but the airline currently suffers from its own operational woes, the market they intend to enter is brutal and many have already tried and failed, I'm not sure why JetBlue thinks it will be any different but we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »
    No. That's Southwest you are thinking of possibly

JetBlue seem to be aiming for a premium heavy market across the Atlantic rather than trying to be the next Norwegian/Primera/Wow Air

While ryanair was based on Southwest, they're very different.

They don't do LCC's in the US like they do in Europe. Domestic air travel is shockingly expensive in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

A DUB route would be interesting and I think they might be able to give it a better go than Norwegian/Primera/Wow etc. I've had a couple of flights in Mint and it really is eh.. Mint. I do wonder too if a lot of American travellers would be more inclined to travel with them than an EU LCC. They also might be able to mop up any business left behind by AA leaving JFK - DUB although it's still a pretty crowded market in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Irish times now reporting it too https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-partner-jetblue-eyes-flights-from-us-to-dublin-1.3857120

Would be an EI code share flight too so I can see it doing well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

JCX BXC wrote: »
    While ryanair was based on Southwest, they're very different.

They don't do LCC's in the US like they do in Europe. Domestic air travel is shockingly expensive in the US.
    I’ve always hated the phrase “Micheal O’Leary successfully copies the Southwest business mode”. He didn’t didn’t, he took 3 parts of the business model and transformed Ryanair into the ULCC they have become.

I think Spirit Airlines are the only European style LCC in the US. They charge for everything. They get a lot of jokes sent their way from talk show hosts.
    JetBlue have a premium economy/business type cabin* on their transcontinental A321s, extra legroom seats on all other aircraft, free unlimited drinks and snack (charge for food items and alcohol only) as well as live TV and free WiFi.

*The seats are the same as EI business class but I don’t know if there is a separate service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frontier, Sun Country and Allegiant all operate a Ryanair-esque model in addition to Spirit. Frontier and Allegiant are arguably the closest on a cabin configuration level as Spirit offer a "Big Front Seat" product up front, which is essentially a non-reclining older style US3 domestic first seat.

And yes to the point made earlier, air travel in the US is very expensive. It's often as cheap to fly to Europe as it is to fly transcontinental. Anything < $150 return, even on Spirit et al, is a really really good deal in the US. That being said, the concept of miles/points isn't really a thing in Europe to the extent it is in the US so swings and roundabouts!

The JetBlue Mint product will blow any other carriers premium economy offerings out of the water so if they price it accurately they'll do really well with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Is Mint a premium economy or biz class product ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Full biz and probably the best business (or first class as they call it on the US). Same seat EI uses, but they have doors for extra privacy. Free WiFi (which works)

Economy class is also probably the best economy in the US, still free WiFi down the back and best leg room in class.

Jetblue also by far the nicest staff as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It’s a small niggle but JetBlue wifi is ground based so won’t operate oceanic (unless they do a deal for satellite system on their A321LRs).

Met the JetBlue chief of marketing a few years back. Very nice guy (Marty St,George)
    He was very exuberant about his airline and their staff. He told me that regardless of department they join all JetBlue staff get a company day with other new entrants within their first week in training. The idea is for them all to get the message that all staff, regardless of role, are a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Tenger wrote: »
    It’s a small niggle but JetBlue wifi is ground based so won’t operate oceanic (unless they do a deal for satellite system on their A321LRs).

that's a radome for satellite wifi

http://images.app.goo.gl/pJq1Jhf9CnCLApa57

Advertisement