Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated places to visit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

fryup wrote: »
    Coral Bay in western australia on the ningaloo reef, stumbled upon it by chance many moons ago - gorgeous!

Went there to swim with Whale Sharks. Beautiful place in the middle of nowhere, I liked that it wasn’t over developed back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Istanbul for a week was hands down the best holiday I've ever had.

Stay in a hotel in the centre not a resort..

Cheap. Great food. Amazing history

Istanbul was the worst holiday I ever had. It was an awful place for a woman. Constant harassment on the streets, mostly verbal but also men following you, quite openly grabbing and groping, trying to pull you into cars/down streets with them. Taxi drivers taking detours to their friend’s/brother’s/uncle’s shop and making you go in, then the doors were shut and there was the hard sell until you purchased something, then you’d get driven to your destination. It was awful. I felt a constant sense of threat and fear. We actually cut the holiday short, left a few days early and came home, stayed in a lovely hotel for a few nights instead.

Istanbul was the worst holiday I ever had. It was an awful place for a woman. Constant harassment on the streets, mostly verbal but also men following you, quite openly grabbing and groping, trying to pull you into cars/down streets with them. Taxi drivers taking detours to their friend’s/brother’s/uncle’s shop and making you go in, then the doors were shut and there was the hard sell until you purchased something, then you’d get driven to your destination. It was awful. I felt a constant sense of threat and fear. We actually cut the holiday short, left a few days early and came home, stayed in a lovely hotel for a few nights instead.

I spent a lot of time in Istanbul, I'm a single woman but I didn't get any of that behaviour at all.
    The 'hard sell' is something everybody gets in Turkey, if you just ignore it, it stops, you don't have to engage. I have spent days walking around markets and a simple headshake was enough for them to ignore you!
    I never felt any fear and I have stayed in the city as a single woman.
    Coastal resorts are much worse and not somewhere I would go to as a single woman, unless you were just planning on staying in a hotel for the whole time.
    Friend of mine is very dark, actually looks foreign and not at all Irish, she doesn't get a second of hassle, she's totally ignored :)

It's a pity you didn't like Istanbul, I think it's an amazing city with so much to do and see.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The 'hard sell' is something everybody gets in Turkey, if you just ignore it, it stops, you don't have to engage. I have spent days walking around markets and a simple headshake was enough for them to ignore you!

It’s easy to ignore it and keep walking if you’re in a market or bazaar, much less so if you’re in the back of a taxi which you assume is bringing you where you asked to go, you’re in an unfamiliar part of the city, the taxi door is opened for you and you’re ushered into a building and the building door is then closed behind you, and you just want to get out of there before something bad happens. The first time it happened me, I didn’t know what was going on, why the taxi guy was getting me out of the car- was this the nearest he could get me to my chosen destination, was there a problem, wtf was happening... it’s a routine with them, well-practiced and before I knew what was happening I was in this shop with little I could do about it. I naively hoped it was a bad wcoerience with one taxi driver but when it happened a second time and separately happened my friend, it became clearer that this was a tactic of theirs. For that and other reasons I outlined, it was the most intimidating place I ever encountered. I vowed never to return. It cost me hundreds to change my flight and book the remainder of the week in a decent hotel in Ireland but I considered it money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

dublin49 wrote: »
    ShagNastii wrote: »
    Myself and the wife have done serious travelling the last few years.

We went to Lazarote in 2018. I was entirely snobby it being bit a of “package holiday” destination. But it is an awesome really unique place.

I found Lanzarote disappointing ,the lunar landscape is mildly interesting but the towns are so boring and awful,the only reason for me to go there is winter sun,

I'm inclined to agree. For towns and scenery, I'd take the Balearics over the Canaries any (summer) day.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Yes Sligo is a nice part of the West Coast without all the diddley eye tourist crap you get in Kerry and Galway. I have often stayed around Strandhill, lots to do there.

