Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Would a standard indoor aerial be ok for the Saorview channels?

As the lads said, it depends on your location. There's a checker on the saorview site.

I'm lucky enough to be able to see the very tip of Truskmore although I'm only 7 km away. I can get saorview with a rabbits ears sitting om the floor. Before they raised the mast I wasn't able to get the analogue transmission at all. Broke my heart to give Sky 30 or 40 quid a month just to get RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Milsey wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the image. I've been running it since yesterday and it's a keeper. Two questions. In the movie browser there is thousands of movies listed with no link. I presume it's your movie library that I don't have. How do I delete it. I cannot find how.
    Also when I power off and on again the channel goes back to channel one. I cannot find where to change that it starts with the last channel watched. I just can't come across the setting.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oh and I had to delete a load of timers that had been set. No biggie. Loving the e2i player.

Glad you like it.
    By the way, that isn't the latest image, which had all timers deleted.

Yes that is my database of films, should have removed it.
    To delete it:
    • Open Movie Browser
    • Open Menu
    • Scroll to "Reset Database", and set to "Yes"
    • Hit Green Button (Save) and Exit.
    (Note: The database updates daily, so should have reset, by now.)

To remove (RTE1) startup service:
    • Press the down button (below the OK button)
    • Select the Bouquet with the startup service (Main TV Channels) => Hit Enter.
    • Highlight the channel to be removed (RTE1), from the list.
    • Hit Menu and enter code (0000)
    • Select "stop using as startup service"
    • Hit enter

(Note: The same process, in reverse, sets a startup service.)

aka7 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Tiviar box with openatv to be delivered ... Just to clarify:
    To be able to play-pause-play live tv and maybe record, beside hard-drive, do I need 2 separate cables all the way from lnb to the back of Tiviar (LNB IN tuners 1&2)?
    No way to combine the 2 cables into one and split again to save on the cabling job ?

You can use a single cable to the Tiviar, once you have a Unicable LNB. (I have used this with other boxes, and it works great.)

If you're buying a Unicable LNB, it would do no harm to check that the manufacturer is one of those listed in the installation setup. (A good number are listed, including Humax, Inverto, Megasat, Schwaiger, Telestar and Triax.)

Sorry for the late reply, missed this previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

If you're buying a Unicable LNB, it would do no harm to check that the manufacturer is one of those listed in the installation setup. (A good number are listed, including Humax, Inverto, Megasat, Schwaiger, Telestar and Triax.)

I'm literally typing this waiting for the Sat install guy. I have the Tivilar here waiting to go. Thank you so much for the image!

I'm getting unicable installed, its a GT-Sat lnb. Have you split the cable so you are connected to both Sat in tuners? Thanks.

I'm getting unicable installed, its a GT-Sat lnb. Have you split the cable so you are connected to both Sat in tuners? Thanks.

There a link cable in the box to connect lnb1 out to lnb2 in. I haven’t used Unicable with this box, but that should work. If you’re having issues, I posted the original Tiviar manual, online. The connections should be the same with this software.

Let us know how you get on, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

You can use a single cable to the Tiviar, once you have a Unicable LNB. (I have used this with other boxes, and it works great.)

Sorry for the late reply, missed this previously.

Ohh wait a minute !!
    I didn't realise you can use a Unicable LNB with the Tiviar !!!

Thats very interesting.. !!!

I'd prefer not to have restrictions about what and when I can record...
    So, I was going to buy a gigablue or something (more expensive) cos I thought I'd need an FBC tuner...

Can you record multiple channels simultaneously? Or is it just two?

While I'm on the subject.. I find more and more that I want to record two saorview channels at the same time rather than satellite channels...
    Friday night I might want to record a match on TG4 and herself might have a soap coming on at the same time...
    Would I need a dual T2 tuner box for that?
    (was thinking Gigablue UHD UE 4K 2xDVB-S2 FBC and adding a twin hybrid T2 tuner)...

Thanks.. great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LeinsterLegend

THanks NewClareman. I'll let you know. I took the day off to get it installed and they've just phoned to say they cant get to me today due to a weather related backlog - I'm v disappointed so they are seeing if they can get another installer for me (I'm not hopeful). When it gets installed I'll let you know how it goes.

