Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatyard 2019

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Wonder why they got rid of the indoor stage. I prefer them at festivals.

Apparently it's being turned into offices

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

Looking forward to seeing Groove Armada, Todd Terje, David Kitt, New Jackson.
    Is there anything else people would consider a must see ? Iv no interest in chvrches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

spindex wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing Groove Armada, Todd Terje, David Kitt, New Jackson.
    Is there anything else people would consider a must see ? Iv no interest in chvrches.

Dj Yoda is a turntablist that plays a whole range of music

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Balls, the weather looks brutal for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Nugget89

Graham1978 wrote: »
    Balls, the weather looks brutal for today.

Does it? Met.ie shows no rain in Dublin until late tonight.

• Advertisement

Nugget89 wrote: »
    Does it? Met.ie shows no rain in Dublin until late tonight.

Not a drop of rain all day. Really liked the new set up. Big improvement from 2 years ago. Shame it's likely to be the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spindex

Had a great day there yesterday, the only fault I could pick out was that they could have done with more urinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

spindex wrote: »
    Had a great day there yesterday, the only fault I could pick out was that they could have done with more urinals.

I saw a guy was taking a piss at the urinal while being fed coke into his nostrils by his mate who was waiting to use the loo after him.

I had a great night. The Bodytonic Nautical Boogie IPA is quite tasty.

Was back down this evening but only for the last couple of acts. Jungle were great and really won the crowd over despite the rain. Chvrches were pretty good but it seemed like half the crowd left after Jungle. It was a very subdued atmosphere by comparison. Dunno if it was busier earlier in the day when the weather was better.

Was back down this evening but only for the last couple of acts. Jungle were great and really won the crowd over despite the rain. Chvrches were pretty good but it seemed like half the crowd left after Jungle. It was a very subdued atmosphere by comparison. Dunno if it was busier earlier in the day when the weather was better.

Jungle should have headlined. ChVrches not so great. Good but not suited to a feel good booking. Maybe the Streets perhaps.

• Advertisement

That was my first time heading along, and it's a really nice little set up.

The food and drink options are absolutely top notch, so I tried a bit of everything. The boat party was a laugh, and we actually travelled down the coast further than I would have expected which was really nice with the sun out.

There was a good crowd at it. Not too packed so there were never major queues, and it's nice to see so many kids out, though I'd say a few of them will be scarred after Marc Rebillet.

I don't agree with a couple of the posters above, I though Chvrches were the stand out performers of the weekend. The crazy heavy rain during Jungle scattered most of the crowd over to Wigwam during the break before Chvrches, and I think a lot people just didn't come back to the main stage, which was a shame. Jungle, Groove Armada, Grandmaster Flash were all good, and a special mention for the ridiculous 10 minutes of Acid Granny I caught. Just bizarre.

The only issue I see with the whole set up is the noise bleed. It's such a small area to work in that any lulls during a set means you can clearly hear the other stage.

I'm not sure I'd be back unless they come back with a very strong lineup, but it's a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Acid granny were class until they cut their mics!

"Special thanks to grand master flash for warming up for us...

...put. your. hands. in. the air..." :pac:

They're looking for support for retaining the venue for next year by either clicking on going on the FB page or emailing dlr coco:

Hey folks,

Big ups to everyone who came and nautical boogied with us at the weekend - we love yiz all lots and we hope you enjoyed the weekend. The atmosphere within the harbour over the weekend was something else, each year the festival gets bigger & better but the energy from you guys is consistently amazing. So we just wanted to say thanks for all your support over the last week & few years 💚💚💚

Beatyard is at its core a big...small party. There's no camping, but all the local accommodation spots get booked up. No-one really drives to it, its 90% public or pooled transport. We don't disturb nature in running it, we use an industrial space that would otherwise would be vacant, and re-use/re-purpose it for something positive. Its not magical or mysterious, it probably won't change your life, but its a decent party, by the sea, in the summer, with a loyal and regular crowd for 5 years now.

So with all that in mind - we have a small favour to ask! Could you .....

- click attending to the Beatyard 2020 event

or...

- email DLR council offices with a note of support [ info@dlrcoco.ie ]

We can then show the powers that be in the council that this event is important and people care - we've a meeting in a few weeks to get more information on next year but as it currently stands - we're technically homeless. We really want to see more events, and diversity on the pier, and harbour - but surely there's room for everyone, particularly those who were there at the start.

Anyways to end on a good note - we've included some photos below, and will add alot more to the website & social by the end of the week. Beatyard 2019 was amazing from start to finish. Some highlights for us were Groove Armada killing the main stage on Saturday night, Miss Kate at the Wigwam tent on Sunday and Jaru Korean BBQ in the Eatyard. Kidsyard was the best it's ever been and thinking of everyone Singing for their Dinner to New Order brings a tear to our little BT eyes.

hopefully we'll see you again next year - we'll have news in September. Keep it naughty and nautical :)

Beatyard Crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Marc Ribellet stole the show for me, what an absolute laugh and the guy has a decent set of lungs on his as well.

Chvrches were great, along with Jungle too but thought Jungle's sound could have been kicked up a notch, was a bit low but that might have been the rain.

Signed up to their event.

Really hope the venue doesn't change as it was so painless to get to/from and then a couple of cheap pints in wetherspoons before hand.

Magic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

We don't disturb nature in running it, we use an industrial space that would otherwise would be vacant, and re-use/re-purpose it for something positive. Its not magical or mysterious, it probably won't change your life, but its a decent party, by the sea, in the summer, with a loyal and regular crowd for 5 years now.

This is one of the many reasons I love the bodytonic guys!

Got this reply from the council.

Many thanks for your email. Please see below reply from our Harbour Events Section.

"Every year in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown there is a wide variety of high quality cultural, sporting and musical events co-funded or licenced by the County Council.

The Council is currently in negotiations with a third party to bring a high profile event to Dún Laoghaire that will take place between May and August 2020.

It is expected that these negotiations will be completed by the end of August.

It is likely that it would not be feasible to run events of the size of Beatyard and the proposed event side by side because of its scale.

The Council will not be making any further comment until negotiations are complete

Does anyone have any idea what that might be?

Just spotted this: http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/southside/articles/2019/08/08/4177770-concern-for-future-of-popular-music-festiva/
    A pop up Shakespeare Theatre.

Just don't get it,

there's the Pavilion theatre or any other amount of theatre/indoor venues to facilitate this.

People will brace the rain/wind in ponchos and wellies for music and laughs.

Will they for Shakespeare?

One doth protest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just don't get it,

there's the Pavilion theatre or any other amount of theatre/indoor venues to facilitate this.

People will brace the rain/wind in ponchos and wellies for music and laughs.

Will they for Shakespeare?

One doth protest.

Especially since MCD were able to put on another music weekend in the June bank holiday, I dont see why all three cant be acclmmodated in the May-August period. Three things, three bank holidays

• Advertisement
Advertisement