Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer population control Pheonix park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

If the deer were neutered/contraceptives the herd would be weak within a few years from age/illness. Culling with a sniper is by far the best way to manage the numbers. About twenty years ago they rounded up all of the deer and corralled them in the Magazine Fort for health checks and culling. There was carnage. Some deer jumped the wall and were killed or badly injured while others injured themselves charging into nets. The real threat to the deer is the people who refuse to obey the signs and insist on feeding them. I have seen very young children feeding mature stags. One day a stag will suddenly raise its head, injuring or even killing the child in the process and the OPW will be inundated with calls to remove the deer altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They've already learned to expect to be fed by people approaching them. I feel they don't know how much these things can hurt people. I've seen them rip trees apart.

Whenever I'm up with my kid, we keep a fair distance away from them. If any start walking towards us, we walk away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Varta wrote: »
    If the deer were neutered/contraceptives the herd would be weak within a few years from age/illness. Culling with a sniper is by far the best way to manage the numbers. About twenty years ago they rounded up all of the deer and corralled them in the Magazine Fort for health checks and culling. There was carnage. Some deer jumped the wall and were killed or badly injured while others injured themselves charging into nets. The real threat to the deer is the people who refuse to obey the signs and insist on feeding them. I have seen very young children feeding mature stags. One day a stag will suddenly raise its head, injuring or even killing the child in the process and the OPW will be inundated with calls to remove the deer altogether.

Saw this over the weekend. Family with very young kids trying to hand feed them carrots even though there are numerous signs clearly indicating not to :confused:
    We were looking at deer and were close enough but not to the extent they were getting nervous of us and we could see the deer pretty well munching away on the grass. The family with little kids wanted to try hand feed them even though there was a stag with a serious set of antlers on him:confused: they got more and more nervous the closer they got, I'm sure they would run away but I wouldn't take my chances with a stag around

They've already learned to expect to be fed by people approaching them. I feel they don't know how much these things can hurt people. I've seen them rip trees apart.

Whenever I'm up with my kid, we keep a fair distance away from them. If any start walking towards us, we walk away from them.

The deer I saw over the weekend didn't seem happy about the people approaching them but the family kept trying even though they looked really nervous of them. Is that why all the chicken wire cages are around the trees?

Yeah I suppose people probably think they are timid, which they are, but at the same time I say they would be strong enough if felt cornered or threatened especially with fawn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

They can be timid, or at certain times of the year they can be more aggressive, I know of farmer who got charged by a large stag, he was trapped by a fence and managed to get the stags antlers to the ground, and had to sit holding the stag down till someone heard the roaring and rescued him with a tractor...

I can imagine some numpty getting a stag interested in food and then trying to put their kid on the stags back... For a laugh like, Shure aren't they reindeer....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    They can be timid, or at certain times of the year they can be more aggressive, I know of farmer who got charged by a large stag, he was trapped by a fence and managed to get the stags antlers to the ground, and had to sit holding the stag down till someone heard the roaring and rescued him with a tractor...

I can imagine some numpty getting a stag interested in food and then trying to put their kid on the stags back... For a laugh like, Shure aren't they reindeer....

Are the females aggressive when they have fawn? I saw a video before of a deer lifting up and kicking down on someone and wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of one :D

Yeah, I can actually imagine someone doing something like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why can’t the males be castrated?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Why can’t the males be castrated?

They probably can be... But for what?
    And you'd probably have to castrate almost all, and then its a dying herd...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Just close the park gates in winter, and release the wolves..(their enclosure in the zoo backs on to the park), could be tricky getting them back though..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Corralling non farm animals to administer en masse treatment is really difficult. They are not used to pens and being handled by people and deer are way more agile than normal farm animal.

Giving them birth control would limit natural selection and survival of fittest that a large herd requires to overcome diseases and other natural disasters.

Shooting and hunting are popular enough and the participants might as well be used to do the state and the herd a service.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    They probably can be... But for what?
    And you'd probably have to castrate almost all, and then its a dying herd...

To stop them breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

To stop them breeding

And that will only limit inbreeding not overpopulation with a herd full of castrated males...

Shooting simply mimics what happens in the wild where numbers are predated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Keep away from them. The ones in phoenix have enough food around them.

The amount of times during stag season I see people feeding deer with no awareness of the potential of a stag attacking staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering why deer are culled in the Pheonix Park as opposed to neutered?

I know they are beautiful animals but I’m not looking to start a debate on whether it is right or wrong.

I’m sure other options were researched and it was decided that this was the best option. They are in a urban area so this would have implacations for herd size as they don’t have as much space as they would have somewhere rural. I wonder would there be health implications for the herd with too many males living in such a restricted area for example?

Also because the space is shared with humans again I understand that the size needs to be controlled for safety.

Maybe deer don’t do well under anesthetisia compared to other animals? Or would it have really bad affects on the health of the male as they are a wild animal?

Thank you

When you say "neutered" what do you mean?

Do you think every male deer should be shot, with a tranquilizer, then castrated?

Is this really a less traumatic experience than a deer being culled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Chiparus wrote: »

Do you think every male deer should be shot, with a tranquilizer, then castrated?

One results in death and another in no bollix so I suppose no bollix is indeed worse:D

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    One results in death and another in no bollix so I suppose no bollix is indeed worse:D

Seriously though, it probably is. Take away the stag's masculinity and it would become a sorry looking animal with no purpose in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

how is this thread still open?
    Discussion of vermin/population control other than neutering of pet animals, regardless of species, is not permitted in this forum. More suitable forums might include Farming and Forestry/Smallholdings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Varta wrote: »
    Seriously though, it probably is. Take away the stag's masculinity and it would become a sorry looking animal with no purpose in life.

Do you think the stags would prefer to be all castrated or a few deer killed humanely ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ganmo wrote: »
    how is this thread still open?

I made the decision to leave the thread open. As the deer cull is for the benefit of the herd, I felt there was no harm in discussing it here. We are monitoring the thread and if we feel it has outlived its purpose we will revisit the decision.

Do you think the stags would prefer to be all castrated or a few deer killed humanely ?

what makes more of an impact on the number of the next generation?
    the number of fertile males or the number of females?

castrate 20 stags and leave 5 entire you'll have the same number of fawns

kill 5 does and leave 20 alive, you'll have 5 less fawns.

The only reason these deer are special is because they're in the park, if they were 5 miles north they'd be open to be shot by anyone with a licence from the NPWS.

• Advertisement

If you neuter a stag, it is a pet... Or a decoration...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

How many deer will be slaughtered as part of this operation?

I don't have the knowledge to answer whether they should or shouldn't be, that is why I asked the question in the first place....

rn wrote: »
    Corralling non farm animals to administer en masse treatment is really difficult. They are not used to pens and being handled by people and deer are way more agile than normal farm animal.

Giving them birth control would limit natural selection and survival of fittest that a large herd requires to overcome diseases and other natural disasters.

Shooting and hunting are popular enough and the participants might as well be used to do the state and the herd a service.

That seems quite plausible. It would be quite dangerous for the deer and the humans if they were administered treatment as they are wild animals. They would probably hurt themselves with the stress of being caught.

They must need to be kept wild as if they were so tame that they were approaching humans it would mean they would probably start wandering around the park which wouldn't be good particularly with stags and fawn

I do love deer and all animals btw. I am genuinely curious why they need to be culled.

How many deer will be slaughtered as part of this operation?

They try and maintain the population at a certain level so if lots of fawn's are born they'd cull more, at nearly a 1 to 1 ratio I'd assume.

That seems quite plausible. It would be quite dangerous for the deer and the humans if they were administered treatment as they are wild animals. They would probably hurt themselves with the stress of being caught.

They must need to be kept wild as if they were so tame that they were approaching humans it would mean they would probably start wandering around the park which wouldn't be good particularly with stags and fawn

I do love deer and all animals btw. I am genuinely curious why they need to be culled.

It's done for very good reasons. The numbers need to be limited to match the available space and sick/injured animals have to be removed. I have witnessed the deer being corralled (disaster) and I have watched the sniper cull (very humane).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    This thread has been moved to Nature and Birdwatching, as it seems a more appropriate spot for it.
    Please be aware that a new charter now applies, please have a read of it before you post, if you're not already familiar with it.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Keep away from them. The ones in phoenix have enough food around them.

The amount of times during stag season I see people feeding deer with no awareness of the potential of a stag attacking staggering.

I'm unsure if you are directing that at me, or supporting what I was saying. Because that's just rephrasing what I said.
    The deer I saw over the weekend didn't seem happy about the people approaching them but the family kept trying even though they looked really nervous of them. Is that why all the chicken wire cages are around the trees?

Yeah I suppose people probably think they are timid, which they are, but at the same time I say they would be strong enough if felt cornered or threatened especially with fawn

I was over on Tuesday and they were approached by and approaching people. They aren't unsettled in the slightest, once they expect to get something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I don't see any problem with the current policy. The herd is living in ideal conditions, and their welfare is monitored. The meat from culled animals is free range, organic and is game - as opposed to fatty factory farmed meat.
    That's a premium product, ethically produced.
    People calling for the deer to be castrated, then going off to buy their chicken nuggets, it seems a bit strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Culling results in a healthy herd. Neutering would result in a gradually aging and increasingly sickly one.

It’s not about keeping the numbers down. It’s about keeping sustainable numbers of the healthiest specimens.

Also. The hand-feeding them carrots thing. Stop that. It does them no good, and you’re not ‘communing with nature’. Or whatever it is you think you’re at.

Advertisement