@vidapura: The Tiviar is unicable compatible but does not have FBC tuners. THis means you can split the cable (on ordinary lnbs you cant) but you wont get all the virtual tuners an FBC tuner gives you. (at least that's my understanding from my own research but I'm a complete noob at this!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of jumping to this but have a few questions.

1) I currently have Sky Q and see from posts that it needs a hybrid lnb. I get Sky via a shared dish on apartment block with no access to dish. When I upgraded to Sky last year the engineer did connect cables to some sort of junction box/transformer. Will this work with box?

2) Everybody mentions Tiviar box but I see it's from 2013. Is that not dated at this stage?

Is it easy to install. I'm handy enough but know nothing about this. So just connect box to dish and saorview. Install image and that's it apart from settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

2) Everybody mentions Tiviar box but I see it's from 2013. Is that not dated at this stage?

Yes it is a bit dated ....... but it was at its release a great specification and very costly.
    Since then it has reduced considerably in price and the hardware is still good by todays standards.

Last year it was finally hacked so that different operating systems could be used on it, hence the 'revival'.

So now, with a different image(OS) and good hardware, it is one of the better options available in its price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think it was originally 400 quid without a drive in 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think it was originally 400 quid without a drive in 2013

Yes
    http://linux-tv.com/receiver/tiviar-alpha-plus/
    Option to fit Internal SATA HDD 2.5″

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Beginning to think I have an issue with the box itself. I simply cannot get it to pick up the image from the usb or any usb port on the rear. I've downloaded the image and extracted it. Formatted the drive in fat 32 and copied across the extracted folder. All box will do is boot up and go straight to default installation looking for language settings then scanning for satellites etc.
    Note.ive no HDD yet installed , nor is it connected to aerial or sat feeds I assume it should flash without been connected to these?
    Tried 7 usb keys even bought an 8 GB Kingston.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

trabpc wrote: »
    Beginning to think I have an issue with the box itself. I simply cannot get it to pick up the image from the usb or any usb port on the rear. I've downloaded the image and extracted it. Formatted the drive in fat 32 and copied across the extracted folder. All box will do is boot up and go straight to default installation looking for language settings then scanning for satellites etc.
    Note.ive no HDD yet installed , nor is it connected to aerial or sat feeds I assume it should flash without been connected to these?
    Tried 7 usb keys even bought an 8 GB Kingston.
    Any ideas?

Can you confirm that the usb only contains a folder named tiviaraplus, in which there are only the update files, nothing else. And that you're trying with the usb port at the back of the box. Also that you're pressing power when prompted on the display while the box is booting

Yes that's the only folder. I'm not getting prompt on box to press white button. Which usb port at rear. There is 3 on back?
    I've tried all 4 USB ports. I get the following messages on start up:

L1.16
    Start 1
    Time Calibration
    Installation guide

Box never prompts to press white button

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I'm still humming and hawing about going for this box , not brave enough to pull the trigger yet.

Few questions to help give me a push :pac:

-Will I be able to record saorview

-Is the recording series linked

-Is it full hd 1080p

-The tv3 app is gone , will the virgin media one work

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yes to the first three.

Not sure about the tv3/Virgin thing. I'm not at home to check.

vidapura wrote: »
    Ohh wait a minute !!
    I didn't realise you can use a Unicable LNB with the Tiviar !!!

Thats very interesting.. !!!

I'd prefer not to have restrictions about what and when I can record...
    So, I was going to buy a gigablue or something (more expensive) cos I thought I'd need an FBC tuner...

Can you record multiple channels simultaneously? Or is it just two?

While I'm on the subject.. I find more and more that I want to record two saorview channels at the same time rather than satellite channels...
    Friday night I might want to record a match on TG4 and herself might have a soap coming on at the same time...
    Would I need a dual T2 tuner box for that?
    (was thinking Gigablue UHD UE 4K 2xDVB-S2 FBC and adding a twin hybrid T2 tuner)...

Thanks.. great thread.

The tuner is not wideband, as stated earlier. However, you can watch/record up to three satellite stations, once two are on the same transponder. You can simultaneously watch/record one terrestrial channel.

I hear you re supporting multiple terrestrial channels - I get the same from Wifey. The box supports a second terrestrial tuner , via usb. I’m going to order one of these, over the next week. (I have one, but it’s not compatible.) Some have a standard coax socket at the rear, giving an ok solution.

@Barr The three app is throwing an error, stating that ad blockers are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

@Barr The three app is throwing an error, stating that ad blockers are not allowed.

Shame about that , thanks for checking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

I thought while watching one sat channel and recording from another I needed two sat feeds.

From the manual...

Satellite Dish Connection
    Connect the cable from the satellite dish to LNB IN of TUNER 1. In most situations,
    connect LNB OUT of TUNER 1 to LNB IN of TUNER 2 using the loopthrough
    cable. Only when two satellite dishes are available without any multi-dish switch,
    users should connect the cable from the other dish to LNB IN of
    TUNER 2.

What would their config achieve?

• Advertisement

davidm20 wrote: »
    I thought while watching one sat channel and recording from another I needed two sat feeds.

From the manual...

Satellite Dish Connection
    Connect the cable from the satellite dish to LNB IN of TUNER 1. In most situations,
    connect LNB OUT of TUNER 1 to LNB IN of TUNER 2 using the loopthrough
    cable. Only when two satellite dishes are available without any multi-dish switch,
    users should connect the cable from the other dish to LNB IN of
    TUNER 2.

What would their config achieve?

If you have a Unicable feed, from an LNB or Multiswitch, it would allow you watch/record up to three satellite channels, from two different transponders.

With a standard feed it would allow you watch/record up to three satellite channels, from the same transponder.

Yes that's the only folder. I'm not getting prompt on box to press white button. Which usb port at rear. There is 3 on back?
    I've tried all 4 USB ports. I get the following messages on start up:

L1.16
    Start 1
    Time Calibration
    Installation guide

Box never prompts to press white button

I never saw those messages, is there any chance the box is still on the original Fortis OS. When the box is booted up, and showing a channel, what is shown on the display?

Seller advised box is blank and said best image was openatv on email to me when I asked what image was onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Seller advised box is blank and said best image was openatv on email to me when I asked what image was onboard

If your box has openATV already why not let it install properly and see exactly what you have. If it IS openATV you will be able to install or upgrade from within the OS itself.

Seller advised box is blank and said best image was openatv on email to me when I asked what image was on-board

All I can think of is that the box is still on the original Fortis OS Operating System. I am posting the instructions to convert from this, in the next post. (This is what I would attempt, but use at your own risk. :) )

The following steps are adapted from the Open ATV Forum, and are reproduced here for convenience, only. I have never converted a stb from the Fortis OS and cannot stand over their veracity.

1) Download the “cfe-tiviaraplus_to_Enigma2-20171020.zip” file,
    from the directory at start of this thread (post 1).
    2) Format USB Stick (128 MB - 2 GB USB 2.0) as FAT32
    3) Extract the zip file and copy the files to the USB Stick
    4) Power off your Box with the rear power switch.
    5) Disconnect any USB-HDD or WIFI Sticks from the Box
    6) Connect the USB Stick to any free USB port (I use the front port, for convenience).
    7) Press and hold the Channel Up Key on front of the Box and power on the box with rear power switch. (Note that this is not the “Power On” key with the white light.)
    8) The front display will show download and after 2 sec "Complete".
    (This means that the box can now be flashed with an Enigma2 Image.)
    9) Power off the Box with the rear power switch

10) Download the most recent image, from the link at start of this thread (post1).
    11) Flash the box, as described previously

Looking at that linked thread it looks like my box is running Fortis. I'll let u know how it goes.

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

If you have a Unicable feed, from an LNB or Multiswitch, it would allow you watch/record up to three satellite channels, from two different transponders.

With a standard feed it would allow you watch/record up to three satellite channels, from the same transponder.

Balls, I just renovated and AFAIK got standard coaxial cable run from the SAT in...

Approx how many transponders are on Astra?

Looking at that linked thread it looks like my box is running Fortis. I'll let u know how it goes.

Tks
    Thanks allot all up and running now. Found an old 128 mb usb key and got it ready for flashing. Great stuff. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks allot all up and running now. Found an old 128 mb usb key and got it ready for flashing. Great stuff. Thanks again.

Glad to help. :)

Advertisement