The country is fantastic and lots of hidden gems, it's a pity about the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Karlsruhe in Germany - went there about 10 year ago now when a friend of mine was working there - such a lovely small city, delicious cheap food and lots of history. I often think about it and how I’d like to go back one day :-) I never would have even heard of it only my friend was over there for work. It’s not far from Strasbourg so we went there on a day trip too - also a beautiful city! Amazing croissants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Lake Garda, specifically Malcesine and Limione. Glorious weather, food and drink.

Lake Garda, specifically Malcesine and Limione. Glorious weather, food and drink.

Lake Garda is hardly underrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Cambridge

Under an hour from Kings Cross station and 45 minutes or less from Stanstead so easy to get to. Locals grumble the train station is far from town but it's a walkable distance for sure, never bothered me

It's very pretty. You can do a walking tour and be brought around the colleges and be told stories. A thing to do one time is the punting boats, the workers hang around the main square, do their sale and walk you to the boat :) Was 10 pounds or so

I found Cambridge pretty and relaxed and have returned a few times.
    leahyl wrote: »
    It’s not far from Strasbourg so we went there on a day trip too - also a beautiful city! Amazing croissants!

+1 for Strasbourg

Beautiful city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Iran. Fabulous place to visit with so much history and beautiful architecture. A real culture shock. Hands down the friendliest people I've come across.

Also Georgia (The country). Cheap as chips with plenty to see and do especially if you are into nature and hikes as there are plenty of mountains. Tblisi is a great mix of old and new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Archeron

Navan. Even though the town centre isn't the most appealing visually, there's lots of history around the town. The Ramparts walk to stackallen is beautiful, lots of history and wildlife, Donaghmore Tower, Ardmulchan Castle and church, the history in the Old ruined mills, tis lovely. And then just a few km to slane, Trim, and loads of other ancient places.
    You might want to like ruins though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

The mountain villages of andalusia, Spain. Any time your in a coastal resort, you need to head inland to see the real Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

The "Bachten de Kupe" region in Belgium. It is an unofficial name for the region near the coast roughly between Nieuwpoort, Ypres and the French border (although the same landscape continues to Dunkirk in France and when included it is called "Westhoek").

It is a region of large fields interspersed with small villages consisting of a church and a clutter of houses. There are also some Abbeys, like West-Vleteren where one of the best beers in the world is brewed. This regions is where most of the hopfields can be found so no surprise that some of the better breweries can be found (and visited) there.

The landscape is ridiculously flat as far as the eye can see although it becomes hilly the closer you get to Ypres.

This is also where the Western Front was during the First World War so historically significant with many Monuments and War Cemeteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hamachi wrote: »
    Don’t know if it’s underrated, but I enjoyed Montreal in Canada. Felt like it had a lot more character than Toronto and Vancouver.

Parts of the city are quite beautiful, contrasting with the typical North American skyline. The nightlife is very lively, particularly in summer. It’s also interesting to see how much they value their French identity, without being obnoxious about it.

On a related note, the old town in Quebec City is also very appealing.

Was going to post the exact same thing!
    Montreal (dont know if its underrated) but its a class city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

GetWithIt wrote: »
    The Hague (Den Haag)

Hear me out. Loads of historic buildings and squares. Restaurants, bars, markets, antiques, an awesome beach. Train from Schipol only 20 mins.

Because it’s a business town there are tons of hotels but there’s no demand at the weekend so it’s cheaper to spend Friday, Saturday, Sunday, than weekdays.

Totally agree. Went there a couple years ago for a concert with quite low expectations but found it a really nice small city. Especially liked the food. The train network from Amsterdam Schipol is great, I'm planning to go back to the Netherlands again and try another small Dutch city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Limerick City, fantastic city with massive sporting pedigree. Walking around it late at night was surprisingly relaxing, could almost see the locals making an effort not to mistakenly intimidate.

