Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky owned channels - launches/rebrands (inc HDR discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

peteeeed wrote:
    HDR arriving this week , live arriving for the Olympics 2021 , no word on netflix or disney plus apps

I got fed up waiting. Jumped ship in January. Don't think I'll ever be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭muffler

UK paper with UK news. Any link available to confirm if these changes will be available from tomorrow for ROI customers?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But, from reports noticed and posted by The Cush in another thread, it appears some of the early Sky Q (seemingly 1TB only) boxes will not support HDR.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/05/23/sky-finally-launches-hdr-next-weekbut-theres-a-catch/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

muffler wrote: »
    UK paper with UK news. Any link available to confirm if these changes will be available from tomorrow for ROI customers?

Tweets from the Sky Ireland Twitter account promoting the new channels:

https://twitter.com/skyireland/status/1265219896943796224?s=21

https://twitter.com/skyireland/status/1264897616422281216?s=21

The third “new” channel, Sky History is just a rebrand of the existing History Channel already available here (and in fact there’s a fourth, Sky H2).

No one has officially confirmed HDR, even in the UK, though you probably can’t blame Sky for not shouting it from the roof top given the length of tins it’s taken to roll out. However the Sky Q boxes here are exactly the same as the ones in the UK with an identical feature set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

HLG HDR compatible SkyQ receivers - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/check-which-sky-q-box, basically, Sky 2Tb boxes from v2 (external power supply) onwards and the new v3 1Tb UHD box. Version 1 (internal power supply) 1Tb & 2Tb boxes or v2 1Tb box (external power supply) or mini boxes don't support HDR.

SkyQ HDR FAQ - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/watching-sky-q-in-ultra-hd
    To watch in Ultra HD, you’ll need:

• A Sky Q 2TB box or a Sky Q 1TB UHD box. Not sure if your box supports Ultra HD or HDR? Check which box you have here.
    • The HD and Ultra HD add-ons, or a Sky Q experience subscription
    • To watch sports or movies in Ultra HD you’ll also need the Sky Sports and Sky Cinema
    • An Ultra HD TV that can display a picture resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second and has an input that supports HDCP 2.2.
    • To watch in HDR, your TV will also need to support HDR (HLG format) and have this setting switched on. Sky Q doesn’t support HDR10 content

Setting up Ultra HD - https://www.sky.com/help/articles/setting-up-ultra-hd
    To watch in Ultra HD, you’ll need:

- The HDMI 2.0 cable provided by the engineer during your Sky Q installation. It has a pink connector featuring the Sky logo on both sides and ‘High Speed HDMI’ printed on the black cable.

Sky community discussion thread on HDR - https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-HDR/td-p/3224223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Only channel appearing is sky history... No sign of documentary or nature

New channels don’t open till midday, and EPG additions are generally after 10am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

details of which box will work and which will not

Boxes that will not work with Sky UHD HDR are:

32B0xx Sky Q 2TB
    32C0xx Sky Q 1TB
    32C1xx Sky Q 1TB

This that will work with Sky UHD HDR:

32B1xx Sky Q 2TB

32B203 or 32B204 Sky Q 1TB

32B205 or 32B206 Sky Q 1TB/2TB

https://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/sky-finally-upgrades-4k-uhd-hdr-your-sky-q-compatible

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    details of which box will work and which will not

Boxes that will not work with Sky UHD HDR are:

32B0xx Sky Q 2TB
    32C0xx Sky Q 1TB
    32C1xx Sky Q 1TB

This that will work with Sky UHD HDR:

32B1xx Sky Q 2TB

32B203 or 32B204 Sky Q 1TB

32B205 or 32B206 Sky Q 1TB/2TB

https://www.homecinemachoice.com/content/sky-finally-upgrades-4k-uhd-hdr-your-sky-q-compatible

Full list of compatible SkyQ boxes by H/W version here

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/check-which-sky-q-box?awc=11005_1590572183_fca68ebb921bba68b8f7b74381f47a4a&dcmp=afc-78888-na-na-longtail&dclid=CjgKEAjwn7j2BRDljcri0_XImx0SJAAtSGciTbA_ev4Wz3yjjWxn5ZAlce0M7lRSAQWKmmpf6_qNMfD_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

