Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap qualifying

Options
  • 01-03-2019 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Does anyone know when the season starts for getting a cut in the handicap again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It'll always vary from club to club.

You can play qualifying with placing on the fairways. But as long as there is still lifting balls in the rough, it won't be qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Already back in elmgreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Takes a bit of getting used to the qualifying. Especially the club length relief in the rough being gone. That and going from 12 to 18 holes.
    I had a great run in our Spring League, averaging 27 points for 12 holes. Hard to transfer that scoring to 18 with only placing on the fairways.

Takes a bit of getting used to the qualifying. Especially the club length relief in the rough being gone. That and going from 12 to 18 holes.
    I had a great run in our Spring League, averaging 27 points for 12 holes. Hard to transfer that scoring to 18 with only placing on the fairways.

Where do you play with those rules??

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Where do you play with those rules??
    Presume you're asking about the club length relief in the rough? St. Margaret's - winter rules.
    Qualifying last few weekends with only placing on the fairways.

• Advertisement

Yeah the 1 club length is very generous. We were given 6 inches during non qualifying

On Saturday, we had no placing at all but non qualifying as bunkers out of play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I think though in St. Margaret's there was no placing in the rough, you just had the option to drop your ball within one club length. Most clubs I played at over the winter, there was placing everywhere which is in fact easier/more of an advantage.

HighLine wrote: »
    I think though in St. Margaret's there was no placing in the rough, you just had the option to drop your ball within one club length. Most clubs I played at over the winter, there was placing everywhere which is in fact easier/more of an advantage.

Correct. It was a drop in the rough within 1 club length. However, given that you now can drop from knee-height, I think it's (generally) more of an advantage than placing within 6 inches in the rough. You can take trees and bushes out of your line and often find better ground within 1 club length. For xample, on Sunday last, my ball was resting against a fallen branch behind a tree and probably cost me 2 shots, whereas with relief, could have moved both the branch and the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

It'll always vary from club to club.

You can play qualifying with placing on the fairways. But as long as there is still lifting balls in the rough, it won't be qualifying.

A new rule was introduced this year which allowed clubs to make a local ruling and have qualifiying competitions under the following conditions. Placing on the fairway and lift clean and REPLACE in the rough. Not place in the rough, exact replacing. We didn’t use it nor have I heard of any club using it . Personally I feel it’s open to wild interpretation of the word replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A new rule was introduced this year which allowed clubs to make a local ruling and have qualifiying competitions under the following conditions. Placing on the fairway and lift clean and REPLACE in the rough. Not place in the rough, exact replacing. We didn’t use it nor have I heard of any club using it . Personally I feel it’s open to wild interpretation of the word replace.

Yep, we used it for 1 week in our club as it was the 1st medal of the year.

It does definitely rely heavily on the honour code alright, but scores were pretty much in line with normal medal scores, with CSS coming in line with where it usually is, so I have to assume that most people adhered to the rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement