Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MNP vs HLR

Options
  • 08-04-2021 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I was wondering if a difference between the MCCMNC values in the HLR and MNP for a mobile number would cause a number port to fail?

If I'm on Tesco Mobile and my number's HLR reflects that, but my number's MNP MCCMNC says I'm on with 3, is that a valid configuration given that Tesco is an MVNO that leases its coverage from 3, or should the MNP reflect the precise MCCMNC of that MVNO just like the MCCMNC in the HLR?

Apologies for the acronyms!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

magoo84 wrote: »
    I was wondering if a difference between the MCCMNC values in the HLR and MNP for a mobile number would cause a number port to fail?

If I'm on Tesco Mobile and my number's HLR reflects that, but my number's MNP MCCMNC says I'm on with 3, is that a valid configuration given that Tesco is an MVNO that leases its coverage from 3, or should the MNP reflect the precise MCCMNC of that MVNO just like the MCCMNC in the HLR?

Apologies for the acronyms!

Short answer is no, regardless of what HLR your registered on would a Port fail. reason is Ireland has it's own central MNP database which each Operator has access to and can query this to find your Current Operator, then if all the information is correct (if your Prepay or Postpay, account number etc) your port is accepted, anything wrong port is rejected.

This Database is connected into the fixed line operators too so that when a number changes networks they update their call routing accordingly, in fact a different identifier is used during the porting process and the same prefix is used for call routing, updating call routing and locating call routing faults, these are below

17680 - BT Ireland (A prefix is required for them to be part of the process)
    17681 - Virgin
    17682 - Carphone Mobile (Now defunkt)
    17683 - 3
    17684 - Tesco
    17685 - EIR
    17686 - Old O2 (Still 2 MNP Platforms in 3)
    17687 - Vodafone
    17688 - EIR Fixed (A prefix is required for them to be part of the process)

Regards the MCCMNC question, Tesco do have their own (27211) and HLR/MSC Global Title addresses to allow them operate seoarately to Three but these would be part of Three's core network as they are providing the infrastructure to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Short answer is no, regardless of what HLR your registered on would a Port fail. reason is Ireland has it's own central MNP database which each Operator has access to and can query this to find your Current Operator, then if all the information is correct (if your Prepay or Postpay, account number etc) your port is accepted, anything wrong port is rejected.

This Database is connected into the fixed line operators too so that when a number changes networks they update their call routing accordingly, in fact a different identifier is used during the porting process and the same prefix is used for call routing, updating call routing and locating call routing faults, these are below

17681 - Virgin
    17683 - 3
    17684 - Tesco
    17685 - EIR
    17687 - Vodafone

Regards the MCCMNC question, Tesco do have their own (27211) and HLR/MSC Global Title addresses to allow them operate seoarately to Three but these would be part of Three's core network as they are providing the infrastructure to them.

I would wonder the fact that “old 02” still being active in 3 be delaying the rollout of an IMS along with wifi calling and VoLTE.

Three UK have deployed these years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

17681 - Virgin
    17683 - 3
    17684 - Tesco
    17685 - EIR
    17687 - Vodafone

Thanks for that. Im trying to port from Tesco to Post Mobile and don't seem to be able to do it. I was thinking it might be because of this difference between the two values but from what you said, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

magoo84 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Im trying to port from Tesco to Post Mobile and don't seem to be able to do it. I was thinking it might be because of this difference between the two values but from what you said, it isn't.

Two skeleton crewed MVNOs, as a bodge you might be able to move over to an MNO for a week then move on to PM.

Advertisement