Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine travel insurance. Europe or rest of world?

Options
  • 26-03-2019 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I'm getting a quote with Mr. Lemon for travel insurance to Kiev.

One of the questions is location. The options are Europe or rest of world.

My head tells me that Ukraine is geographically in Europe but my gut is telling me that the insurance company will insist "Europe" is only the EU/EEA and thus try to weasel out of paying if we selected Europe and something happened.

The difference in price between Europe and rest of the world is double!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would check with the company. I would imagine it will be in the T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Many travel insurance policies define Europe as west of the Urals and include countries in North Africa (unless stated otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

But we don't know what definition the OP's insurance is applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Check the wording of course, but any policy I've every had has defined it as West of Urals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flo__wer

that might depend on the insurance company. there's such a thing as Shengen travel insurance and since Ukraine is not a Shengen country, this type of insurance won't be covered there. it's way better to clear everything with the person responsible for these matters, than guessing which option to choose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

flo__wer wrote: »
    that might depend on the insurance company. there's such a thing as Shengen travel insurance and since Ukraine is not a Shengen country, this type of insurance won't be covered there. it's way better to clear everything with the person responsible for these matters, than guessing which option to choose

Neither is Ireland or the uk... I haven’t heard if Schengen travel insurance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 hugedinosaur

In the case of VHI MultiTrip anyway, Ukraine is included in Europe.

MultiTrip Travel Insurance
    Rules - Terms and Conditions
    Date of Issue: 29th March 2019

Geographical Limits:
    The countries of the Zone for which You have paid the appropriate premium, except those countries or parts of countries where the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has advised against travel, as specified on the Policy Certificate excluding journeys solely within the Republic of Ireland and/or Northern Ireland which are for less than 2 nights and where paid accommodation has not been pre-booked.

You will be covered when travelling by recognised public transport between countries but not if You are being paid to crew a private motor or sailing vessel or are travelling by private plane.

Zone 1: (Europe only)
    All the countries of Europe: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Balearics, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Corsica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark (including Faeroe Islands), Estonia, Finland, France, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Greece (including Greek Isles), Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy (including Aeolian Islands, Sardinia and Sicily), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway (including Jan Mayen and Svalbard Islands), Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira Islands), Romania, Russia (European), San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia/Montenegro (including Kosovo) Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the Vatican State.

Zone 2: (Worldwide excluding USA,Canada and Caribbean)
    All countries worldwide, excluding the United States of America, Canada, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Dutch Antilles (including Curacao and St.Maarten), Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Puerto Rico, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, Virgin Islands.

Zone 3: (All countries worldwide)
    All countries worldwide including those in Zones 1 & 2

Advertisement