Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most beautiful song?

Options
  • 27-09-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you think is the most beautiful song you've ever heard, or what do you think constitutes a beautiful song? I mean like a song that almost makes you cry.
    I like lots of different types of music and alot of it can fall under the experimental category but at the end of the day how often is experimental music beautiful? It definately hits the beauty nail on the head sometimes but mostly that isn't the purpose of experimental music.
    I would class alot of the ambient music I listen as beautiful. By beautiful I mean that it puts me in a certain place that's not in reality when I listen to it. It's like a daydream invoked by music.
    I once read a quote from Richard D James where he said that the best music is music that gives you false memories, basically it makes you reminiscent of events that haven't happened but that you seem to have an emotional memory for. And I completely relate to that and it encapsulates the feeling I get from the songs I find beautiful.
    So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has this same connection or relationship with music? Or does it connect with you in a different way?
    By the way songs which have inspired this philosphical rant would be something like this

and actually this song which isn't experimental but really is beautiful, old Nina Simone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah I know what you mean. That kind of feeling you get from listening to ambient music is probably one of the main reasons I like electronic music so much. You don't really get the same thing from other genres.

Anything with some nice chords usually does it for me. VLetrmx21 is probably one of my favourites from Autechre alright. Its epic, its sad, its very powerful. Its also probably the least experimental of their tracks though. I think its often the case where the beauty is in the simplicity. Thats a good example of it.

Vargtimme by Helios is on a similar vein I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah its amazing the emotions that can be stirred from the right music. I find it can even happen with music that you wouldn't expect such as techno. The most likely though do tend to be ambient or classical.

For me tracks that have a good level of change in the structure and start on more of a serious note but develop in a subtle way to something that literally takes your breath away and grabs you by the balls as the tune progresses... a really good example of this is 'Detour' by RAC, I fkcin love the progression of this track to where it climaxes with playful bass lines and emotional synths swirling around behind a complex beat structure, blows me away every time... I wish I could describe it better but listening to it should explain quite clearly!

Another example also is 'The Ballad of Nicky McGuire' by the Sabres of Paradise, really great tune that never fails to strike an emotional chord with me.

Anima wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean. That kind of feeling you get from listening to ambient music is probably one of the main reasons I like electronic music so much. You don't really get the same thing from other genres.

Anything with some nice chords usually does it for me. VLetrmx21 is probably one of my favourites from Autechre alright. Its epic, its sad, its very powerful. Its also probably the least experimental of their tracks though. I think its often the case where the beauty is in the simplicity. Thats a good example of it.

Vargtimme by Helios is on a similar vein I think.

Yeah that Helios track is really nice, Helios tends to be Sunday evening music in my house... my wife is generally not keen on my music taste but I get away with the like of Helios etc over dinner on a Sunday :pac:

Heh yeah I know what you mean. It's a safe bet that most people would like Helios I think :)

Just thought of another track by Colleen. "Everything Lay Still", very moving and melancholic. That whole album is like that though. Only found it a couple of months ago and its sublime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'll come from the side here and say "Are You alright? by Lucinda Williams if a really beautiful song. Dodgey lyrics are a pet hate of mine and I believe Ms. Williams wastes not a word. Cheezy Nashville Style Studio video

Produced by Hal Wilner who has produced records for Laurie Anderson, Bill Frisell, William Burroghs and Lou Reed.

Which brings me along to Lou Reed and "Sad Song" from the album Berlin, the segue from the Kids to that song on thwe album is one of the most sublime recorded moments IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc54vcmcZKA

And must not forget CONEY ISLAND BABY by same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

@Anima, really enjoyed that Helio song. That's exactly the kind of song I'm talking about. Alot of the time it does seem to be the simple songs that are the most beautiful. I think it's actually kind of brave for a producer to make a song and keep it simple, I'm sure they can often be battling a impulse to get more complex or get carried away (I'm sure Autechre must have been holding back with all their might with the above song).
    Colleen is another great example, her music tends to whisk you away to some dream world for the entirety of the album.

@Felixdhc, yeah that Sabres of Paradise song I know well. It is an exceptional song. I know what you mean too about other more hard hitting music still being able to trigger that same feeling
    An example of that kind of song for me would be Mu-Ziq- PHI*1700[u/v] from Tango'N'Vectif. On the original 1 CD release the song was shorter but I lost that and had to go out and buy the 2CD re-release on which this song was a couple of minutes longer and had the most beautiful meandering melody towards the end, contrasted with quite a harsh beat. I think this is the extended version:

studiorat wrote: »
    I'll come from the side here and say "Are You alright? by Lucinda Williams if a really beautiful song. Dodgey lyrics are a pet hate of mine and I believe Ms. Williams wastes not a word. Cheezy Nashville Style Studio video

Produced by Hal Wilner who has produced records for Laurie Anderson, Bill Frisell, William Burroghs and Lou Reed.

Which brings me along to Lou Reed and "Sad Song" from the album Berlin, the segue from the Kids to that song on thwe album is one of the most sublime recorded moments IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc54vcmcZKA

And must not forget CONEY ISLAND BABY by same...
    Thanks, I hadn't heard that Lou Reed song before, great song. Think I might get that Berlin album tomorrow in town. I've been meaning to explore his solo stuff. Have always loved the Velvet Underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Cant listen to this album without thinking about the film. Especially this track..full of emotion.

jiltloop wrote: »
    @Felixdhc, yeah that Sabres of Paradise song I know well. It is an exceptional song. I know what you mean too about other more hard hitting music still being able to trigger that same feeling
    An example of that kind of song for me would be Mu-Ziq- PHI*1700[u/v] from Tango'N'Vectif. On the original 1 CD release the song was shorter but I lost that and had to go out and buy the 2CD re-release on which this song was a couple of minutes longer and had the most beautiful meandering melody towards the end, contrasted with quite a harsh beat. I think this is the extended version:

Yeah I love PHI*1700, stunning track.
    Cant listen to this album without thinking about the film. Especially this track..full of emotion.

Actually 'An Ending (Ascent)' has brought me to tears! Grown man, and not afraid to admit :pac: Even now listening to it again as I type it hits hard in the chest.

• Advertisement

"An Ending" is fantastic :)

Another song I think fits the bill is "Inertia" by Jega. Couldn't find a decent youtube link but I'd recommend it. Its more up tempo than other stuff posted here but it works.

"From a solid to a liquid" by Biosphere as well. Its perfect. You have to be in that quiet, half asleep state to fully appreciate it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niallof

Its not experimental, but the most beautiful song in my opinion is Reckoner by radiohead. Something about it puts me in the most amazing state of mind, it makes me feel as if i'm remembering the birth of our universe and feeling its inevitable destruction at once. but there are no endings or beginings, just levels of life on all ends of the scale. it gives me this feeling of peace in pointlessness, a sort of weird acceptance that we do not serve some higher purpose, life just is - and isn't it beautiful? It's almost as if this song is about infinity or something. Doin a bad job of explaining it but anyway.. also, i was astonished to find that this very specific, unique and powerfull listening experience wasn't just my own, check out this prize-winning video to see what i mean..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIn_8EZWH7k

let me know if you understand what i'm on about

Yeah Brian Eno has a more than few beautiful songs to his credit. Especially on the Apollo album.
    Here's another beautiful song that always strikes a chord with me, it's featured at the end of the film "Heat" (great film too).

Another stunning Moby song, shame he doesn't make music like this anymore.

Sorry I'm on a mission here, one more song today won't post up anymore:pac:
    This is a song from the Black Dog album Radio Scarecrow. Incredible song and a really impressive album (probably my favourite album of the last couple of years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

im just going to add a couple which are very personal to me. Broken Social Scene are seen more as an indie rock band these days, but some of their early post-rock/ambient stuff is outstanding.

