Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2019

Options
  • 10-04-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

There doesn't appear to be a thread for this year yet.

Anyway, does the recruitment for this belong to a special kind of special?

I applied to do it for this summer's exam. The SEC, on 8 April, sent me a letter stating "I am pleased to inform you that you have been appointed as Superintendent at the Certificate Examinations 2019 with effect from 4 June 2019...'

There is then a perforated slip at the bottom which you must send back saying "I Accept" or "I Do Not Accept". Oh yeah, and you must pay postage. Great, now where do they want me to go and for what dates? Could they put that basic information on the letter? Eh, no.

Presumably the SEC knows all their exam centres and their recruitment requirements at this stage, so why can't they allocate these centres and days? Then, we could 'Accept' something.

I applied, so clearly I'm willing to do it. The dogs on the street know the SEC is struggling to recruit people to part with 60% of the salary in a variety of taxes so telling us we've been offered this without telling us the dates or location is really not news.

Would it not be possible for them to tell us at this stage: You've been offered this location between these dates? That could be something people could decide to accept or reject. That way people interested could, for instance, book summer holidays (Ahem!!!!)? Or is there going to be some massive influx or drop out of LC/JC students between now and June that impedes the SEC's ability to give such advance notice to potential superintendents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

Pleas don’t ready this as being smart, or cheeky. But why the **** do you think that we all give out about the useless *€$*^ on here year after year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »

I applied to do it for this summer's exam. The SEC, on 8 April, sent me a letter stating "I am pleased to inform you that you have been appointed as Superintendent at the Certificate Examinations 2019 with effect from 4 June 2019...'

There is then a perforated slip at the bottom which you must send back saying "I Accept" or "I Do Not Accept". Oh yeah, and you must pay postage. Great, now where do they want me to go and for what dates? Could they put that basic information on the letter? Eh, no.

Presumably the SEC knows all their exam centres and their recruitment requirements at this stage, so why can't they allocate these centres and days? Then, we could 'Accept' something.

I applied, so clearly I'm willing to do it. The dogs on the street know the SEC is struggling to recruit people to part with 60% of the salary in a variety of taxes so telling us we've been offered this without telling us the dates or location is really not news.

Would it not be possible for them to tell us at this stage: You've been offered this location between these dates? That could be something people could decide to accept or reject. That way people interested could, for instance, book summer holidays (Ahem!!!!)? Or is there going to be some massive influx or drop out of LC/JC students between now and June that impedes the SEC's ability to give such advance notice to potential superintendents?

You don't find out until the week prior to exams. I always presumed that this was for security reasons. If this is your first time, you have to wait. If returning, you usually go the same school for a number of years.

You will probably only have a week so pack your bags for Thursday 13th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I got the letter too this morning. Except yet again I've been put on the reserve list (so rejected basically). 18 years teaching and examining with the SEC. Not really sure what I have to do to be offered a place in June. Don't really need it but would give it a go once anyway.

I notice on the slip there is a third option along with accept / don't accept

It's 'willing to be put on the reserve list in Dublin'.

Yet they are actively looking for superintendents on examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I got the letter too this morning. Except yet again I've been put on the reserve list (so rejected basically). 18 years teaching and examining with the SEC. Not really sure what I have to do to be offered a place in June. Don't really need it but would give it a go once anyway.

I emailed on the 13th March asking if they were still accepting applications and I was told they were. Madness you've been rejected!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Maybe they'd be a bit foolish to allocate people to centres 2 months in advance. I'd say a few who say they'll do it drop out. Best to leave it as late as possible... same as the marking. At least at the last minute everyone is more or less mentally committed. Too early and you have more mulling over to do and realise you've other options.

Rainbowtrout.... would you try putting down another address (friend/relative) in a nearby county?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

This morning the SEC said they were short 325 superintendents for Dublin. There's a thread on the Voice for teachers FB page about it. People from Dublin were told they need 23 years teaching experience behind them!!!

Maybe they'd be a bit foolish to allocate people to centres 2 months in advance. I'd say a few who say they'll do it drop out. Best to leave it as late as possible... same as the marking. At least at the last minute everyone is more or less mentally committed. Too early and you have more mulling over to do and realise you've other options.