HDR working anyhow ... not enabled in Netflix yet - guess I will be continue to use TV app for that

Will we get Sport in HDR? (when it's back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

i'm a no as as early subscriber
    And so am I ... I contacted customer service through chat the person I was speaking to hardly knew the difference between HD , UHD and HDR and told me once I was getting HD or UHD I would get HDR no problem even though my box is on the no list .. I asked if I could upgrade to a newer UHD/HDR box and he hadn’t a clue the box’s were different apart form the TB size ..

So does anyone know if we can upgrade our version one 2TB box’s with a box that allows HDR

harr wrote: »
    And so am I ... I contacted customer service through chat the person I was speaking to hardly knew the difference between HD , UHD and HDR and told me once I was getting HD or UHD I would get HDR no problem even though my box is on the no list .. I asked if I could upgrade to a newer UHD/HDR box and he hadn’t a clue the box’s were different apart form the TB size ..

So does anyone know if we can upgrade our version one 2TB box’s with a box that allows HDR

going by twitter and the forums this is not being entertained at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

keith_d99 wrote: »
    HDR working anyhow ... not enabled in Netflix yet - guess I will be continue to use TV app for that

Will we get Sport in HDR? (when it's back).

Likely, but as with all HD channels, Sky will try to eke as much as they can from you for same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

Early subscriber here too i bought the Sky Q 2TB "Silver" at launch (apparently the higher end box) imagine my surprise when i check and its not HDR compatible. My hardware version is 32B056 which seems to be in the no camp.

Ridiculous - i was already teetering on the edge of cancelling sky given how much HDR content i can access from streaming services. If there isn't a quick and simple swap out feature i'll be very disappointed and most likely cancel.

For me HDR is a bigger deal than 4k. I have an LG C9 and HDR looks stunning on it.

jones wrote: »
    Early subscriber here too i bought the Sky Q 2TB "Silver" at launch (apparently the higher end box) imagine my surprise when i check and its not HDR compatible. My hardware version is 32B056 which seems to be in the no camp.

Ridiculous - i was already teetering on the edge of cancelling sky given how much HDR content i can access from streaming services. If there isn't a quick and simple swap out feature i'll be very disappointed and most likely cancel.

For me HDR is a bigger deal than 4k. I have an LG C9 and HDR looks stunning on it.
    I have an LG too and one of the reasons was its HLG capable , I would imagine once it’s properly released We should be able to get a new box ( I hope )
    Easily adaptors of everything seem to get stung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone have issues downloading on the new channels?

Getting a message to upgrade or re-activate subscription for a Sky History download in boxsets. Have a boxsets sub.

• Advertisement

From a sky employee

As some of you have found out we've not been able to build the 2TBv1 upgrade journey. A few weeks ago we had a decision to make to either further delay or try and push ahead. We went with the latter on the basis that we've only released a very small library of content and our intention is to build the upgrade journey in the coming months as we increase the content.

There's little point to phoning us looking for an upgrade until the journey has been built and I know it's been mentioned in passing but we swap like for like boxes when doing service visits. At the moment it's a case of waiting it out as annoying as it is.

Thanks,
    Kei
    Community Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

From a sky employee

As some of you have found out we've not been able to build the 2TBv1 upgrade journey. A few weeks ago we had a decision to make to either further delay or try and push ahead. We went with the latter on the basis that we've only released a very small library of content and our intention is to build the upgrade journey in the coming months as we increase the content.

There's little point to phoning us looking for an upgrade until the journey has been built and I know it's been mentioned in passing but we swap like for like boxes when doing service visits. At the moment it's a case of waiting it out as annoying as it is.

Thanks,
    Kei
    Community Manager

Why wait till after a partial roll out and release a statement like that .. why not be upfront and say only a certain portion of sky Q boxs will have the upgrade and the rest will follow in due course when more content is added.
    It would save a lot of confusion for everyone including saving the headache of people hounding them all day... the rep I spoke to hadn’t a bull’s notion what was going and I don’t think he even realised HDR had been released and he was upfront admitting that ..