Guilty Cubicles helped me a lot when a family member died a few years ago... i used to play it on repeat for ages it had a calming and reflective influence on me at the time. still love it to this day.

the vid wont embed for me so heres the link if you're interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jwQQ1BTZ0k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Great thread! Love that first Broken Social Scene album too.
    Here are 2 from Future Sound of London. Gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Can't seem to get vids to embed for some reason... but here's another favourite, this time from Rachel's

[url][/url]

OK... last one, this time from Fennesz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi3oRnf2BQM

Another stunning Moby song, shame he doesn't make music like this anymore.

100% agree on both of those from Moby, spot on in terms of hitting the emotional chord - I especially love God Moving..., unreal track. Another from him that always did it for me was 'Everloving' from Play - at 1.58 it becomes so full of emotion and continues on to climax then at 2.21 - sends shivers through me.

Sorry I'm on a mission here, one more song today won't post up anymore:pac:
    This is a song from the Black Dog album Radio Scarecrow. Incredible song and a really impressive album (probably my favourite album of the last couple of years).

Again, 100% agree - Radio Scarecrow is an absolute stunner from start to finish... up there with the best electronic albums for years.

• Advertisement

Think I mentioned this somewhere on the forum but worthy of a place in this thread - 'Pale Ravine' by Deaf Centre - great track from an amazing album.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Can't seem to get vids to embed for some reason... but here's another favourite, this time from Rachel's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pk13Hs1IPY&feature=related

To embed, do this...

Type [ youtube ] before the last few letters/numbers on the address of the track on youtube, after the '=' (having copied & pasted those letters/numbers to here)

Then type [ /youtube ] after - don't put gaps in though in the above or this example - I only did so as not to create the code.

May not explain that well :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Some fantastic recommendations there guys, thank ye so much. Looking forward to getting enough time to listen to everything properly.

Actually, to explain the code for youtube a little better, the track I'm mentioning below would look like this but without spaces...

[ youtube ] 7kOAXZ2nuSs [ / youtube ]

A wonderful piece from the Global Communication remix of the Chapterhouse album, 'Blood Music'.

Something a little different from my usual electronics - I love this track and perfect for here also, taken from the amazing album by Talk Talk - 'Spirit of Eden'

I actually heard of Deaf Center from you Felix. I think you posted about Pale Ravine in the album of the month thread and thats where I started listening to them. Cheers for that :pac: Love that album and everything else by them.

Never heard of Rachel's song, its nice. It reminded me of this...

I think this song is amazing as well. Just really simple and nice.

Again, 100% agree - Radio Scarecrow is an absolute stunner from start to finish... up there with the best electronic albums for years.
    I found a new album of theirs yesterday in town, haven't given it a proper listen yet (and can't quite remember the name) but I have to say it didn't sound very impressive on first listen. I was really hoping it would be on a par with Radio Scarecrow. Hopefully it will reveal itself with further listening.

I found a new album of theirs yesterday in town, haven't given it a proper listen yet (and can't quite remember the name) but I have to say it didn't sound very impressive on first listen. I was really hoping it would be on a par with Radio Scarecrow. Hopefully it will reveal itself with further listening.

Yeah, 'Further Vexations' - I've had that a couple of months now and only listened maybe three times... nothing like Radio Scarecrow in terms of the quality but a good enough album, I probably need to give it a few more listens but it absolutely did not make the impact Radio Scarecrow did.

Anima wrote: »
    I actually heard of Deaf Center from you Felix. I think you posted about Pale Ravine in the album of the month thread and thats where I started listening to them. Cheers for that :pac: Love that album and everything else by them.

I think this song is amazing as well. Just really simple and nice.

Oh yeah, thats where it was - I did remember mentioning alright! I haven't actually bought anything else by them, must do.

Yeah great remix of Starlight... I assume you got the CD of all the remixes? I love the Convextion remix too, amazing...

http://www.discogs.com/Model-500-Starlight/release/1430193

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

This one wrecks me every time - Robert Wyatt's version of Shipbuilding:

Advertisement