Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior/infants, are they the most popular classes?

Options
  • 10-04-2019 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

As per the title, are the junior classes the classes that every teacher wants?

Do these teachers then do their own work (planning) etc on school grounds until all the students finish for the day?

Finally, if you do TP for junior/senior infants can you leave when you finish (one hour before the others) or do you have to wait until the whole school finishes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

30 four or five year olds? Sounds like my idea of hell.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hi,

As per the title, are the junior classes the classes that every teacher wants?

Do these teachers then do their own work (planning) etc on school grounds until all the students finish for the day?

Finally, if you do TP for junior/senior infants can you leave when you finish (one hour before the others) or do you have to wait until the whole school finishes.

If you’re looking for the handy time stay well clear of Junior and Senior I’d say!

But to answer one of your questions, yes, they are expected to stay until the school day finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,294 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not a teacher from what I know.
    The junior classes aren't loved but some like them.
    Yes these teachers stay behind until the school day is over.
    Students in doing TP often have a lot of prep work to do in school.
    Just a note I'd make if you were in a school and were known for bolting out the door it may not look good for when your looking for jobs in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks for the replies so far, I’m hoping to teach the junior classes on one TP. I have been offered one by a teacher I know but the school is 90 mins away from my house so I’m just weighing it up. I will have hours of prep work to do every night as I will need to submit my lessons plans each night. If it’s in a very small school could I stay on and do my prep there for the hour? Thanks

P.S. out of interest which classes are most popular? I’m hoping to do one middle class, one junior class and one senior class. I’m hoping that one TP will be a split class. Hopefully this mix will be the best for my CV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

JI/SI are very hard work. Constant attention is needed by the vast majority of them. Parents can be overbearing at times but you will be shielded from that on TP by the actual class teacher. On TP you have loads of work to be doing so don't worry you won't be having any need to skip off home with the kids(it isn't allowed anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Realistically, you will have to take what you will get. Schools are inundated with students looking for placements and many will only take their past pupils only.

Every class involves massive paper work and prep. If you have an eye to a job down the road, it's the quality of your prep/teaching that will speak about you. You will have to do the same hours as every other teacher, so when the infants go home, you stay until the school closes at 3.

As to your CV, grades count more than the classes you have taken on TP and once you start to work, TP isn't factored in at all, it's the references from the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Teaching Junior Infants this year...it’s full on. That hour in the evening is spent tidying up after a busy day. It’s def a different type of tiredness..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Thanks for all the advice folks. I appreciate it. This is all new to me, so I’m delighted to get your views on it. I have two of my TP sorted thank god. Trying to get the last one in the bag. I’m probably overthinking getting the balance right. And I have no problem staying in the school for hours if I need to or tidying up the class etc.

Advertisement