Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky owned channels - launches/rebrands (inc HDR discussion)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

My subscription is INCREASING by €4 per month from next month - - it's NOT "at no extra cost"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭jones

After all the drama with my launch Q silver box not having HDR sky sent me a new 2TB HDR box as a replacement - as my last box started to overheat. According to the engineer all the 2TB boxes give problems he said the 1tb are fair more reliable.

In terms of HDR so far so good. I watched some matches on 4k HDR which did "pop" but there really isn't a lot of content on sky at the moment which takes advantage of HDR (i'm not complaining i'm happy to have it finally but it does seem anticlimactic). My internet is a bit rubbish to be downloading the 4k HDR versions of movies (not to mention the space they take up on the HDD).

I do note the new HDR boxes have an external power brick as opposed to the original internal one so this must be to try sort the overheating issue the engineer spoke about.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Just ordered a newer sky HDR compatible box.

Just wondering can you tell the difference much compared to ultra HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

I don't have Sky but on the likes of Netflix the difference between HDR and non HDR shows is generally more noticeable than that between 1080 and 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭jones

Yes agree with above, in general terms HDR is the game changer rather than the resolution jump from 1080 to 4k. I don't think there's a massive difference on the sky HDR but due to crap internet I rarely download stuff in full 4k HDR on sky. But on other media is very apparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I've just heard Sky have begun to carry this job for 3 of their Sky Cinema channels today.

From the article above.

It says that Sky Cinema Comedy, Sky Cinema Drama & Sky Cinema Thriller are in now in HD only on the Sky platform. The SD variants of these channels have been switched off.

I think this move may infer that Sky maybe moving away from SD to go HD as standard and maybe gradually go into UHD/HDR broadcasting at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sky is to offer its Sky Stream puck streaming device as a standalone product for those who would prefer to get Sky TV over an internet connection rather than satellite.

That means customers who do not want to swap their TV and/or sound system for Sky Glass, but still want the on demand and live TV experience, can opt for the puck instead.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/160747-sky-stream-puck-to-be-a-standalone-internet-tv-product-for-full-sky-tv-over-broadband

Advertisement