Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for a struggling teacher.

Options
  • 11-04-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone. Just a quick question.

I’ve recently returned from a 4 year stint teaching in the UK and am very much struggling to find any type of position back here in Ireland (as is the norm). Just wondering if anybody else has been in the same boat and found light at the end of the tunnel?

For example, in the last two months i’ve applied for 6 positions ranging from RPT, fixed-term and maternity cover with only one school responding to my application to kindly tell me I have no leaving cert experience. The last school I applied to was quite local and I was very hopeful, however I heard nothing back from them and heard later it was an advertised position which was already filled by an internal candidate.

I don’t know what to do really. I’m considering going abroad again for my own sake but then i’m also worried that the experience gained from going abroad will count for nothing. Career change is most likely which sucks. Any inside info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

More overseas experience will count for little. It all depends on your subjects and location. If you are history, geography, biology or business and others, you will most likely continue to struggle and there is little hope of full time or permanent work. If you have Irish, you should get a full time job immmediately. Take a look at education posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Henno232

More overseas experience will count for little. It all depends on your subjects and location. If you are history, geography, biology or business and others, you will most likely continue to struggle and there is little hope of full time or permanent work. If you have Irish, you should get a full time job immmediately. Take a look at education posts.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately i’m an English/History teacher (as is everyone else) in Cork whilst also teaching Media Studies for 2 years. I was also a Head of Year for 3 years but again, that all seems to count for little when I can’t even get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

No bother. I’m Cork too. Definitely unlikely, thought not impossible given your combination. Could you add Irish? Or even Maths. The modules needed for the Maths are actually easy enough if you had an aptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I will be straight with you. You have not been trying for long ? A few months?
    You seem to think that your UK experience counts. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    Go to a local school and tell them you are free for subbing
    Get a few extra qualifications. Religion or resource for example.
    If you want to stay in Ireland put in the ground work otherwise book your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Trust me with six months experience in a school here you will get interviews. I went through the no interview phase myself when I took a break from teaching. Then after six months subbing got interviews
    Do you really want to teach the rest of your life in the middle East or England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cateym

Also in Cork. Trained in the UK and spent years teaching in Middle East. Wasn't having much luck but spent a very short stint subbing in a school. VP more than happy to give me a reference and now I'm getting interviews. It's all about having Irish experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

No bother. I’m Cork too. Definitely unlikely, thought not impossible given your combination. Could you add Irish? Or even Maths. The modules needed for the Maths are actually easy enough if you had an aptitude.

I’m a returning teacher who has one year of maths from college. Where wound I find the modules for maths you refer to above.thank you.

Advertisement