Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official 2019 Masters Thread (Mod note post#1)

• 07-04-2019 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Can't believe that this is on this week! Seems to be a very understated buildup. Usually people are talking weeks in advance but maybe it's just me.

Anyhow, haven't done much studying thus far but think Tony Finau may have chance this week.

Few rules for this week

This is NOT the thread to moan about coverage/lack of coverage/commentators et al. - we have a thread for that and if you post in in here moaning or praising for that matter it will just be deleted.

This is NOT the thread for gambling talk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It's Masters week! Best golfing week of the year. Great pic of your 2019 champ on the course late yesterday evening

https://twitter.com/NickFaldo006/status/1115067192146563072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When are tee times usually announced for this? Tuesday afternoon Irish time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hey all, I don't have sky sports and looking to see how I can watch the Masters this weekend. I'm looking at the now tv pass but unsure how this works. Do you need a separate box or can you pay the fee and stream it via the smart TV. Any advice would be appreciated.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Hey all, I don't have sky sports and looking to see how I can watch the Masters this weekend. I'm looking at the now tv pass but unsure how this works. Do you need a separate box or can you pay the fee and stream it via the smart TV. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some smart TVs you can install nowtv app. If you have a chromecast you can stream to it from phone. I used now TV for Ryder cup and it was great very little issue occasionally it buffered but seem to do it during adds. BBC are showing it highlights Thursday/Friday and live Saturday and Sunday. Also if your with eir they're showing all for days live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good read on strokes gained over the history of the masters. Makes a good case for Jordan Spieth.

https://www.15thclub.com/2019/04/08/strokes-gained-augusta/

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Good read on strokes gained over the history of the masters. Makes a good case for Jordan Spieth.

https://www.15thclub.com/2019/04/08/strokes-gained-augusta/

He has basically disassembled and reassembled his swing in the last year and is struggling to hit it straight in any sort of capacity. They did a swing analysis from the valero and its worlds apart from what it used to be when he was winning majors

Rikand wrote: »
    He has basically disassembled and reassembled his swing in the last year and is struggling to hit it straight in any sort of capacity. They did a swing analysis from the valero and its worlds apart from what it used to be when he was winning majors

Yeah he struggling hugely especially off the tee so I wouldn't give him much chance myself although he wasn't in good form last year and he nearly won it, his stats around Augusta are phenomenal though, if he gets off to a good start you couldn't rule him out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The new Conor sketch’s is very good. Can’t imbed it at the moment. Live the Gary player impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Are tee times not due today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Nice one, Rory should be just finishing up as coverage starts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The new Conor sketch’s is very good. Can’t imbed it at the moment. Live the Gary player impression

The Player impression was so good :D

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/1115610313125240832

https://youtu.be/gt6RgC99JUs

Good video clip from the course. Crazy how wide the fairways are and how hilly it is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So,the best tournament of the season is days away. A bit like the Grand National,anybody could win it and you couldnt call it as so many have a chance. The draw has being made and at the moment its pretty damp around Agusta,and i"m wondering what effect,if any will it have on early/late starters

Players & Sponsors... we really don't give a sh*t what your player will be wearing for the 4 days. In fact, some of your players are silly putting up their outfits for 4 days as there is good chance they will be going home after 2. Please and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

HighLine wrote: »
    Players & Sponsors... we really don't give a sh*t what your player will be wearing for the 4 days. In fact, some of your players are silly putting up their outfits for 4 days as there is good chance they will be going home after 2. Please and thanks.

Never underestimate the impact this stuff can have on younger people who will want the newest trends/clothes. Only reason it's done, cos as you say, we don't give a damn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Masters were streaming the 16th live on YouTube yesterday so I assume more of the same for the next day or so......for those that can't get enough of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So,the best tournament of the season is days away. A bit like the Grand National,anybody could win it and you couldnt call it as so many have a chance. The draw has being made and at the moment its pretty damp around Agusta,and i"m wondering what effect,if any will it have on early/late starters

Wouldn't quite say that.

If that's the case you could say that about any tournament/event in the world ever

Its hard to make a call on this when none of the players seemed to be able to make a call on it themselves.

The state of the art sub air system is meant to be all over the course so they have some control over how soft the fairways play but I've listened to mutliple player interviews and they all seem to have different opinions on how soft it will be come thursday.

Kevin Kishner said if it plays soft and given the way they cut the fairways there will be no roll which will suit the players who can carry it furthest OTT. He said he would be a 2-3 maybe 4 club length disadvantage on his approach shots into greens which he reckons will be up to speed come thursday.

Phil reckoned they can do what they want to the course more or less and it will be up to speed by Thursday, maybe that was based off the current weather predictions on Tuesday

• Advertisement

I know it's only the Par 3 comp but this great to watch. A special memory for Shane I'm sure.

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1116053615406350336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok.

I'm finished with all these kids and girlfriends.

