Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ben Pollard Spokesmanwheels and Prime wheels

Options
  • 16-03-2019 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a wheelset from spokesmanwheels dot co dot uk - Mark Pollard is the wheel builder. I have seen a few comments on UK sites that say they are good quality but was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of his products. Looking at 50/50 carbon tubular ot 60/88 carbon tubular sets but would like to hear peoples opinions of his products before deciding. Any advice? On a budget so looking at these or Prime BlackEdition 50 or 60 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles. Of anyone has any thoughts on those, I'd like to hear also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

cycling556 wrote: »
    Hi, I am interested in purchasing a wheelset from spokesmanwheels dot co dot uk - Mark Pollard is the wheel builder. I have seen a few comments on UK sites that say they are good quality but was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of his products. Looking at 50/50 carbon tubular ot 60/88 carbon tubular sets but would like to hear peoples opinions of his products before deciding. Any advice? On a budget so looking at these or Prime BlackEdition 50 or 60 from Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles. Of anyone has any thoughts on those, I'd like to hear also?

Don't get tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I have a never used not even glued zipp 404 tub front wheel at home 21 mm wide rim. which I could sell you within your budget. Pm if you are interested.

Still the preferred wheel of powermeter guro Dr Coogan ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycling556

tunney wrote: »
    Don't get tubs

Why? What's your (bad) experience with them? Wheel and tyres combo are lighter than clincher aren't they?

peter kern wrote: »
    I have a never used not even glued zipp 404 tub front wheel at home 21 mm wide rim. which I could sell you within your budget. Pm if you are interested.

Still the preferred wheel of powermeter guro Dr Coogan ;-)

Thanks but looking for a wheelset. Appreciate the offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Why? What's your (bad) experience with them? Wheel and tyres combo are lighter than clincher aren't they?

In my limited experience (having run both tubs and clinchers), it depends on what type of events you will be doing and what your goals are. The speed advantage of tubs has been somewhat eroded over the years as far as I recall but the major disadvantage of tubs is the amount of faffing about needed to ensure they last. On top of the gluing, there is also the gunk which can be messy and has blocked a few valves on me in the past. Then the issue of what to do in a long distance triathlon in terms of spares. I sold all of my tubs and now run clinchers. I am hearing good things about tubeless also so might be worth looking into those.

Just my 2c.

Edit: Just saw your post on the cycling forum - what event are you doing and why are you so hung up on weight?

EC1000 wrote: »
    In my limited experience (having run both tubs and clinchers), it depends on what type of events you will be doing and what your goals are. The speed advantage of tubs has been somewhat eroded over the years as far as I recall but the major disadvantage of tubs is the amount of faffing about needed to ensure they last. On top of the gluing, there is also the gunk which can be messy and has blocked a few valves on me in the past. Then the issue of what to do in a long distance triathlon in terms of spares. I sold all of my tubs and now run clinchers. I am hearing good things about tubeless also so might be worth looking into those.

Just my 2c.

Edit: Just saw your post on the cycling forum - what event are you doing and why are you so hung up on weight?

Thanks for you input...I hadn't ruled out tubeless as an option. Events would be mainly sprint and Olympic Triathlon. My wheels weigh just under 1800g so looking for something lighter as courses can vary a bit. Looking for advice more than anything else I suppose as not very knowledgeable on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Thanks for you input...I hadn't ruled out tubeless as an option. Events would be mainly sprint and Olympic Triathlon. My wheels weigh just under 1800g so looking for something lighter as courses can vary a bit. Looking for advice more than anything else I suppose as not very knowledgeable on the topic.

If you puncture with a tub, you are probably walking home unless you can fit a new tub on the side of the road... that to me is the major disadvantage. (Granted your race is over anyway but at least you'll get back to base).

Lots of other things to consider also - are you at race weight yourself? Could you lose the 100g from there more easily?

EC1000 wrote: »
    If you puncture with a tub, you are probably walking home unless you can fit a new tub on the side of the road... that to me is the major disadvantage. (Granted your race is over anyway but at least you'll get back to base).

Lots of other things to consider also - are you at race weight yourself? Could you lose the 100g from there more easily?

I'm at 80kg so unsure about race weight. Thanks for the replies, need to go and have a think about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Advertisement
Advertisement