Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for some range extender advice

Options
  • 16-03-2021 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm looking for some recommendations as to what equipment to go for (available in/to Ireland) to ensure good wifi coverage. The house is an old one with thick walls, quite large and two storeys, there's also an apartment/granny flat attached to it. Currently there are powerline adapters installed, they work fine for the most part but there's issues in the apartment with it dropping out, fibre has also become available so an upgrade is in order to take advantage of speeds.

Any advice/recommendations? I've heard people talking about mesh systems but I'm not sure if one would be suitable, I'm also considering whether running a CAT5 to the apartment might be the way to go maybe, though that would be a bit of a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

As far as I understand mesh - it either uses a 5GHZ channel or ethernet for backhaul ( Access points and router talking to each other)
    Old thick walls and 5 GHz don't mix very well, so if possible use ethernet I would say.
    And if running ethernet - don't use cat 5 - but at least cat5E or 6/7.

Don't know size and setup of house , but try a good router and see how far you get ( I just gave recommendation in broadband forum on that - basically I have a TPLink AX50 that seems to have really good coverage)
    Agree with the statement on powerline- never worked for me either properly.

If router doesn't cover sufficiently - maybe use a mesh system with one additional access point and put one on ground floor and one on first floor in more or less straight vertical line - or very near the stairs..
    Talk to neighbours and see what they do ?

For the granny flat - probably best to use ethernet. I know it is not always easy, but if the house is cabled for coax (TV) maybe replacing the coax cable with ethernet cable is an option without opening up the walls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

As far as I understand mesh - it either uses a 5GHZ channel or ethernet for backhaul ( Access points and router talking to each other)
    Old thick walls and 5 GHz don't mix very well, so if possible use ethernet I would say.
    And if running ethernet - don't use cat 5 - but at least cat5E or 6/7.

Don't know size and setup of house , but try a good router and see how far you get ( I just gave recommendation in broadband forum on that - basically I have a TPLink AX50 that seems to have really good coverage)
    Agree with the statement on powerline- never worked for me either properly.

If router doesn't cover sufficiently - maybe use a mesh system with one additional access point and put one on ground floor and one on first floor in more or less straight vertical line - or very near the stairs..
    Talk to neighbours and see what they do ?

For the granny flat - probably best to use ethernet. I know it is not always easy, but if the house is cabled for coax (TV) maybe replacing the coax cable with ethernet cable is an option without opening up the walls ?

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it's greatly appreciated! After digging around (and researching the issues you get from "Daisy chaining" mesh units instead of having them in an overlapping network/mesh) I've decided that there's nothing for the granny flat but to run a cable out and put in an access point there. I take your point on the thick walls and mesh backhaul, I'm not sure if the layout of the house lends itself to mesh even with the granny flat removed from the equation, as there's a bit of a power outlet "desert" in the middle on the ground floor with multiple thick walls between where the phone line comes in and a lot of the other rooms, apart from running cable it's a bit of a heads scratcher to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

oodles19 wrote: »
    Many thanks for the detailed reply, it's greatly appreciated! After digging around (and researching the issues you get from "Daisy chaining" mesh units instead of having them in an overlapping network/mesh) I've decided that there's nothing for the granny flat but to run a cable out and put in an access point there. I take your point on the thick walls and mesh backhaul, I'm not sure if the layout of the house lends itself to mesh even with the granny flat removed from the equation, as there's a bit of a power outlet "desert" in the middle on the ground floor with multiple thick walls between where the phone line comes in and a lot of the other rooms, apart from running cable it's a bit of a heads scratcher to be honest!

Try a decent router (buy from amazon and return if it doesn't work) and see how far you get... I have a 2 storey house with concrete walls downstairs (not very thick but still concrete blocks) it's about 3000 sq ft and the AX50 covers all of it (and more outside) bar a corner in one of the bedrooms.
    I was surprised, but it meant I have no need to use a mesh system at all.

Advertisement