The Masters

It's bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s unique and want it that way, not a PGA or even USGA tournament, they run one tournament a year and run it their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Still prefer The Open as there up against the elements - Real Golf imo.. but The Masters is a good second..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Masters by far for me is always the best major cant wait for the last 2 days to hit :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Did anyone see Lowry last night after he got the hole in one, great scenes, such a likeable chap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

There is no dominant player in the game at the moment.
    I expect the winner to be a player winning his first major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

just realised why i prefer the masters over all other majors. it's early April when there's very little else on. other majors in the summer, there's Clare hurling matches, trips to the beach and sometimes Euros/WC/Olympics to distract from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Couple of good articles about Rory & Tiger on this site. I generally read it for their politics stuff, but they throw in a few good stats based sports articles too:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/this-is-rory-mcilroys-masters-to-lose/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tiger-woods-may-not-get-a-better-shot-at-another-green-jacket/

• Advertisement

If I was putting the house on it I'd go Rory but have a sneaky feeling JT will be wearing green come Sunday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

The new features on masters.com for shot tracking are good. just watched first tee shots there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

is it just sky sports tonight lads ?
    I know bbc have saturday and sunday alright

Pissartist wrote: »
    is it just sky sports tonight lads ?
    I know bbc have saturday and sunday alright

Eir Sports have all 4 days live I believe? I know that they were showing the par 3 last night

Bogey for Shane on the first, not an ideal start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Level after 4. Good up and down on the fourth which is a tough par 3

The masters app/shot tracker is amazing they really do great things with it usually but they have just raised the bar.

They are clipping in all the players shots soon after they happen so you can watch all the shots on any golfer

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1116318162503569411

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Fully expecting Sandy Lyle to give the pgatour computer a decent workout this week, calculating his score.

It's over 30 (thirty) years since he won his green jacket, and he really is stretching it by turning up yet again. I hope he is going to be taken aside soon by the organisers.

At least, finally, we won't have to face him in the Open this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

martinkop wrote: »
    The new features on masters.com for shot tracking are good. just watched first tee shots there.

bigtime. every shot in the tournament on video. pretty slick.

Shane struggling with his driving. One over after 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Fully expecting Sandy Lyle to give the pgatour computer a decent workout this week, calculating his score.

It's over 30 (thirty) years since he won his green jacket, and he really is stretching it by turning up yet again. I hope he is going to be taken aside soon by the organisers.

I think it oozes class and respect that former champs will always get an invitation to the Masters. For example, Jack Burke. the '56 champion, is 96, clearly not competitive but he would have gotten the invitation with the RSVP on it that every other invitee this year received. A lifetime exemption indeed. Sure, the organisers absolutely know he will decline and is always welcome to show up for the Champions dinner and to get his honorarium but he still earned the right to get that annual invite. He'll get another one next year.

That's the prestige you get when you win The Masters. I can say with some confidence that Sandy Lyle is not going to win but that is not the point. It's what makes it unique and it's very much an event that piles on the nostalgia, the history and the appreciation for good golf. It's not like Lyle et al are playing army golf either, they post over par numbers because it's a bloody hard course. There will be patrons there this year who will have personally seen Lyle win in 88 and when he plays through they will get to show him their appreciation with quiet applause. It's easy to be cynical about that but it's the way they like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He's got some ways to go before he matches Billy Casper in '05 though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Trampas

Only missed the cut last year by a shot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You've made 10 posts in this forum - the majority of them are having a dig at Sandy Lyle. You clearly don't like him, we get it. Now don't post in here again if that's all you are going to add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Shane Lowry +3 after 11,hope he is not heading home tomorrow evening.

Now +4 after 12. Game hasn’t been good the last month or so so not that surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Shane Lowry +3 after 11,hope he is not heading home tomorrow evening.

he needs to pray heading into amen corner that he can get a few sho0ts back. driving is poor but some of his iron play is off. has got a few good up and downs to save par. if he could hit a few greens he might just do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

he needs to pray heading into amen corner that he can get a few sho0ts back. driving is poor but some of his iron play is off. has got a few good up and downs to save par. if he could hit a few greens he might just do that

Gone to +4 now,he is so inconsistent.

Out of bounds with first shot on 13th. His driving is awful at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

valoren wrote: »
    I think it oozes class and respect that former champs will always get an invitation to the Masters. For example, Jack Burke. the '56 champion, is 96, clearly not competitive but he would have gotten the invitation with the RSVP on it that every other invitee this year received. A lifetime exemption indeed. Sure, the organisers absolutely know he will decline and is always welcome to show up for the Champions dinner and to get his honorarium but he still earned the right to get that annual invite. He'll get another one next year.

That's the prestige you get when you win The Masters. I can say with some confidence that Sandy Lyle is not going to win but that is not the point. It's what makes it unique and it's very much an event that piles on the nostalgia, the history and the appreciation for good golf. It's not like Lyle et al are playing army golf either, they post over par numbers because it's a bloody hard course. There will be patrons there this year who will have seen Lyle win in 88 and when he plays through they will get to show him their appreciation with quiet applause. It's easy to be cynical about that but it's the way they like it.
    Agree 100%. It's a contributory factor in what makes it such a special sporting event.

....Although, do players over 65 still get an invite? Think the playing till you die aspect has been done away with. Perhaps though they still get the invite but there is an unwritten rule that you wont play past 65.

• Advertisement
Advertisement