Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three 5G

Options
  • 07-04-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in East Cork and recently got a 5G phone.

5G is widespread in my town but looking at the numbers they are basically the same as 4G+.

I’ve ran a number of tests from different locations in the town and on each occasion the speed tests are nearly exactly the same (sometimes I notice a lower upload speed).

Checking the cell info I see the same Band 20 (800 Mhz) being used for both connections and even the same cell ids.

Is this some cheap (arguably sneaky) way of introducing 5G to the masses, without actually adding new hardware, or is this typical behaviour on a new 5G deployment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Threes 5G is real 5G, not like the US telcos. You're seeing the same Cell IDs as 5G in Ireland is NSA so its still using the 4G radio to send data, just receiving on 5G links.

With LTEA (4G+) you can use so much spectrum as is 5G isnt that much of an improvement unless you're directly under a super site. 300Mb + on 4G so who cares.

Advertisement