Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a store to an existing HTML/CSS site

Options
  • 19-03-2021 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

I have a business website that has been up and running for a few years. I wrote it myself in HTML and CSS, with a few scripts plugins just copied and pasted from internet sources for things like google maps and Google Analytics (i.e., to be clear, I can do HTML and CSS, but I can't do more than copy and paste Java or PHP etc.).

I want to add a store to the site, for online selling. I know it can be done with coding (which I don't think I could do, unless it was largely cop/paste with my data inputted in obvious places) or I could use something like wix or shopify to make a storefront and connect it to my site.

My question is what is generally recommended as the best way or provider to add a modest store to a website?

I'm sure coding it myself is probably the best - I would have most control - but I don't think I could code or even alter java or php by myself. I have looked into getting someone to do it professionally, but preliminary enquiries make it seem quite costly. I can use the likes of wix or shopify, but they have monthly charges which can add up and I wouldn't know which of these services suppliers are best.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If its a couple of products then lookup Stripe Checkout - its an easy way to integrate products into your site and it will redirect you stripes payments page to handle the processing

If you have a medium/large catalogue I'd recommend something like Shopify, takes a lot of the hassle out of many aspects of ecommerce. You lose the "freedom" on one hand, but on the other you would never build something as fully featured. Its about 25e per month which isn't bad when you take into account the security, hosting, performance, support etc

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Tippbhoy1

Did you build your site from raw html/css? No cms? You must be hosting the site someplace, and it’s costing you a modest fee already?

If you’ve designs to continue to expand this site, I think it would make sense to bite the bullet and move onto a cms. You seem competent on complex aspects so Wordpress and woocommerce would likely work well for you. I know I’ve recommended a sledgehammer to crack a nut but it will open up a whole world of possibilities. Cheap hosting can be got also.

Advertisement