Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help first time Xiaomi owner

Options
  • 12-04-2021 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I recently bought my first Xiaomi (Poco X3 NFC) and I have a few questions that I'm hoping a few of you longer term Xiaomi owners might have some advice for.

The first is Android auto. I realised (after I bought the phone) that apparently this is a known issue, that they don't play nicely together. There are articles online for things that might help but has anyone actually gotten it to work and if so, how? Is it worth the effort?

The second one concerns me a bit more. I like to have spare charging cables, not just the one it came with. All our other devices are older android micro usb connectors so apart from the cable that came with the phone the only other cable I have at the moment came with the car and the phone doesn't recognize it at all, doesn't register anything has been plugged into it. It's a 3-in-1 cable (has connectors for apple and micro & usb C) and the micro usb works fine so the cable works (although I don't have another device to test the type c with). Is there generally an issue with third party cables or is there one that should work??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Never had an issue with 3rd party cables. Used various cables between Xiaomi phones in our house and they all work fine.

While im not 100% about Android Auto, I noticed there are 2 different apps in the play store. It would only work for me when I installed both for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

tcif wrote: »
    I recently bought my first Xiaomi (Poco X3 NFC) and I have a few questions that I'm hoping a few of you longer term Xiaomi owners might have some advice for.

The first is Android auto. I realised (after I bought the phone) that apparently this is a known issue, that they don't play nicely together. There are articles online for things that might help but has anyone actually gotten it to work and if so, how? Is it worth the effort?

The second one concerns me a bit more. I like to have spare charging cables, not just the one it came with. All our other devices are older android micro usb connectors so apart from the cable that came with the phone the only other cable I have at the moment came with the car and the phone doesn't recognize it at all, doesn't register anything has been plugged into it. It's a 3-in-1 cable (has connectors for apple and micro & usb C) and the micro usb works fine so the cable works (although I don't have another device to test the type c with). Is there generally an issue with third party cables or is there one that should work??
    Thanks.

I regularly use android auto with my xiaomi and never had an issue at all. I use an anker cable I got from amazon some years ago. While before that I had a oneplus device which regularly gave me problems..

Wont be using the cables for much longer though if my wireless android auto dongle ever arrives :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tcif wrote: »
    It's a 3-in-1 cable (has connectors for apple and micro & usb C).

Bin that cable. USB-C is different in that theres componentry in the cable, bad cables are a problem and can cause real issues. That cable is an unknown quantity so I'd be binning it.

Get a cable from a decent brand, USB-C is the future so buy 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lots of great advice.
    I have same phone btw it is great got it when it was just released.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Thanks to everyone who replied and I'll be shopping for a new cable.

Think I've made some progress on the Android Auto issue (for anyone else who might come across this thread with a similar issue) by following the advice here https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/android-auto-wont-launch-poco-f2-pro-solution-here.56392/ and installing a patched version of AA. Haven't had much time to test it yet but at least now I can see my apps on the car display and at a quick run through they seem to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

celticsfan wrote: »
    I regularly use android auto with my xiaomi and never had an issue at all. I use an anker cable I got from amazon some years ago. While before that I had a oneplus device which regularly gave me problems..

Wont be using the cables for much longer though if my wireless android auto dongle ever arrives :pac:
    Can you explain more about the wireless android auto dongle and how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have the 9T and use all sorts of USB C cables without issue, including a 3-in-1 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

ralphie wrote: »
    Can you explain more about the wireless android auto dongle and how it works

Well,it was an indiegogo campaign called "aa wireless" which I backed at the tail end of last year but has been delayed with parts and covid.However the earliest backers have received theirs and mine is due to ship at the end of this month and i was far from one of the early backers..

Emil is the guy running the show and been dabbling in this kinda stuff for a long time now and some of the android forums etc...

I'll put the link in here,not sure if its against the rules so mods feel free to delete if necessary

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

Plenty of vids on youtube showing it in action etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

celticsfan wrote: »
    Well,it was an indiegogo campaign called "aa wireless" which I backed at the tail end of last year but has been delayed with parts and covid.However the earliest backers have received theirs and mine is due to ship at the end of this month and i was far from one of the early backers..

Emil is the guy running the show and been dabbling in this kinda stuff for a long time now and some of the android forums etc...

I'll put the link in here,not sure if its against the rules so mods feel free to delete if necessary

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

Plenty of vids on youtube showing it in action etc too

That's very interesting.Keep us updated on how you get on with it.

Advertisement