Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching eir Mobile Plans?

Options
  • 18-04-2021 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch from a €45/month eir plan to a sim only plan which is currently €14.99 for the first year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

CyberDave wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to switch from a €45/month eir plan to a sim only plan which is currently €14.99 for the first year?

That'll depend on how long is left on your current contract I'd imagine.

If you're out of contract then no issue, but otherwise I'd expect a cancellation fee that might be as much as €45 x whatever months left.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Thanks. I have been out of contract for a while. They don't make it easy on their website to find how to do this. I will keep searching!

Thanks. I have been out of contract for a while. They don't make it easy on their website to find how to do this. I will keep searching!

Best bet will be to call the sales team and tell them you want to switch to whatever package.

Before you do though, consider GoMo which is eir's discount brand (in the same way as Meteor was previously). They upped the prices lately to €14.99 as well but it's a "for life" price and with only a 30-day contract, uses the same network, and just works in my experience. Of course there's no stores or phone support for that but it's worth the trade-off IMO

I'm with them since it launched at €9.99 (and am still paying that as that was the "for life" rate then) and have had zero issues. Big threads here about it so check those out too.

Thanks. I've had a look and definitely will consider GoMo. Do you have to give written notice to eir about switching?

I was previously on Vodafone and remember it taking almost a week to get my number switched over a few years back.

Thanks. I've had a look and definitely will consider GoMo. Do you have to give written notice to eir about switching?

I was previously on Vodafone and remember it taking almost a week to get my number switched over a few years back.

If you're out of contract, you just setup the switchover on the Gomo site and pick the date from which you want it to take effect (unless this has changed since I joined).

They will post you a new sim and you insert it on the day when your old one goes dead (which you'll be able to tell when it goes to emergency calls only).

Eir will then send you a final bill. Pay that and you're done. Be careful though after that as Eir are not unknown for billing people afterwards anyway. Cancel the direct debit with your bank once you've paid the last bill would be my advice.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I have heard on several podcasts that eir are capable of continuing the charge if not cancelled. Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement