Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling holiday - Lake Garda

Options
  • 17-04-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to do a cycling holiday around Lake Garda. Probably staying in Torbole but open to suggestions.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for bike shops for both road and MTB (rentals).

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I was there a few years ago. Rented a bike from Garda Bike Hotel and headed towards Monte Baldo - there was a lot of climbing, but an amazing spin.
    I think there's another thread or two on here with some good suggestions.
    We stayed at the south side of the lake, around Peschiera.
    The attached 2 photo's might help you with routes

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I stayed in Torbole just last September and couldn't recommend it enough as a base for a cycling holiday. I rented from Carpentari. They have two shops in the village and were fine to deal with. I think it cost €20 per day for a carbon Cube road bike. They also had fancy Pinarellos for a bit more. They rent mountain bikes too.

The region north of the lake is phenomenal for road cycling with great road surfaces, some handy cycleways and plenty of challenging climbs along quiet roads. They're working on building a cycle track around the perimeter of the entire lake but for the moment it's limited to certain sections such as between Torbole and Riva del Garda. I didn't bother attempting the circuit of the lake itself as the feedback seemed to suggest that the frequent tunnels and heavy traffic make it pretty unpleasant.

I didn't do any mountain biking but there are multiple agencies in Torbole and Riva del Garda running daytrips. Monte Baldo, as mentioned above, seems to be a mecca for MTBers.

There are excellent brochures available at all the tourist info points with suggested itineraries for different sports - road cycling, MTB, hiking, via ferrata etc. Much of that same information seems to be available here . This was my favourite route.

Another option worth looking into is the Dolomite bike shuttle. I didn't do it myself but if you have a full day to spare it would be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

That's great detailed information Sandwell. Thanks for the photos Welshkev

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bring lights - there are many unlit road tunnels in the Lake Garda region.

Being half way into a long winding unlit tunnel and hearing the roars of a V12 Ferrari coming from behind is an extremely unpleasant experience.

Advertisement