Rainbowtrout.... would you try putting down another address (friend/relative) in a nearby county?

Nope. They think I’m good enough to mark exams for the last 18 years but not supervise them. Arguably marking is a more responsible role.

Also as all of my other details on the system would be linked to my own address it would be pointless.

They just don’t want to pay the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nope. They think I’m good enough to mark exams for the last 18 years but not supervise them. Arguably marking is a more responsible role.

Also as all of my other details on the system would be linked to my own address it would be pointless.

They just don’t want to pay the mileage.

Maybe they look for the address first! I wonder would they look at all the provided details before refusing. I reckon once they receive any application they punch in the PPS NUMBER or Teaching Council number . Perhaps if you were to input this incorrectly 'by mistake' they might skip that and go to the address before rejecting.
    Change the spelling of your name too (include second name or use the Irish version!).

It would appear they have enough people with less mileage in your area!

Was there ever a quota on using retirees for superintendent? I seem to recall something about only using 25%. It would stand to reason someone with seniority is taking your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lazyliza

I got a call last year late on the Friday of the June bank holiday weekend begging me to supervise in Dublin. Each year I've taken a reserve position last minute and so annoyed that I'm still being places on reserve after obliging them at last minute every year. The school I was placed in was full of retired teachers. Long story short I'm not obliging them at last minute this year. Spent hours on the M7 each morning and evening. Traffic chaos getting to the city centre school and post office each day and also minimum parking at city centre schools. Not worth it!!

• Advertisement

Maybe they look for the address first! I wonder would they look at all the provided details before refusing. I reckon once they receive any application they punch in the PPS NUMBER or Teaching Council number . Perhaps if you were to input this incorrectly 'by mistake' they might skip that and go to the address before rejecting.
    Change the spelling of your name too (include second name or use the Irish version!).

It would appear they have enough people with less mileage in your area!

Can’t be bothered with any of that. Lazyliza sums up how I feel about it. They are not willing to appoint people who are willing to do it, and it’s clearly because of expenses and then they are ringing around last minute the weekend before the exams start begging people to work in Dublin. They continue to accept applications while rejecting applicants who applied before Christmas. It’s not good enough.

Given that they don’t tell people where they are going until May they could easily slot someone like me into a centre in Dublin and then if someone dropped out closer to where I live before supervisors are notified of their centre they could easily move me closer to home and I’d be none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lazyliza

That's it put exactly, we are treated so unprofessional, not good enough. If they are willing to appoint you to correct you should be good enough to supervise. I took up the offer last year as I have no family commitments. Definitely not worth it financially for anyone who has to pay childcare. Gone from before 6 in the morning until 7 in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm trying to find what the daily pay is for superintending. They sent me this:

Financial Information for Examinations Contract Staff, 2019
    The rates of fees payable to staff engaged in examinations contract work have been increased by 2% for the 2019 examinations

But can anybody find that actual daily rate in that document, or elsewhere? Or is it done by session? Does the pay vary if one is supervising JC rather than LC? I can find a number of other rates - overnight, long day allowance, short day allowance, etc - but can't seem to see the daily base rate.

I'm trying to find what the daily pay is for superintending. They sent me this:

Financial Information for Examinations Contract Staff, 2019

But can anybody find that actual daily rate in that document, or elsewhere? Or is it done by session? Does the pay vary if one is supervising JC rather than LC? I can find a number of other rates - overnight, long day allowance, short day allowance, etc - but can't seem to see the daily base rate.

It’s €112 euro if you do the full day - morning and afternoon session, and €56 if you only do one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It’s €112 euro if you do the full day - morning and afternoon session, and €56 if you only do one of them

I thought that was readers/scribes? The daily rate for superintendents is the daily rate whether one or two sessions. I havn't my documentation at the moment but I'll update tomorrow. There is also something telling me we now are getting ~€115 as there was an increase.

I thought that was readers/scribes? The daily rate for superintendents is the daily rate whether one or two sessions. I havn't my documentation at the moment but I'll update tomorrow. There is also something telling me we now are getting ~€115 as there was an increase.

Ya I didn’t bother calculating the 2% pay rise as it is so minuscule

Advertisement