Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MS Outlook App not playing nice with Android 11

• 10-04-2021 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having a total mare after updating my OnePlus 7T Pro to Android 11.

The main issue I have relates to the MS Outlook app for Android. When I try to add my work email to the MS Outlook app and enter my email address, press continue a dialogue box opens for signing into a Google account asking for a password but it doesn't accept my work email password (which works if I'm logging into Office365 etc) as it's trying to find a Google account using my work email address which doesn't and won't ever exist!!

I'm completely dumbfounded.

I need MS Outlook on my phone as all my contacts are also in MS Outlook (not Google) so I need (and used to previously) have the phone and contacts app point at my work email as the source of contact info.

Right now I've a phone with no contacts and no work email

Help?

I'm pulling my hair out here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi all,

The main issue I have relates to the MS Outlook app for Android. When I try to add my work email to the MS Outlook app and enter my email address, press continue a dialogue box opens for signing into a Google account asking for a password but it doesn't accept my work email password (which works if I'm logging into Office365 etc) as it's trying to find a Google account using my work email address which doesn't and won't ever exist!!

I need MS Outlook on my phone as all my contacts are also in MS Outlook (not Google) so I need (and used to previously) have the phone and contacts app point at my work email as the source of contact info.

Help?

Have you removed the Outlook app and reinstalled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Help?

Is your work email a Microsoft 365 account or one that is running off an internal Exchange server?

If it is the second one, you will probably need tomanually need to configure the Exchange server details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

jamesd wrote: »
    Have you removed the Outlook app and reinstalled?

Yes, several times.

Is your work email a Microsoft 365 account or one that is running off an internal Exchange server?

If it is the second one, you will probably need tomanually need to configure the Exchange server details

It's Microsoft 365.

MS Support are on the case now and seem to think there are some Google DNS MX Records hanging around from before I switched to Microsoft 365 which are causing conflict.

I need to get these removed (from Blacknight for one Domain and Wix for the other) and once propagated try again.

Fingers crossed that's what it is.

Mental how inconvenient it is not being able to identify inbound calls or make outbound calls without remembering the persons number. Used to be able to do that back in the day but who dials numbers anymore????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Joekers

While on the topic of outlook, I find it absolutely brutal to use, have to use it for work mail but it's painful. Lagging when clicking into a mail, not loading properly or just crashing when clicking into a mail from notifications bar often have to close it down fully then reopen to get into the mail.

Also pinned mails from desktop don't show on mobile app.

Any good alternatives or suggestions that can be used with an outlook account ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The main issue I have relates to the MS Outlook app for Android. When I try to add my work email to the MS Outlook app and enter my email address, press continue a dialogue box opens for signing into a Google account asking for a password but it doesn't accept my work email password

That seems like initial set up of device to link it to a google account. Is there an option to skip that step?

Any mail client app should work, for example there's a Gmail app that works with any email account. Needs username, password and server addresses for in/out traffic. It doesn't need a gmail account and can accommodate a few email accounts in the same menu. There's other apps in play store but gmail app works fine.

The only potential catch is requirement for third party access to the server which may already be granted but some webmail services have third party access blocked by default, just need to log in to unblock it. Corporate accounts might be set up differently.

Server addresses...
    https://www.componentpro.com/blog/details/settings-outlook-365-imap-smtp-pop3-servers

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That seems like initial set up of device to link it to a google account. Is there an option to skip that step?

Thanks Ten Pin, there isn't an option to skip that step in set up.

It seems that the Outlook app is somehow connecting to old Google DNS MX records which triggers the set up of a "Google Account" for my work domains rather than the current and correct MX Records which are MS 365.

Hopefully a bit of tidying up of MX records at MS's direction will resolve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Had a similar issue trying to set up an account in Outlook. It was an IMAP account.

Turned out that the hosting company had some security that blocked IP addresses after multiple attempts to log in (which is what the server interpreted when I was trying to set up the account). They had to clear the blocks to allow me to continue the setup.

Have to agree that Outlook is shocking. I am using Android 10 but constantly getting messages that Outlook is draining the battery.

Had been using BlueMail which I found to be excellent but something happened with their setup and ended up changing to Outlook.

Might check out the Gmail app if it accepts other accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Might check out the Gmail app if it accepts other accounts.

It should work with any email account...Yahoo, outlook, hotmail etc...basically any mail account that's compatible with IMAP / POP3 etc. The 'Gmail' title is just branding to encourage use of google services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have to say I've had no issues with the Outlook app in all the years I've been using it. Its not even in the top 20 of battery use. That said I'm not a heavy user of email these days. Use teams more.
    That said on checking it, outlook is set to MIUI Battery saver. I've mine set to go quiet outside office hours. Maybe thats why.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    It should work with any email account...Yahoo, outlook, hotmail etc...basically any mail account that's compatible with IMAP / POP3 etc. The 'Gmail' title is just branding to encourage use of google services.

Thanks for this. MS Support got me to delete any Google related MX and TXT records from the respective domain hosting but still MS Outlook tries to open a Google Account when I go to set up my work email addresses.

Tried adding my work email addressed as MS365 options in both Gmail and BlueMail and both worked flawlessly including sync'ing calendar and contacts so am now set up accessing my MS365 work accounts using BlueMail with full calendar sync and phone contacts etc just not via MS Outlook which is bizarre!!

Feck it, I have the functionality I need back and there are some benefits as the calendar widget I'm using is actually better than the stock MS Outlook calendar widget so there's some silver lining.

Thanks all as ever for the feedback and suggestions.

Advertisement