Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to hide my sky q but think my remote is infrared

• 09-04-2021 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I'm getting s TV unit built in and would like to hide the sky q box etc.
    My understanding is that if my remote is Bluetooth then no issues but I've tried covering it and nothing happens do I'm guessing it's not Bluetooth.

So my questions are,

How can I check for sure which remote I have?

Any other way to do it easily ?

Can I buy a Bluetooth remote or would I need a new sky q box too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

batman1 wrote: »
    My understanding is that if my remote is Bluetooth then no issues but I've tried covering it and nothing happens do I'm guessing it's not Bluetooth.

So my questions are,

isn't there a sky app? android or iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

isn't there a sky app? android or iphone

Years ago people used to sell "sky eyes", IR extenders. I've no idea if they are specific to a particular remote, but start by googling that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

batman1 wrote: »

So my questions are,

Use your phone's camera and look with it at the top of the remote as you press a button. You'll see the remote emit a light if it is infrared.

You can buy a 'magic eye' infra red extender and hide the box away, while still being able to use the remote. Would be a lot cheaper than a new box and remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭swoofer

I had a quick look and found this.

Sky Q Touch Remote - Bluetooth Remote
    The Sky remote has also received an upgrade with Sky Q, with the addition of the Sky Q Touch remote which works over Bluetooth. If you’re not already familiar with Bluetooth technology, it operates using radio-frequency (RF) rather than infra-red (IR). This can be advantageous as the remote does not need to be pointed at the equipment for it to work, you just need to be within the wireless signal range of the remote control. This is ideal when you wish to hide the AV equipment and still control it as the box could be tucked away within a cupboard or something similar and there will be no need to open the doors to control the equipment or install infra-red emitters/ remote eyes. It also has a rather handy find-my-remote feature where the remote will emit an audible tone for you to be able to find the thing which are forever getting lost.

have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

I think this is a different sky q box

• Advertisement

If I buy a new remote, how can I find out if it will work with my box beforehand? There's not much help to be found

Did you remove the batteries? Look underneath sky q box. How long have you had it? You need things like model number etc. I dont have sky q but usually under settings you find a heading details and that may give model as well. Once you know that rest is easy.

Ok. It's a 32C006. Sky q 1TB.
    The remote is not Bluetooth, just the basic one.

This is the spec for your box and it does say it supports bluetooth.

http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/manuals/fact_sheet_skyq_1tb%20UHD_box.pdf

this is how I found the spec.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/check-which-sky-q-box

Sky may send you a bluetoorh remote but... charge you, say you lost yours!!

But if you have a good tv upgrade to HDR version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

swoofer wrote: »
    This is the spec for your box and it does say it supports bluetooth.

http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/manuals/fact_sheet_skyq_1tb%20UHD_box.pdf

this is how I found the spec.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/check-which-sky-q-box

Sky may send you a bluetoorh remote but... charge you, say you lost yours!!

But if you have a good tv upgrade to HDR version.

Watch the My Sky app - they offered me a free voice remote a while back (the newish version with the blue voice button on the front).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I live in a very large 5 bedroom house and a few months ago I tested the Sky Q remote and it worked all over the house for the Q box that was his away in the downstairs sitting room. I have the sky smartphone app too but prefer using the remote

Advertisement