Todays posts from the old Sky Q thread moved here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Well I have to say for such a large company, they can't even spell documentaries correctly! How embarrassing for sky

Well I have to say for such a large company, they can't even spell documentaries correctly on the channel list ! How embarrassing for sky

F

Once was enough. The word is too long for the EPG listing character limit, it’s not a mistake. From the people who brought you Sky SpN HQ HD. That said, I’m not sure why they didn’t go for the more obvious “Sky Docs”.

icdg wrote: »
    Todays posts from the old Sky Q thread moved here

why ? we are talking about technical specs of the sky q boxes and HDR , not the new channels

why ? we are talking about technical specs of the sky q boxes and HDR , not the new channels

I assume because SkyQ HDR has been in the thread title since the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

jones wrote: »

Have the C9 also, did you get your calibrated?

Considering moving to Sky for HDR. Maybe not right now though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Seems to be mostly stuff pulled from other channels. Storage Wars on Sky History... Jeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Heighway61 wrote:
    Seems to be mostly stuff pulled from other channels. Storage Wars on Sky History... Jeez.

It is a bit of a joke that sky history consists of storage wars, pawn stars and American pickers.. Where is the history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

smurf492 wrote: »
    It is a bit of a joke that sky history consists of storage wars, pawn stars and American pickers.. Where is the history!

Is it that surprising? They just stuck Sky in front of the History Channel logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭decor58

Heighway61 wrote: »

This is on Digital TV, "exclusive" "never before seen footage".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just like "New to Quest" was on Disco the night before, etc etc. And to think you're paying top dollar for the privilege too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Am I the only one who finds this whole “upgrade” A complete yawn fest?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Set up fee ? Plug one box out and swap coax’s

Set up fee ? Plug one box out and swap coax’s

Yeah exactly guess it covers the cost of the journey and time to your house they will say. Anyway if it €50 I don’t care as long as it’s the new box.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Yeah exactly guess it covers the cost of the journey and time to your house they will say. Anyway if it €50 I don’t care as long as it’s the new box.

true but the content is not there yet , i'm in no rush at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

That's worth another 1.50 or 2.00 euros on the subscription next year .You get nothing from sky for free .

lgs 4 wrote: »
    That's worth another 1.50 or 2.00 euros on the subscription next year .You get nothing from sky for free .

HDR is well worth 2.00 a month in my eyes if you are interested in quality from your television experience. But they won't charge extra for it.

So it looks like the 50 pound upgrade is for a self install , its dearer if you need an engineer, this article also suggests they will send a box out now if you contact them directly now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/06/15/sky-details-its-hdr-receiver-upgrade-plans/#43fa7bf7e6e0

So it looks like the 50 pound upgrade is for a self install , its dearer if you need an engineer, this article also suggests they will send a box out now if you contact them directly now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/06/15/sky-details-its-hdr-receiver-upgrade-plans/#43fa7bf7e6e0

That seems to be UK only Sky Ireland still saying watch this space basically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

true but the content is not there yet , i'm in no rush at the minute

I wonder if the Netflix app on it now provides HDR?

It's a PITA having to switch, and pay for, a new box in order to get it. My current 2TB one is constantly over 90% full as we're always playing catch up anyway, so it'll be a nuisance from that point of view to change too.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I wonder if the Netflix app on it now provides HDR?

It's a PITA having to switch, and pay for, a new box in order to get it. My current 2TB one is constantly over 90% full as we're always playing catch up anyway, so it'll be a nuisance from that point of view to change too.

not yet for netflix

Yeah, but will it roll out to that and Disney+?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, but will it roll out to that and Disney+?

yes , i believe the official line is 'over the coming months '

Meh, maybe we'll have watched everything we need to do by then, I'll continue to use the TV and Xbox apps to get my HDR fix. Disney+ in particular looks great in HDR.

yeah its only the 3 nature docs at the moment , no rush

• Advertisement
Advertisement