Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky fibre

Options
  • 15-04-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was with eir fiber to the cabinit for the past year. with no problems moved yesterday to sky to take advantage of deal ( eir was going up to 65 per month)
    My set up is as follows:
    router in kitchen- conected to it- sky box, tv, cat5 cable to point that brings back to other rooms. tp link splitter which fire stick, sky box( main) hue bridge etc
    all connected to.noticed the following
    sky router only has 2 lan ports at the back as opposed to 4.
    sky routher doesnt seem to like tp links as they wont attach to them.
    wifi coverage seems to be ok in house but drops completly outside.

Now I want to run cat5 to my mancave in the yard and there is no lan port available on router and doesnt like the tp link
    Very tempted to move back to eir.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jem wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was with eir fiber to the cabinit for the past year. with no problems moved yesterday to sky to take advantage of deal ( eir was going up to 65 per month)
    My set up is as follows:
    router in kitchen- conected to it- sky box, tv, cat5 cable to point that brings back to other rooms. tp link splitter which fire stick, sky box( main) hue bridge etc
    all connected to.noticed the following
    sky router only has 2 lan ports at the back as opposed to 4.
    sky routher doesnt seem to like tp links as they wont attach to them.
    wifi coverage seems to be ok in house but drops completly outside.

Now I want to run cat5 to my mancave in the yard and there is no lan port available on router and doesnt like the tp link
    Very tempted to move back to eir.

If you need more LAN ports on the router, get yourself an network switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

That is what I have with the tp link switch but the dam sky router doesnt seem to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

Not familiar with the Sky router but are they both definitely LAN ports? If they are using the same router for FTTC and FTTH one might be a WAN port for FTTH.

That is what I have with the tp link switch but the dam sky router doesnt seem to like it

Have you tried different cables to see if one is faulty?

Are individual devices able to connect to the LAN port on the Sky router?

Is there a limit to the number of IP addresses being assigned by the router?

Have you tried different cables to see if one is faulty?

Are individual devices able to connect to the LAN port on the Sky router?

Is there a limit to the number of IP addresses being assigned by the router?

Yep I tried using laptop both prorts with wifi turned off on laptop.
    wifi to tp working prefectly as also tried using laptop . so signle goes into tp link but doesnt come out. was perfect before move to sky.

• Advertisement

What's the model number of the TP-Link switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Give sky a call, the router i got had 4 ports and worked with the TP Links i had.
    Maybe they can send out an alternate router, you have to return at end of contract anyway so they may be happy to assist.

Tell them you require more ports due to WFH during covid and you were not aware their device was so limited compared to their competitors.

They definitely have ones with more ports, mine came with a sky Q box so that may be why they provided a better device.

What's the model number of the TP-Link switch?

tl sg1005d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

wifi to tp working prefectly as also tried using laptop . so signle goes into tp link but doesnt come out. was perfect before move to sky.

Maybe I am misreading but I dont understand this bit, you have a TP switch, how does wifi go to to it? All a switch does is allow you to connect additonal wired devices, should have no bearing on WiFi.

dam099 wrote: »
    Maybe I am misreading but I dont understand this bit, you have a TP switch, how does wifi go to to it? All a switch does is allow you to connect additonal wired devices, should have no bearing on WiFi.

Sorry not may not have made myself clear. I turned off the wifi on the laptop tp be sure that the connection was coming through the TP link switch or not coming through in this case.

• Advertisement

Give sky a call, the router i got had 4 ports and worked with the TP Links i had.
    Maybe they can send out an alternate router, you have to return at end of contract anyway so they may be happy to assist.

Tell them you require more ports due to WFH during covid and you were not aware their device was so limited compared to their competitors.

They definitely have ones with more ports, mine came with a sky Q box so that may be why they provided a better device.

I did this and got zero hop so decided at this stage will move back to eir at least all works with them.
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I did this and got zero hop so decided at this stage will move back to eir at least all works with them.
    j

Sure if you are moving back you might be able to get a deal out of eir again.

Surprised, maybe its only given out when someone gets the Q box as that is designed to be plugged in.

I would say getting your own router end of is not a bad call, many of the supplied ones are very low quality bits of kit in reality.

Sure if you are moving back you might be able to get a deal out of eir again.

Surprised, maybe its only given out when someone gets the Q box as that is designed to be plugged in.

I would say getting your own router end of is not a bad call, many of the supplied ones are very low quality bits of kit in reality.
    Ya got the "new customer deal" again from eir as I had left and was now a new customer.
    They insisted in sending me a new router even though the previous one was only 12 months old and worked perfectly the day before. mental stuff.

Advertisement