Carlow Town. A little gem of a town that rarely gets a mention. It's even better now that the college has closed but even when it was open there was never much trouble with the students, the college comes down very hard on misbehaving students. Great place to shop and very safe.

Kilburn a suburb town in London, had a great time here, very friendly people. The early closing of the pubs is the only downside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

Tel Aviv.
    Has everything,on the beach,great nightlife,friendly locals.
    You can do day trips to the dead sea,Bethlehem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Colmar in France....beautiful. Hop on bus or train for daytrips.

Fly in to Basel and get train.

also

Tavira in Portugal.

Fly to Faro and get train. Visit nearby towns and hop across border on Ferry to Spain. (Aayamonte)

It’s easy to ignore it and keep walking if you’re in a market or bazaar, much less so if you’re in the back of a taxi which you assume is bringing you where you asked to go

I never use a taxi, so I'm sure that does happen!
    The trains are great, buy a card, like a leapcard, very cheap to get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

Trust me it's not underrated, going there for years and place is always packed!

Now in fairness maybe underrated by Irish people as certainly when we are there more Europeans then Irish compared say if you go to Spain or Portugal.

Also Georgia (The country). Cheap as chips with plenty to see and do especially if you are into nature and hikes as there are plenty of mountains. Tblisi is a great mix of old and new.

Georgia is high in my list. Can't wait to get travelling again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Graces7 wrote: »
    My dream is the wildest part of Alaska. And were I younger I would not leave it! I fear I am too old for such jaunts now...

But hey! I longed for a small, isolated island and I am here.

Anywhere desolate and deserted ie per se underrated.

I listened to a podcast recently on driving up the Dalton Highway and now I really really want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

As others have said, Lake Garda hardly underrated! But my sense is that the western side is less popular. When I was last there ten years ago, Limone felt noticeably less crowded.

I don't think Lake Como is underrated either, but I found it to be glorious.
    mikemac2 wrote: »
    Cambridge

Under an hour from Kings Cross station and 45 minutes or less from Stanstead so easy to get to. Locals grumble the train station is far from town but it's a walkable distance for sure, never bothered me

It's very pretty. You can do a walking tour and be brought around the colleges and be told stories. A thing to do one time is the punting boats, the workers hang around the main square, do their sale and walk you to the boat :) Was 10 pounds or so

I found Cambridge pretty and relaxed and have returned a few times

Have visited both Oxford and Cambridge. I found Cambridge much the prettier (although the consensus seems to be that it's better to live in Oxford). I think my expectation of Oxford (quaint university town) more closely resembled the reality of Cambridge. Oxford's streetscape is much more planned, with wide boulevards and the ceremonial Radcliffe Square. But I prefer the narrow, brick-wall lanes of Cambridge, and nothing at Oxford beats the magnificent Backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I had a great three-day trip to Porto.

Just a two-hour flight from Dublin.

Great architecture, friendly locals, affordable meals and drink. Plenty of accommodation.

While the city is very walkable, there is a very modern metro that also serves the airport.

You can take boat trips down the River Douro, sample the port wine in Gaia, attend an FC Porto match, climb the church towers, saunter across the spectacular Luis I bridge and visit the bookstore that inspired JK Rowling for Harry Potter. I think she worked there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Baltimore in west Cork, Ireland’s Monte Carlo

Wexford, one of Ireland’s driest sunniest counties is a beautiful place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sabat wrote: »
    Romania is well worth a visit.

gorgeous women and friendly people , never been there though

humberklog wrote: »
    Palma in Majorca.
    I'd say a lot of holiday makers don't bother making it into the city but it's a really lovely, interesting and friendly with great restaurants and bars.

