Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for stop off between Holyhead and Portsmouth

Options
  • 06-04-2019 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I am traveling with three small kids in July by car from Holyhead to Portsmouth and was hoping for a recommendation of where to break the journey ? Not even sure what's the best route to take. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That's a long journey. Maybe stop in Oxford would be nice, about 60% of journey done at that stage. Depends on what you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I don't really know Oxford, only been there on 3-4 brief trips, but is there much to do in Oxford that would interest small kids? If the need is to entertain them during a long journey, might there be a better range of things in Birmingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

The ferry arrives after 4pm so just want to get half or more of the journey done and complete following day. I'm kind of thinking I'd like to avoid the stress of city driving so wondering where would I stay that's relatively easy driving from motorway. Youngest is four so no babies. Thought of Worcester maybe ? Anyone been there before any other recommendations ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Isn't Birmingham notoriously dull?

Oxford has several Harry Potter locations which may be of interest. Depending on the kids' ages, Blenheim Palace outside Oxford may be an option too; Winston Churchill's family stately home.

There are motorway hotels which sound like the best option if you want to not drive into/out of a city. There's nothing to do in the area of course, but arrive at say 9pm after a few hours' driving and that won't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Visit the Severn Valley railway if that sort of thing would interest them in Kidderminster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

What about Warwick Castle in the town of Warwick outside Birmingham?
    It’s just off the motorway and around the halfway mark.
    https://www.warwick-castle.com/

I can also recommend the Black Country Museum in Dudley. Have been there twice and love it. Good for young kids!
    https://www.bclm.co.uk/

Stratford on Avon would also be a nice overnight stop. It’s a lovely town to explore and check out the boats on the Avon.There is also a butterfly farm there.
    https://www.butterflyfarm.co.uk/attraction/

Thanks for all the replies the Severn valley railway looks the business could do in morning and continue on way at lunchtime. What route would you recommend regardless of where I was over nighting to take. Google maps gives so many options ! A55 M56 M6 M40 A34 ? Obviously I would have to change route if I was stopping near Kidderminster. Thanks again lots of options posted

hatchman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies the Severn valley railway looks the business could do in morning and continue on way at lunchtime. What route would you recommend regardless of where I was over nighting to take. Google maps gives so many options ! A55 M56 M6 M40 A34 ? Obviously I would have to change route if I was stopping near Kidderminster. Thanks again lots of options posted

Glad I could help! Your best bet for routing is to open google maps on the day, will give you all the traffic updates etc then in real time.

Have you considered Rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Have you booked? Did you look at Rosslare-Pembroke? Its c100 miles shorter than via Holyhead.

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote:
    Have you booked? Did you look at Rosslare-Pembroke? Its c100 miles shorter than via Holyhead.

Thanks Jonathan yes I did consider rosslare alright but couldn't find anywhere nice to stop close to Fishguard. So I booked last week as I got a great deal on Irish ferries to Holyhead. I would have to go for late sailing with stenna to Fishguard and it wasn't arriving until 9pm which wasn't leaving much time to get to hotel. I would have 2 hour drive to rosslare so it all came down to arrival time and price as there isn't much in distance. I have booked travel lodge in Kidderminster and hope to do Severn Steam train the next morning after driving on to Chichester. On way back I booked a premier Inn at Telford only because its closer to Holyhead for next mornings drive. Thanks for all recommendations it was a great help. Hope it all goes well now !

hatchman wrote: »
    Thanks Jonathan yes I did consider rosslare alright but couldn't find anywhere nice to stop close to Fishguard. So I booked last week as I got a great deal on Irish ferries to Holyhead. I would have to go for late sailing with stenna to Fishguard and it wasn't arriving until 9pm which wasn't leaving much time to get to hotel. I would have 2 hour drive to rosslare so it all came down to arrival time and price as there isn't much in distance. I have booked travel lodge in Kidderminster and hope to do Severn Steam train the next morning after driving on to Chichester. On way back I booked a premier Inn at Telford only because its closer to Holyhead for next mornings drive. Thanks for all recommendations it was a great help. Hope it all goes well now !

On the way back, may I recommend the Telford open air museum, it's a whole victorian town where there are loads of actors in full dress and you have to use old currency there you change up for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

not too far off the route is Ludlow, which is a lovely market town, with medieval ruins. the road is also really nice, and it makes you miss the birmingham ringroad which can be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I did that trip a few years ago and stayed in the Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury. Family room was GBP120 but there is a pool in the hotel. Its a bit under 4 hours drive so a little over half way.

There is a small town a couple of minutes away for food that evening. the kids were a bit young to go sight seeing so we were happy in the pool

Advertisement