Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a cv for job seekers

Options
  • 07-12-2019 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi I'm looking for some advice. I just got accepted for JSA yesterday and have already started looking online for jobs. The thing is I don't have a CV. I spent my late teens and early twenties in a depression spiral and I'm only now starting to finally get my **** together. I dropped out of school at 17 and have no leaving cert, no qualifications and have never had a job. I genuinely want to work but obviously I need to submit a CV to apply. I've found jobs that I think would suit me but I can't just submit an empty CV. Where does one go to get help with this? My meeting with Intreo isn't until the end of January but should I just go there this week anyway and try to have a chat with someone? Or is there somewhere else that I don't know about? This whole world is so new to me and I'm feeling a bit stuck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

What county are you in and I’ll post up contact details for getting help with a cv and interview preparation etc. The help will be through the ETB and will be no cost to someone on a SW payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

getting a placement with tus (if they still exist) or even applying for a CE scheme can be a great way of building experience and getting a reference.
    the social welfare dept should be able to help or at least give you information.

i realise it is difficult to get a chance at any job without experience but you sound like you're in the right frame of mind to try so i wush you the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CV's, are challenging to get right as there a lot of different ways to look at them.

There are career coaches who could give you advice and might even prepare a cv for you having met with you for an hour but you are probably looking at a couple hundred euro for such a service.

I have attached a sample CV here which you could use as a template. Don't worry about not having much content to put in but include what you are comfortable talking about.
    Experience doesn't have to formal employment. List anything you did which might be considered work, even if you didn't get paid for it. Helping out on a farm or baby sitting for example.
    In terms of education, just list, the name of the school you were at and maybe subjects studied.
    The headings on this I think are relevant for everyone from a student, to someone with 20 years experience and numerous qualifications.

Finally, focus on what you do have, be the best at things that does not take experience or qualifications to achieve; politeness, responsibility, time-keeping, willingness to help out, do overtime etc. Those are things which every single employer the world over values.

If you want to list an example of your cv content here, you will get some feedback but be sure to keep all data anonymous.

I would also suggest, that this is a perfect time of year for seasonal work and so getting in somewhere such as a dept store, restaurant or warehouse might be a lot easier than looking for a permanent role and would give you something to add to your CV.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Hi I'm looking for some advice. I just got accepted for JSA yesterday and have already started looking online for jobs. The thing is I don't have a CV. I spent my late teens and early twenties in a depression spiral and I'm only now starting to finally get my **** together. I dropped out of school at 17 and have no leaving cert, no qualifications and have never had a job. I genuinely want to work but obviously I need to submit a CV to apply. I've found jobs that I think would suit me but I can't just submit an empty CV. Where does one go to get help with this? My meeting with Intreo isn't until the end of January but should I just go there this week anyway and try to have a chat with someone? Or is there somewhere else that I don't know about? This whole world is so new to me and I'm feeling a bit stuck.

I must compliment you on the way your first post on boards is written. I cant offer any advice but I would imagine you should have no problems finding work now. Not having a leaving cert is not the end of the world.
    I wish some of the posters on here even with their College or Collage degrees would express themselves as clearly as you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There's a crowd called Regional Employment Service that help with CVs. This is a free service. They might be called something else where you are. They do one morning a month in different resource centres around the place and have a permanent residence in a bigger town. As said, if you let us know where you are your replies will be tailored better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coloursofrome

Thanks a mill for all the kind replies! I really appreciate it. Makes me feel so much better about the whole thing. I’m in Kildare but can travel to Dublin if needed.

Advertisement