Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Samsung Note 9?

Options
  • 17-04-2021 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Have my Samsung Note 9 just over 2 years. Fantastic phone. Battery life is starting to fade though. Thinking of just getting the battery replaced. I'll lose the water proofing doing that but not a big deal really.

Thinking then that it might be good time to consider an upgrade instead of spending money on a 2 year old phone. Not bothered with the ultra high-end phones. I don't game on my phone but want at least equivalent performance as the Note 9. Don't care about high refresh rate. I want something that feels snappy. Want at least as good a camera as I have now.

Any good recommendations for an upgrade or should I just stick a new a battery in mt Note 9?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Note 20 Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I went from the Note 9 to the Note 10 Plus before Christmas. To be honest in day-to-day there's very little difference in terms of performance (I'm not a gamer). Not really pushed on cameras either but it's probably better (decent enough for my needs either way).

Bigger screen is nice though but if you're happy with the Note 9 (I only changed as I passed it on to my son whose S7 was on the way out) then it might be worth just getting a new battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭dmigsy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I went from the Note 9 to the Note 10 Plus before Christmas. To be honest in day-to-day there's very little difference in terms of performance (I'm not a gamer). Not really pushed on cameras either but it's probably better (decent enough for my needs either way).

Bigger screen is nice though but if you're happy with the Note 9 (I only changed as I passed it on to my son whose S7 was on the way out) then it might be worth just getting a new battery.

Cheers, yeah, I'm leaning towards just putting a new battery in and keeping it for another year. It's probably the sensible way to go. Spending >800 quid on a Note 20 Ultra or >650 on a Note 10 plus probably doesn't make sense for my usage. I'm happy with the Note 9 in pretty much every way except the fading battery life.

Was just checking to see if there was anything obvious that I was overlooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Fonfix (Fonfix.com) are showing €54 for battery replacement. They are Samsung Authorised repair center and state that the IP water rating is maintained.

I was expecting it to cost more to be honest.

There's not much reason going with the current range if you have the Note 9. Better to wait for Note 21.

wandererz wrote: »
    Fonfix (Fonfix.com) are showing €54 for battery replacement. They are Samsung Authorised repair center and state that the IP water rating is maintained.

I was expecting it to cost more to be honest.

There's not much reason going with the current range if you have the Note 9. Better to wait for Note 21.

Good find. Had only seen it for €80 elsewhere. Great that they can retain the waterproofing too. Mind is made up now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dmigsy wrote: »
    Good find. Had only seen it for €80 elsewhere. Great that they can retain the waterproofing too. Mind is made up now!

Ptobably the right decision from what you've said.

The newer ones have removed the LED notification (though you can sorta get around it with an app), and I prefer the fingerprint sensor on the back personally rather than smudging the screen everytime, plus I discovered yesterday that they removed the heartbeat sensor/BP tester health components (presumably to try and push people to buy the smart watch instead).

Feck, might go back to a Note 9 myself :)

To close this out I went with Fonfix. Was picked up Monday and returned Tuesday by courier. Not bad for €54. Battery life back to what it should be so no need to upgrade until the Note 9 is out of security updates. Cheers all.

Advertisement