Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minis killing Value of Retro stock

• 06-04-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been done before. However with the Sega mini on the horizon and being reminded of the stocks people have built up. You'd have to imagine that many would buy an original but new Sega Mini with 40 games or similarly with say the SNES mini over an original.

IMO That's why boxed stuff is so important now. That unboxed stock will be hit hardest by new, boxed, genuine consoles (with many games built in)

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Do you mean that existing genuine Sega and Nintendo games and consoles will be devalued?
    Quite the opposite seems to be the case, with such things only becoming more expensive.
    From consoles to carts the scene is no longer a niche hobby but mainstream and this is pushing values up with the new found demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is that a fact though, are the old ones getting more expensive?

There's a big glut of megadrives on adverts ATM.

The look to be similar or lower to proceed 15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Didn't happen with the Neo Geo X, NES mini, Snes mini or PSX mini, can't see it happening with the Megadrive mini either.

Those mini consoles are aimed at a much more casual nostalgia market. There's still a huge cohort of people left out there that are willing to pay good money for original hardware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stoner wrote: »
    Is that a fact though, are the old ones getting more expenses?

There's a big glut of megadrives on adverts ATM.

The look to be similar or lower to proceed 15 years ago

Consoles aren't suffering the same inflation that the games are.
    And Adverts isn't really the place to find these kinds of effects.
    Look on eBay and the trend is up.

I'd say the mini console/Retropie scene is giving people a taste of the good stuff and, while it's enough for many, it may well encourage a cohort to go looking for the original hardware and games.

It seems to be more pronounced on carts and pcbs, disc based games, CD-ROM or DVD, don't seem to be as effected, though short run titles like a PAL copy of Kuon, Ibara or Rule of Rose will cost quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

When they announced the psx mini and it got close to release I had such a run of original ps1s sold, literally within a day or two of listing they’d go so the mini helped me sell.

Regards to mega drives unboxed always sell quicker than boxed but as someone mentioned the other day it’s unusual stuff, n64s and GameCubes that are the easiest sellers nowadays.

I know you’re talking about keeping but demand must be a good indicator of value.

I suspect the collectors will be like me, to want a mini and an original and the ones who would never buy an original would probably get a mini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

I don't think the cost of an unboxed console has increased much, if at all, over many years. Maybe the same with boxed?

The real increases have been the software. As long as there are plentiful consoles floating around (which there are) there wont be any increase/decrease in prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

It won’t happen, because previous examples of ‘mini classics’ caused no pricing upheaval. It’s also a different market, those looking for a nostalgia hit versus actual enthusiasts. That said, it wouldn’t particularly be a bad thing, retro pricing has gotten absurd.

Advertisement