Palma is amazing for such a small city feels a lot bigger than half a million people ?, spent half a day there in 2017 having spent a week in pollensa on the North of the island

Baltimore in west Cork, Ireland’s Monte Carlo

Wexford, one of Ireland’s driest sunniest counties is a beautiful place

agree on Baltimore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Gran Canaria

• Advertisement

Iceland is amazing country and beatuifuly bleak.....would visit again for more hiking 100%

It gets like 18 hour days during the summer too,serious value for your time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Venezuela is an amazing country. I did a lot of travelling years ago on a motorbike in south and central America and the landscape, food, friendship of the people was second to none and that's before you even mention the women who are in my eyes the most beautiful in the world. Dirt cheap for absolutely everything also.

Sad to see what's become of it in recent times and hopefully they can get back on their feet.

My sister's said the same. Sounds like a horrible country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Not so much a destination but i travelled across the Rocky Mountains by train a few years back from Chicago to San Fran and it was unreal,The train was virtually empty the whole trip so i guess the yanks underrate the trip too.
    Stopped off in Reno for a weekend along the way. A less in your face then Vegas city in Nevada and enjoyed it

My sister's said the same. Sounds like a horrible country.

It's really not, it's a fabulous country, very interesting and historical.
    Cheap, good food and lots to do.

It's really not, it's a fabulous country, very interesting and historical.
    Cheap, good food and lots to do.

I'd trust my sister's opinion over an internet randomer.

I shan't be visiting.

I'd trust my sister's opinion over an internet randomer.

I shan't be visiting.

You shouldn't
    I wouldn't ever take any one persons opinion as fact tbf, I like to get a varied overview and reviews and then make my own mind up.

You shouldn't
    I wouldn't ever take any one persons opinion as fact tbf, I like to get a varied overview and reviews and then make my own mind up.

I don't know who you are therefore I don't trust you.

Goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A small whimsical city called Prague. Amazing. There's a small castle in the center and it's lined with danty cobble stoned streets.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Inspired by the "most boring place you visited" thread, how about the opposite, somewhere you've visited that's not a major tourist destination but you'd recommend. For me I don't know how underrated it really is but I really liked Busan in Korea.

I also liked busan, but in general I just loved korea. 2 weeks was not remotely enough time there.

Porto also mentioned above is great. All doable on foot too really and a bit less busy than lisbon.

The whole of west cork is underrated. It's everything that kerry is but without the vast number of americans and I hope it stays that way. Roads are in rag order though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I think everyone should experience things for themselves in order to make their own mind up so would not be advising against any country.

But....

I have the same opinion of Istanbul as those negative reviews above. And I have heard SOOOO many positive things about it which is great for the city. However, I felt that constant low level harassment like I have never felt anywhere else and I consider myself well travelled.

Its not the same as "harassment" I have felt elsewhere that can be waved off. I definitely did not feel safe as a woman being there and it sounds silly and extreme but I never felt safe there and always had a small bit of fear in my head. I have been around the world as a solo traveller, have had plenty of little negative experiences which I got over fast, nothing that would turn me off a whole country or city. But despite not having a stand out negative experience there I really didn't like how I felt in Istanbul and I was not travelling alone when there. Lots of interesting things to see but I wont ever be going back unfortunately, my money and time will be better spent elsewhere and I wouldn't even go there for free to feel like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Valencia in Spain is a lovely city, far less busy than Barcelona, filled with history, and very walkable. The entire river was diverted after a flood in the last century, and the old riverbed is now a park that runs right through the city. It's the home of Paella obviously, so well worth a try, but there's lots of restaurants and stalls selling Horchata as well, a nice local drink which is very refreshing in the heat. There's also the Albufera lagoon south of the city and plenty of beaches just a short bus ride away.

Utrecht in the Netherlands is nicer than Amsterdam imo. Not as big and maybe not as much going on but has the exact same Dutch character, easily walkable and less crowded with tourists/hen nights etc. And its in the centre of the country so pretty reachable from everywhere.

