Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodpeckers in Wexford.

Options
  • 22-03-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭

Never knew these were in Ireland but was woken by one this morning.

For about 20 minutes it made the exact same noise as the 4th sound file down on the following link.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=Great+spotted+Woodpecker

The noise was really rapid banging off the tree for approx 1 second followed by approx 10 second silence for approx 20 minutes stopping only about 3 times during the 20 minutes.

There are approx 8-10 huge trees at the front of our house and I managed to stand under the tree that the bird was banging on but unfortunately could not see the bird. Once I was standing under the tree the bird stopped banging but I then had to leave for work.

Do they nest in trees that they bang on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

AFAIK the drumming noise is something they do in spring to signal to, or attract, a mate.
    However they are very good at detecting rotten wood, so if I had "a huge tree at the front of my house" and woodpeckers were taking an interest in it, I might be getting concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

They started breeding in Ireland about 10 years ago and they are spreading rapidly. They are now becoming common, but they are not the easiest to spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Off the top of my head I think they're confirmed breeding in 8 counties, possibly breeding in another 2, and have been recorded in a few more counties outside the breeding season on top of that! A very welcome arrival/return!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I heard one near Castlebridge, Co Wexford last year. NPWS officer confirmed they are present in the county.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Where would they have come from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wales, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Off the top of my head I think they're confirmed breeding in 8 counties, possibly breeding in another 2, and have been recorded in a few more counties outside the breeding season on top of that! A very welcome arrival/return!

why? were they here before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »

Archaeological evidence shows them being here since the bronze age. Their disappearance seems to coincide with the widespread deforestation during the 17th and 18th centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

One theory is we got magpies around the same time as we lost woodpeckers, and since both are pied the Irish word for both is the same...
    Dunno if there's any truth In it..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    One theory is we got magpies around the same time as we lost woodpeckers, and since both are pied the Irish word for both is the same...
    Dunno if there's any truth In it..

Not at all. There's at least 500 years between the two events.

The Irish name is also the same for a Treecreeper. Basically Snagfor hiccup and breac for speckled or pied.
    Anything creeping and speckled or pied had the same name. And only in parts of the county. A magpie is Préachán breac elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I was up in Emo Gardens in Laois on Saturday. photographing the squirrels. There was certainly two and maybe a third drumming away.
    It is the first year I have ever heard them up there.
    One was very close to me but damned if I could see him.

New Home wrote: »
    Where would they have come from?
    wales, IIRC.

they flew across the irish sea? or were they reintroduced?

they flew across the irish sea? or were they reintroduced?

They flew over themselves.

^^^^^^^^^^

certain of that? seems like a long journey for a woodpecker...and why didn't they do it years ago?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A bald eagle made it all the way from the States, years ago - there was something on one of the threads a few months ago. If they have strong winds in their favour it would be much easier than we imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

^^^^^^^^^^

certain of that? seems like a long journey for a woodpecker...and why didn't they do it years ago?

They absolutely did make it over themselves. I remember being on Great Saltee Island on 10th May 2008 (which is a well know bird migration location), when one was seen flying around on the island. Photo: http://irishbirds.ie/search_results.php?species_anybird=Woodpecker%2C+Great+Spotted

Also more were seen on other offshore migration spots such as Cape Clear Island, Co Cork on 19th April 2008. More and more were reported in the following years until they eventually started to breed in Co Wicklow, with no help from anyone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

^^^^^^^^^^

Their numbers were lower in the UK a few decades ago - they increased to a point where the UK had a burgeoning population, and after that its a numbers game in terms of having loads of birds and a few of them deciding to venture across the Irish Sea in search of new habitat because it was hard to find available nesting territories where they were.

Their numbers were lower in the UK a few decades ago - they increased to a point where the UK had a burgeoning population, and after that its a numbers game in terms of having loads of birds and a few of them deciding to venture across the Irish Sea in search of new habitat because it was hard to find available nesting territories where they were.

Ahhh I didn't know that, and it is an interesting piece of the puzzle. I thought they just happened to cross and it started from there. I was not aware they were not widespread in the UK until a few decades aso.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Been heard a few more times in the last week. The wife has heard them early morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Heard several of them in Druids Glen golf club today. Looked up and saw a small bird, not sure if it was it or not but it was my first time hearing one.

• Advertisement

The black and red ones are about the size of a blackbird, the green ones are about the size of a collared dove. Their call is very distinctive, too, but it couldn't be called pretty.

We Don get green ones here though...the gsw has an ondulating flight which is very distinctive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Heard one again this morning, didn’t this was the right time of year but 100% heard it rattle a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Juvenile in garden in Wicklow Sept 2005 perhaps locally bred?

2005 rare bird report

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Saw one in Courtown Golf club about a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

gzoladz wrote: »
    Ahhh I didn't know that, and it is an interesting piece of the puzzle. I thought they just happened to cross and it started from there. I was not aware they were not widespread in the UK until a few decades aso.

We went from a country with 80% forest cover to 1% so their habitat was destroyed. We are back up to 11% now so there is obviously enough suitable habitat to sustain a population now.

https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/forestry/advice/general-topics/history-of-forestry-in-ireland/

Advertisement