Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change WiFi extender to mesh system. What to get

Options
  • 16-04-2021 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

I have a WiFi extender on the handing which only gives patchy coverage upstairs. The house is small, 1300 sq ft, dormer. The router is in a downstairs room.

I've been reading about mesh systems and would like to look into it to replace the extender.
    I'm not sure how exactly it works and what to get , brands etc.

I just got VF broadband installed and gave their gigabit router. Line gives about 75/80 mbs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭andublin

batman1 wrote: »

I've been reading about mesh systems and would like to look into it to replace the extender.
    I'm not sure how exactly it works and what to get , brands etc.
    The ideal approach is to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the area you want service in and connect it to a Wireless Access Point there (WAP).

One alternative is to use a power line extender with WiFi, similar approach but not guaranteed success.

Sounds like your place is too small to need more than one WAP so you don’t need mesh; and a WiFi extender is always dependent on the signal reaching the extender, so if that is poor then the WiFi extender may always struggle. What model have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

Had similar problem before,bought tp link m5 mesh system,simple to set up with the app and working perfectly for me since Christmas,i would highly recommend it
    https://www.komplett.ie/tp-link-deco-m5-multiroom-wifi-systeem-duo-pack/20902541/product

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

andublin wrote: »
    The ideal approach is to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the area you want service in and connect it to a Wireless Access Point there (WAP).

One alternative is to use a power line extender with WiFi, similar approach but not guaranteed success.

Sounds like your place is too small to need more than one WAP so you don’t need mesh; and a WiFi extender is always dependent on the signal reaching the extender, so if that is poor then the WiFi extender may always struggle. What model have you got?

The ethernet option is not a runner unfortunately.

The WiFi extender is a BT dual WiFi extender 610.

The router is a Vodafone gigabox, black in colour. It's in the corner of the house footprint, if you can visualise. The house is 8 metres X 8 metres and is a bog standard dormer semi d with no concrete floors upstairs .
    We were planning on changing the box room at the back upstairs into a 'work from home' space so that's why I was thinking on the mesh because the box room is st the opposite corner of the house, upstairs.

When the router was installed I asked the engineer if we could plug it into any other phone sockets in the house but he said no that it has to be plugged into the 'main' phone socket, which is in the corner in a bedroom downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

batman1 wrote: »
    Anyone?

Try a powerline wifi extender about 50 quid... works a treat

There is a possibility that the patchyness is your devices jumping from the extender back to the router... a mesh should get over that. I have a deco m4. Took 10 minutes to setup and gives great seemless coverage throughout the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I bought a Google Nest Mesh system. Arrived this morning but I haven't taken it out of the box yet.

I'm having the same issue, standard 3 bed semi detached but can't get decent connection in the bedrooms upstairs.

I'll be setting it up tomorrow and will let you know how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I put the nest router beside my current Virgin router and the extended WiFi point in our office (which is pretentious for the spare bedroom).

While lying in bed a couple of nights before I added the mesh system I tested the WiFi speeds using the ubiquiti wifiman app. I was getting download speeds of 10.2mbs and uoload speeds of 15.6mbs. Though I tended to have to go on 4g most of the time I was in our bedroom.

I tested it from the bed again at the same time last night and I was getting download speeds of 123.9 and upload speeds of 25.7mbs.

I don't do any form of gaming but the PING showed last night at 191ms.

The Nest WiFi router allows you to do a speed test on the router itself is getting. It was showing as getting 265mbs download and 29mbs upload.

If I bought another few wifi points I could improve the WiFi speeds as I would have less of a gap between them but those results are good enough for me for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭sundodger5

As one poster above mentioned the tp link deco range is really good.
    I got the M4 have a look at the range and see which suits.
    Easy setup and very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

I replaced a TP Link Extender with the Amazon Eero Mesh last year and it's been great. I got the three pack - can't remember how much it was but it was on special at the time with some Prime deal.
    I only have a 50Mb line coming in but I still get close to 45Mb all over the house through the Eero.
    Would highly recommend it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

As mentioned i have the TP Link M5 mesh system , highly recommend.

Will be upgrading to the M9 eventually as they have Zigbee built in (for Hue bulbs etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I installed a Wifi 6 Deco mesh setup recently to extend coverage to my shed, very impressed with it, ease of setup and signal quality

I have the Deco M5 and ive to say its patchy enough for what i expected around the satellite unit

Originally had it set up at the back door of the kitchen to serve a ring camera outdoor and constantly dropped

Moved it to the box room upstairs for office work and again constantly dropping, despite speedtest and the app telling me i have > 150mbps download

Possible that ive a deeper issue (wifi throughout on task manager drops to 0 every few seconds while on video calls or working through citrix) but it does seem to be a constant when working on the satellite deco

Any pointers welcome as im close to going back to powerline here just for a consistent 20mb connection in the office

As a halfway step ive run a CAT from the receiving deco in the office to a dick and it seems to have sorted it

Why theres an issue between the deco and a laptop six feet away is beyond me but it'll fit the bill for now

Advertisement