Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky owned channels - launches/rebrands (inc HDR discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sky Q 's next update has Netflix in HDR , its rolling out now and to be with everyone by mid November

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/sky/154156-sky-q-now-has-netflix-in-hdr-with-the-promise-of-even-more-hdr-content-soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

About time they have been so slow to roll this stuff out considering it was promised so long ago. I have the Sky Q silver box so won't bother to upgrade until there is some real content so this is more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Discovery + on the app section now .. free for first year.
    Good selection of on demand programs and covers 12 different channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

All now music channels and the trace ones have disappeared from sky

HDR movies have shown up in sky cinema too
    nice to finally 'HLG HGR' appear in the top right hand corner of my tv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭xtal191

Have many swapped their old Sky Q box for a new HDR one?

xtal191 wrote: »

i did about a month ago ,once i had watched everything i wanted to watch on the old box and more hdr content had been added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

xtal191 wrote: »

Did it yesterday and waiting for the box to arrive.
    Only upgraded to UHD the other day when I found out you no longer had to get the multiroom pack for it!
    The box has decided to hang a couple of times since (plug out and in job), so decided if they’re gonna swap the box, I may as well upgrade.
    Couple of questions though.
    1. Is the only difference between the “normal” 2TB box and the HDR version just the HDR capability?
    2. I’m already subscribed to Netflix, Prime and Disney. Can I just login using my normal details and use the apps, or do I have to register through Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Soarer wrote: »
    Only upgraded to UHD the other day when I found out you no longer had to get the multiroom pack for it!
    The box has decided to hang a couple of times since (plug out and in job), so decided if they’re gonna swap the box, I may as well upgrade.
    1. Is the only difference between the “normal” 2TB box and the HDR version just the HDR capability?
    2. I’m already subscribed to Netflix, Prime and Disney. Can I just login using my normal details and use the apps, or do I have to register through Sky?

Is it still 50 quid to upgrade? Seems a bit rich to be charging for a service that was supposed to be there just after launch. My Q silver box is quite noisy though so I might replace it in the new year with HDR version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No you don’t have to register through Sky and you can’t do so for Prime. It might save you a few quid with Netflix depending on your packages. It won’t make any difference for Disney+, it’s the exact same price. Only advantage of registering through Sky is seeing content highlighted on the Sky Q Home Screen. But yes you can just pop in your existing sub details and your good to go.

jones wrote: »
    Is it still 50 quid to upgrade? Seems a bit rich to be charging for a service that was supposed to be there just after launch. My Q silver box is quite noisy though so I might replace it in the new year with HDR version.

€60.

icdg wrote: »
    No you don’t have to register through Sky and you can’t do so for Prime. It might save you a few quid with Netflix depending on your packages. It won’t make any difference for Disney+, it’s the exact same price. Only advantage of registering through Sky is seeing content highlighted on the Sky Q Home Screen. But yes you can just pop in your existing sub details and your good to go.

Brilliant, thanks.

Get my Netflix through Turkey, so don’t think Sky will be that cheap! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is there a link online to upgrade to the HDR box or do you have to ring them?

I rang them.

Actually I didn't.
    I'd rang them the other day to upgrade to UHD. Instead of waiting, I took the offer of the messaging service.
    So when I wanted to ask about the new box, I just replied to the old conversation, the bot took over, and then an agent came online and sorted things.

The number used is 0861803162.
    Don't know if you can just start a conversation with it or what.

Quiet day peteeeed?

Quiet day peteeeed?

copy and paste :)

peteeeed wrote: »
    copy and paste :)

And having admitted that, you can take a warning. I’m editing your post to remove the copied and pasted text. We don’t allow long posts which are simply copies of third party material. It breaks up the on-thread discussion. The proper approach is to give a short summary and a link to the external article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

That's what you get for being helpful... Don't think anyone on this forum would have complained about the copy and paste issue..

Its breach of copyright and you didn’t attribute it. That’s before we even get into the length issues.

There is no further discussion on thread. There will be 48 hour ban without further warning for any on thread replies on this issue

anyway , not a bad list of HDR movies and the football to come in HLG

Have people tried anything from the list?

I have an LG OLED65C6V tv, and she’s HDR enabled.
    When I watch a HDR movie through the USB, the symbol will pop up in the corner saying it’s HDR or HLG/HDR.
    Same when I watch something in Dolby Vision.
    So I followed the list pocket-lint, and downloaded...
    Ad Astra
    The Dark Knight
    COBRA
    A Bee’s Diary
    ...all of which are supposed to be HDR. Nothing happened on the telly.
    Then downloaded Gangs Of Lemur Island, up popped “HLG HDR”, and the tv switched to my HDR settings!

So I don’t know if the list is wrong, or my tv is being fussy!

Have people tried anything from the list?

I have an LG OLED65C6V tv, and she’s HDR enabled.
    When I watch a HDR movie through the USB, the symbol will pop up in the corner saying it’s HDR or HLG/HDR.
    Same when I watch something in Dolby Vision.
    So I followed the list pocket-lint, and downloaded...
    Ad Astra
    The Dark Knight
    COBRA
    A Bee’s Diary
    ...all of which are supposed to be HDR. Nothing happened on the telly.
    Then downloaded Gangs Of Lemur Island, up popped “HLG HDR”, and the tv switched to my HDR settings!

So I don’t know if the list is wrong, or my tv is being fussy!

i have an OLED LG 55 , ive watched 2 movies HLG HDR has come up in the corner for both

i have an OLED LG 55 , ive watched 2 movies HLG HDR has come up in the corner for both

What were they?

What were they?

back to the future & the first harry potter movie

back to the future & the first harry potter movie

Cool.
    Found The Secret Garden, and that’s actually labeled HDR.
    So I reckon a lot of that list isn’t HDR at all.

Good to know there’s nothing I’m doing wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is the effect so subtle that you can't tell the difference other than a logo appearing on the screen? If so I'll happily do without.

• Advertisement

No, it’s not subtle. Well, not on my tv anyway.

It switches to a special HDR setting, which boosts the colours and brightness.

I just thought it easier to mention the logo.

Also, “normal” UHD seems clearer on this box than the older box too.
    Could be my imagination though.

Advertisement