Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ftth distance from pole..

Options
  • 19-07-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

My friend lives up a boreen off a road where the fibre broadband cable runs past. There's one of those black boxes on a pole at the end of the boreen. How far can the ftth be run from the black box? Eir are saying no but i'm wondering if they're just trying to avoid a slightly awkward job...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Navi will correct me but about 200M is the largest run. 4 new poles worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've had a look on Google Earth and it looks like he's 500 metres from the pole at the "main" road....now I'm wondering if there are any viable options? I don't think an installation charge of €500-1000 would be an issue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm 400m from the nearest active pole and they won't install for me :(

exaisle wrote: »
    I've had a look on Google Earth and it looks like he's 500 metres from the pole at the "main" road....now I'm wondering if there are any viable options? I don't think an installation charge of €500-1000 would be an issue....

At present they won't do paid for installs like that.

If he's eager to get connected setup a P2P radio link to a neighbour on the road and offer to go 50/50 on 300/1000 with them. 150Mb each is plenty, 850/150 if the neighbour wants it.

Their website mentions FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet)....using the existing copper wire for the last stretch, from the cabinet to the home/premises and I understand that this can be up to 1km in length...but I'm not sure where the nearest cabinet is....I assume the boxes on the poles are not "cabinets" for the purposes of FTTC...

• Advertisement

If he's got DPs on poles that close its almost guaranteed theres no FTTC nearby.

You can check the cabinet locations on here
    https://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

Check the VDSL cabinets box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

exaisle wrote: »
    My friend lives up a boreen off a road where the fibre broadband cable runs past. There's one of those black boxes on a pole at the end of the boreen. How far can the ftth be run from the black box? Eir are saying no but i'm wondering if they're just trying to avoid a slightly awkward job...

From an insider
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    It can go a max 500m cause that's all our cable length is the rule is 5 poles and a drop with permission it can be extended to 7 poles someone in openeir has to approve of stretching out to seven.
    Each pole is on average 50m apart at most 60m

of course the property has to be on open-eir's rollout plan otherwise it's the NBP

So....I have another friend. Actually, he's a neighbour. His house is about 170 metres from the pole with the last DP box on the line from the exchange.
    Should he be able to get FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

has he input his eircode to the airwire checker? if so what does it indicate?

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/

Advertisement