Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headband cracking.

Options
  • 24-02-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I have a of Sephia SX-16.

The headband has started to crack. It is my second pair - the seller sent me a replacement and the band cracked in exactly the same place on the first ones

I don’t know they are cracking because they are cheap or if I have done it to them.

They have great sound so I would rather keep them than go buying another brand.

Does anyone know how I reinforce the plastic of the band to stop it cracking more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

There may just be an inherent design flaw (my own Stax require cable replacement on the left every 2 years or so because of a flaw in that revision). Examine your own habits (below) aswell but there may not be a good solution to the problem. That said for bracing there's not much you can do beyond good duct tape, whether that can be done comfortably without destroying aesthetics is another question, depends on the position of the crack. You might get away with tightly bracing some soft-side velcro (industrial strength, yes it exists :) ), positioned to pull against the pressure point.

Do you keep them on a headphone stand? If so do you notice any droop or other obvious pressure points - compensate with soft material where you see this so that pressure is equal across the band. Cloth or the soft side of velcro are easy options.
    Check the fit while you're wearing them for similar, keep the cans and band positioned for the closest to equal pressure on your head.

Monitor your own handling behaviour - do you put them on/take them off a lot, how do you handle them when you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They are very cheap so that’s probably the issue? Or else is your head massive??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    There may just be an inherent design flaw (my own Stax require cable replacement on the left every 2 years or so because of a flaw in that revision). Examine your own habits (below) aswell but there may not be a good solution to the problem. That said for bracing there's not much you can do beyond good duct tape, whether that can be done comfortably without destroying aesthetics is another question, depends on the position of the crack. You might get away with tightly bracing some soft-side velcro (industrial strength, yes it exists :) ), positioned to pull against the pressure point.

Do you keep them on a headphone stand? If so do you notice any droop or other obvious pressure points - compensate with soft material where you see this so that pressure is equal across the band. Cloth or the soft side of velcro are easy options.
    Check the fit while you're wearing them for similar, keep the cans and band positioned for the closest to equal pressure on your head.

Monitor your own handling behaviour - do you put them on/take them off a lot, how do you handle them when you do?

Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn’t see any alert that someone had posted here.

I originally thought that since they crack in the same place that it must be the quality of the material but I have wondered too if it was something to do with how I put them on or take them off. That could be the reason the crack appears in the same place.

I have been careful but haven’t noticed anything I do that could be the cause. However I’m not able to think of being careful or paying attention every singe time.

And just today both Sephia headphones have stopped charging. The charging ports are okay and the charger works so it could be the two cables but I only have have those two.

MadYaker wrote: »
    They are very cheap so that’s probably the issue? Or else is your head massive??

I definitely don’t have a massive head.

It is not of unusual size at all.

:)

I contacted Sephia through Amazon about the charging problem.

I was hoping just for some advice on what might be the cause but I got message back just now that will send a replacement. I wasn’t expecting that because it has been over a year since I got the last one and they are out of stock on Amazon.

And of course as soon as I get that message I try charging again a lo and behold one of the headphones is charging now.

:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement