Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One rule for one teacher.....another rule for another!

Options
  • 01-04-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Etb school,teacher takes one class period out,tells the Principal,Principal OKs it,another colleague covers the class,all sounded fine! End of month the secretary comes around with the sheet,you know the one where you sign your name along side any time you spent away from school,(school business,match,sick leave etc) and lo and behold the teacher has to sign alongside her name, the whole day was considered as an away day when infact it was 40 minutes,one class which her colleague kindly covered!It was at no cost to the school/etb.
    I consider this outrageous.......and fcuk the Principal also for actually giving the teacher permission but then stinging her later!
    Is it any wonder the teaching profession is crap at present........and no word at all about "paying" the geriatric to sit on an interview panel with full gold plated pension.
    (Fair justice is short in Ireland. The teacher in question above is not myself.I'm glad to say other than a few matches I've not been away from school but for one day in the past few years and that was for a certified medical appointment that had to happen during school time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've never heard of this nonsense before. Sounds crazy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

On of the many many reasons I’d never ever go near a job in an ETB school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Never heard this in an ETB school. A funny practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

TheDriver wrote: »
    Never heard this in an ETB school. A funny practice.

This is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why don't you just correct the information on the form before you sign it?

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    This is happening.

Although now that I think about it (I've never taken days myself so had to look up what we had been told) if it's just forty mins it shouldn't be a full day, should 'only' be a half day.

When you think about it. If you are only missing forty mins but aren't been paid for a half day.... Are you insured to be in the classroom for the remainder of that half day in question? And if I only take forty mins of my half day but the etb still dock me a half day, who is getting my money???? These crowd are cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

ethical wrote: »
    the geriatric to sit on an interview panel with full gold plated pension.

Yeah, no need for this stuff. Pitting workers against each other is how we got into this mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Although now that I think about it (I've never taken days myself so had to look up what we had been told) if it's just forty mins it shouldn't be a full day, should 'only' be a half day.

When you think about it. If you are only missing forty mins but aren't been paid for a half day.... Are you insured to be in the classroom for the remainder of that half day in question? And if I only take forty mins of my half day but the etb still dock me a half day, who is getting my money???? These crowd are cowboys

I thought half days were done away with

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm in a voluntary school and it's similar. We've never had to fill out such a form at the end of the month, but someone who needed a few classes off for an appointment was told no such thing as a few classes any more so she said she might as well take the full day. So she went off for coffee when she would happily have taught her classes, but couldn't!

I thought half days were done away with

Checked this today and we are definitely being told half days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

ethical wrote: »
    Etb school,teacher takes one class period out,tells the Principal,Principal OKs it,another colleague covers the class,all sounded fine! End of month the secretary comes around with the sheet,you know the one where you sign your name along side any time you spent away from school,(school business,match,sick leave etc) and lo and behold the teacher has to sign alongside her name, the whole day was considered as an away day when infact it was 40 minutes,one class which her colleague kindly covered!It was at no cost to the school/etb.
    I consider this outrageous.......and fcuk the Principal also for actually giving the teacher permission but then stinging her later!
    Is it any wonder the teaching profession is crap at present........and no word at all about "paying" the geriatric to sit on an interview panel with full gold plated pension.
    (Fair justice is short in Ireland. The teacher in question above is not myself.I'm glad to say other than a few matches I've not been away from school but for one day in the past few years and that was for a certified medical appointment that had to happen during school time)

Principal should have warned the teacher that this happens. However, I don't agree that's it's "no cost to the school" because the students missed out on their regular teacher and as such, the regular learning. A sub/different teacher is never quite the same!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If you are out for a class or two take the full day. Kids won't miss ya, school wont miss ya, but it'll do you the wonder of good.

Are ETB Teachers not paid by the hour as self employed people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No.... they are not.
    Or .
    Yes... they are not

Not yet, but I'd say it's coming. That and us having to pay for our own insurance. And exchanging a CID for a pound of our flesh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

judeboy101 wrote: »
    If you are out for a class or two take the full day. Kids won't miss ya, school wont miss ya, but it'll do you the wonder of good.
    This.
    You will get no thanks from students, parents, or staff, as a general rule, so take the day and relax. Doubly so, if you're leaving work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Some interesting comments! I'm not surprised that some teachers take the whole day,seeing that you are being screwed for it anyways!
    Do Principals "suffer" the same,do they claim to be in school when they are "at a meeting",there are so many fcukin meetings going on its unbelieavable.
    Are H.O. staff (in the case of ETBs)"signing out " for" appointments!...or are they "taking time in lieu" by leaving for lunch early and then taking the afternoon off to attend a meeting!
    The sh1t the ordinary classroom teacher has to put up with is unforgiveable when it comes to a level playing field .........and its not going to improve anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Jesus, people need to get a grip. Hand that form back to the ****head who gave it to you and explain the situation.

And as for the “I heard in an ETB school” vomit post? Words fail.

On of the many many reasons I’d never ever go near a job in an ETB school.

What are the other, actual real, reasons that exist that result in you not working in an ETB school?

doc_17 wrote: »
    What are the other, actual real, reasons that exist that result in you not working in an ETB school?

The bureaucracy when it comes to filling in application forms for jobs - a simple CV and cover letter with TC number won’t do.

The lack of transparency I experienced when I was trying to get a job over a decade ago

Couple of other reasons but don’t want to go slinging mud online.

Very very happy working in the voluntary sector the last 10 years

• Advertisement

The bureaucracy when it comes to filling in application forms for jobs - a simple CV and cover letter with TC number won’t do.

The lack of transparency I experienced when I was trying to get a job over a decade ago

Couple of other reasons but don’t want to go slinging mud online.

Very very happy working in the voluntary sector the last 10 years

Application forms are a breeze to fill in and lack of transparency is also a problem at voluntary secondary level based one experience. Sons and daughters of existing teachers getting jobs fairly handy.

ETBs are tougher probably tougher to work in, I thought that’s what you were gonna say.

Application forms are a breeze to fill in and lack of transparency is also a problem at voluntary secondary level based one experience. Sons and daughters of existing teachers getting jobs fairly handy.

ETBs are tougher probably tougher to work in, I thought that’s what you were gonna say.

I can’t say that as I’ve never worked in one.
    Was completely and utterly turned off the idea by how I was treated.

Do you work in an ETB school? What do you mean by tougher? Genuinely curious. I work for an ETB and I agree. I wonder if for the same reasons.

Do you work in an ETB school? What do you mean by tougher? Genuinely curious. I work for an ETB and I agree. I wonder if for the same reasons.

I do. But my school is in a rural location and we are the only school there so it’s not the same as being in an ETB (or tec) school in a town. Those can be tougher to work in discipline wise as middle and professional classes get the spots in the voluntary secondary school and it means the lower socioeconomic groups send their children to the local ETB school. And SOME of those voluntary schools have a very selective enrolment policy. They used to encourage students with SEN and discipline issues to go the tec schools.

Maybe that’s changing but certainly not in the ETB school that in the large towns near where I live.

Advertisement