Slovenia as well is a gorgeous country, Ljubljana was very nice but its a pretty small city so you can cover everything in a weekend tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I have the same opinion of Istanbul as those negative reviews above. And I have heard SOOOO many positive things about it which is great for the city. However, I felt that constant low level harassment like I have never felt anywhere else and I consider myself well travelled.

Haven’t been to Istanbul before, so can’t comment. However, I have been to a Turkish coastal resort (not Kusadasi) with an ex-girlfriend of mine. She felt very intimidated there the entire time and was subject to a fair amount of harassment whenever I wasn’t with her. The worst scenario we encountered was when we went into a clothes shop and the owner tried to bring her into a separate room to have a ‘private’ conversation. Needless to say, I told him to get f**ked and we got out of there immediately.

Our holiday was booked for two weeks, but my -ex wanted to return to Germany after a week. She’s German and we both lived in Munich at the time. I convinced her to stay on, but the second week of the holiday was a bit of a downer because she just wanted to go home.

I wouldn’t write Turkey off completely and might return one day. However, it’s definitely not a great destination for a solo female traveler, particularly if you’re young and obviously foreign i.e. blonde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Utrecht in the Netherlands is nicer than Amsterdam imo. Not as big and maybe not as much going on but has the exact same Dutch character, easily walkable and less crowded with tourists/hen nights etc. And its in the centre of the country so pretty reachable from everywhere.
    I've only been to Utrecht on a day trip, but I agree with this. It's a nice city with a genuine Dutch feel to it. And it's nice to walk alongside the canal which snakes it's way through the city centre.

Only about 25 minutes away from Amsterdam by train. Definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭supernova5

definitely Liechtenstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭VG31

Georgia is near the top of my places to visit. Georgian cuisine is also very underrated. Georgian food is extremely popular in Russia and it's easy to see why. There's a wide range of dishes and the flavours are very unique (Khmeli Suneli in particular). I liked Georgian food so much I've started cooking Georgian meals myself.
    Slovenia as well is a gorgeous country, Ljubljana was very nice but its a pretty small city so you can cover everything in a weekend tbh.

I was meant to go the Slovenia last year. I'm hoping to go later this year. Looks like a fabulous country. I've been to Austria and Germany a lot so the alpine landscapes are familiar but still different.

Slovenia is a lovely country, Ljubljana is a great, small city, out around lake bled is gorgeous and they also have amazing caves, not far from Ljubljana.
    Its good value too.

I think everyone should experience things for themselves in order to make their own mind up so would not be advising against any country.

But....

Its not the same as "harassment" I have felt elsewhere that can be waved off. I definitely did not feel safe as a woman being there and it sounds silly and extreme but I never felt safe there and always had a small bit of fear in my head. I have been around the world as a solo traveller, have had plenty of little negative experiences which I got over fast, nothing that would turn me off a whole country or city. But despite not having a stand out negative experience there I really didn't like how I felt in Istanbul and I was not travelling alone when there. Lots of interesting things to see but I wont ever be going back unfortunately, my money and time will be better spent elsewhere and I wouldn't even go there for free to feel like that again.

Yeah like I said, I felt a constant threat there and was afraid. I’ve travelled solo quite a bit and haven’t had a similar experience anywhere, though I don’t tend to go off the beaten track much. But in Istanbul it really was horrendous. Three days in we cut our losses and got out of there before something bad happened. I’ve never ever even remotely considered that anywhere else I’ve been.

The ‘hard sell’ I referred to was so different to the “oh special price for you, lovely lady” patter you get in markets elsewhere, it was being brought to a shop I hadn’t asked to be brought to, being ushered in without any explanation, the door closed behind me and two men there pressuring me to buy and speaking among themselves presumably about me, with no obvious means of exit for me as the taxi driver was blocking the door, and a general seedy/creepy vibe in the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Antwerp. Small, walkable, beautiful, has a great zoo and museums. Easy daytrips to Brussels or other Belgian cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wales.

... and it's on our doorstep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement