Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael force Ultra or Quest 12 or both 2019.

Options
  • 10-04-2019 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Anyone sign up for one or both this year or intend too?
    Looking at the dates so seems to be just enough apart from each other...
    The question is would you bother with both or just do the one?
    Excluding the cost factor for now (thats why Quest 24 is defo a non runner)
    Both involve a lot of travelling...
    Ive done the standard GFW so looks a friendlier format to bounce into Q12...
    Any feedback on either Ultra greatly appreciated...:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Did Quest 12 last year. Well marked and is manageable enough as my training time was limited with work etc

First cycle starts with a long steady climb out of Sneem. Few kilometres of downhill/flat and then the push up Ballaghbeama. This peaks in the last 1500 metres or so. Fast descent down the other side and a flat enough run then to T1. Last few kilometres have a couple of climbs with the last 500 metres or so a real kick in the teeth.

Carrauntouhil is probably not as bad as you would expect. Alot of it is runable and only the Devils ladder is a scramble. The rest you can hike. Nice descent down the Zig Zags

Cycle 2 retraces the flat section of cycle 1 until the junction to Ballaghisheen. Longer climb here with a flat section in the middle. Kick again on the final piece of the pass near the hairpin. Another very fast descent and a flat run into Waterville (almost TT territory)

40 minutes to an hour of kayak with a very shallow section in one part of the lake last year. Had to get out and push the boat at one stage. Avoided this second lap around. Few hundred metres of a run to and from the lake to T2 on gravel.

Cycle 3 is main ring of Kerry road up Coomacista and downhill then all the way to T3.

The final trail run (18k) is not overly tough either with the last half or so on level enough country road. 4 or maybe 5 climbs in the middle but nothing huge. A few slippery patches in the fire breaks so trail shoes are advisable. Something like an intermediate pair as alot of road and gravel path. About 200 metres through a little wood just before the finish that was not very nice at that stage.

Was a beautiful day last year which took some of the hardship out of it

*All descriptions above given with rose tinted hindsight so no responsibility taken if it as tough as hell.

Not sure if I have garmin files or not. Will try root them out if I do.

Finished in a bit over 9:30 and as i said had poor enough training regime in the run up to it. Would have been stepping up from Sport type races so was a big change in distance

I had managed to do the 3 cycles and the last run a month or so before the race so I knew what the conditions were like and had done Carrauntouhil twice also.

Road surfaces are pretty good on the climbs and descents with the flat section from Ballaghisheen to Waterville being the worst from memory and that isnt completely rubbish.

Used cycle shoes and had runners in each transition box for each run section.

Dont know anyone who did both. Padraig O'Connor from Kayathlon did GF Ultra and was signed up but injured for Quest 12. Nice guy and will give plenty of info if you can contact him through Kayathlon.

Let me know if you want anything specific other than above

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanohig

I did GFW Ultra and Quest 24 last year, both were great events and we were charmed with the weather.
    I had hoped to do the Ultra again this year but it clashed with a family event and I have since heard it is canceled not sure why. Its not listed on their site now. Its a real pity the first run on it was amazing. Quest 24 was terrific too I found the cycling tough but I probably needed a little extra training on the bike. Date doesn't really suit me too well with kids going back to school etc, I'd highly recommend it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

seanohig wrote: »
    I did GFW Ultra and Quest 24 last year, both were great events and we were charmed with the weather.
    I had hoped to do the Ultra again this year but it clashed with a family event and I have since heard it is canceled not sure why. Its not listed on their site now. Its a real pity the first run on it was amazing. Quest 24 was terrific too I found the cycling tough but I probably needed a little extra training on the bike. Date doesn't really suit me too well with kids going back to school etc, I'd highly recommend it nonetheless.

Will investigate GFW Ultra news....thanks for the heads up sean
    Just emailed them so hopefully get a response tomorrow..

Poor farmer thanks for the info..might have to rethink the lot..

I’m getting into a European event monies doing some rough numbers...

Yeah got an email back from Gaelforce "situation was outside their control"...
    Taking names for 2020...
    Ah well.....

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Did Quest 12 last year. Well marked and is manageable enough as my training time was limited with work etc

First cycle starts with a long steady climb out of Sneem. Few kilometres of downhill/flat and then the push up Ballaghbeama. This peaks in the last 1500 metres or so. Fast descent down the other side and a flat enough run then to T1. Last few kilometres have a couple of climbs with the last 500 metres or so a real kick in the teeth.

Carrauntouhil is probably not as bad as you would expect. Alot of it is runable and only the Devils ladder is a scramble. The rest you can hike. Nice descent down the Zig Zags

Cycle 2 retraces the flat section of cycle 1 until the junction to Ballaghisheen. Longer climb here with a flat section in the middle. Kick again on the final piece of the pass near the hairpin. Another very fast descent and a flat run into Waterville (almost TT territory)

40 minutes to an hour of kayak with a very shallow section in one part of the lake last year. Had to get out and push the boat at one stage. Avoided this second lap around. Few hundred metres of a run to and from the lake to T2 on gravel.

Cycle 3 is main ring of Kerry road up Coomacista and downhill then all the way to T3.

The final trail run (18k) is not overly tough either with the last half or so on level enough country road. 4 or maybe 5 climbs in the middle but nothing huge. A few slippery patches in the fire breaks so trail shoes are advisable. Something like an intermediate pair as alot of road and gravel path. About 200 metres through a little wood just before the finish that was not very nice at that stage.

Was a beautiful day last year which took some of the hardship out of it

*All descriptions above given with rose tinted hindsight so no responsibility taken if it as tough as hell.

Not sure if I have garmin files or not. Will try root them out if I do.

Finished in a bit over 9:30 and as i said had poor enough training regime in the run up to it. Would have been stepping up from Sport type races so was a big change in distance

I had managed to do the 3 cycles and the last run a month or so before the race so I knew what the conditions were like and had done Carrauntouhil twice also.

Road surfaces are pretty good on the climbs and descents with the flat section from Ballaghisheen to Waterville being the worst from memory and that isnt completely rubbish.

Used cycle shoes and had runners in each transition box for each run section.

Dont know anyone who did both. Padraig O'Connor from Kayathlon did GF Ultra and was signed up but injured for Quest 12. Nice guy and will give plenty of info if you can contact him through Kayathlon.

Let me know if you want anything specific other than above

Poorfarmer would you have a strava file you could send me?
    think i have a cancellation

• Advertisement

Poorfarmer would you have a strava file you could send me? think i have a cancellation

I'm not sure on that. Will have to give a look later. Dont do Strava but may still have the .gpx files. Will PM them to you if I do

I'm not sure on that. Will have to give a look later. Dont do Strava but may still have the .gpx files. Will PM them to you if I do

Sound...
    Ah i'll be doing it anyway just want to see if the bogey knee can manage

Poorfarmer would you have a strava file you could send me? think i have a cancellation

No luck with those mate. I'll see if i can get them off a workmate next week. Unless the knee is well dodgy you should be ok. The descent off Carrauntoohil is the worst you'll have to do. Nothing overly steep or long on the final run as regards downhills if that's where the knee suffers (mine does on these)

No luck with those mate. I'll see if i can get them off a workmate next week. Unless the knee is well dodgy you should be ok. The descent off Carrauntoohil is the worst you'll have to do. Nothing overly steep or long on the final run as regards downhills if that's where the knee suffers (mine does on these)

Sound...
    Its the last of the high peaks of Ireland to race over so might be worth the effort and pain..
    Ive hiked down Devils ladder in bad weather previously so its not totally unknown to me but will be taking it very easy.

Sound... Its the last of the high peaks of Ireland to race over so might be worth the effort and pain.. Ive hiked down Devils ladder in bad weather previously so its not totally unknown to me but will be taking it very easy.

Descent is down the zig-zags so more speed and less taking it easy. I think Quest may have put up Strava segments of the the cycle legs in one of the blogs they do (I think it may have been Conor Kissane so good luck trying to stick to his times)

• Advertisement

Just incase anyone is looking for the links to Quest 12 Stages and profiles

Stage 1
    Distance: 48km Cycle
    Total Elevation: 818
    Link to route: www.plotaroute.com/route/707781

Stage 2
    Distance: 13.00km Mountain Run
    Total Elevation: 922
    Link to Route Map: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/707788

Stage 3
    Distance: 48km Cycle
    Total Elevation: 514
    Link to Route Map: www.plotaroute.com/route/707790

Stage 4
    Distance: 5km kayak
    Link to Route Map: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/707793

Stage 5
    Distance: 14km Cycle
    Total Elevation: 234m
    Link to Route Map: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/707798

Stage 6
    Distance: 18km Trail Run
    Total Elevation: 467
    Link to Route Map: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/707800

I have a link to the complete route but its off a lad whos probably oblivious so with GDPR PM me.

Advertisement