Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to ECDL?

Options
  • 23-03-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if there alternatives to ECDL. I teach the ECDL course, coding digital storytelling but would like students to have a qualification at the end of TY specifically. I'm aware of Microsoft course but that is probably as expensive. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm sure you already know this but you can do a short 4 module ECDL Essentials and get certified.

MOUS would be an alternative but it used to be expensive to register. We haven't been an accredited centre for a good few years but I have a feeling I'll be looking at it ourselves again soon.

(Just looked and what used to be called MOUS seems to have been abbreviated to MOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I am in third level but we have a license for the MOS curriculum and ebooks and several hundred online exams.

Might be worth your while in a large school if you could get the students to pay 10 - 20 euro per exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Our students paying really wouldn't be an option, it just wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm looking for suggestions for what to do with my TYs after mid-term. I have spent some time developing websites ranging from HTML, CSS to JavaScript. Have spent a term doing Scratch and did some digital storytelling. Any ideas? I was thinking of SQL and databases but it is not that exciting. Thanks again in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Instead of starting a new thread, I'm looking for suggestions for what to do with my TYs after mid-term. I have spent some time developing websites ranging from HTML, CSS to JavaScript. Have spent a term doing Scratch and did some digital storytelling. Any ideas? I was thinking of SQL and databases but it is not that exciting. Thanks again in advance.

The key to making this stuff interesting is to actually make something.

Could the group do a website, incorporating all of the above, detailing the history of the locality? Or a tourist guide (with geo-tagged photos - get them out of the classroom)?

Any hardware available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

For both issues you might get a lot of suggestions on the CESI forum.

Opinions are divided on MOS , it's good skill to have but the course is mind numbingly boring.

Maybe get them to sign up to a free Udemy course!

Do you have any budget? Good few STEM projects here with a micro:bit.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/education-workshop/activity-library.aspx&ved=2ahUKEwiT2eD8lNXhAhWDURUIHVZnAzMQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw0c0kMXsUPzIH-CPO8LY9Yc

Probably cost 200 odd for all the materials... I ended up paying for it myself and getting the materials on Amazon. If you sign up to Amazon Prime (first month is free then you cancel) you'd get free delivery/discounts and receive the stuff early next week!

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The key to making this stuff interesting is to actually make something.

Could the group do a website, incorporating all of the above, detailing the history of the locality? Or a tourist guide (with geo-tagged photos - get them out of the classroom)?

Any hardware available?

Yes this is probably what I will do ... might use weebly instead of hard coding to show speed/professionalism of a WYSIWG. Was looking at another school and the TYs did exactly that.

Yes I also agree that actually making something makes it interesting- even scratch projects may not look the most exciting but students very happy with finished product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's weebly like? Is it like wix?

What's weebly like? Is it like wix?

Yeah similar I'd say. It's impressive but sometimes I find it slow to react but that could be broadband connection :(

Advertisement