Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding 2nd router to Eir Fibre broadband

Options
  • 09-02-2021 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi

I have Eir Fibre box 1A 1.0 at front of the house but having wifi issues out in the shed. Im going to run a Cat 5 cable out to shed from the router. I have a 2nd router (TP Link) that i want to put out there. What is the best solution to this? Can i just plug the 2 routers into the LAN ports and turn on the bridge option on the Eir router? Would this keep the wifi on in the rest of the house aswell as the shed or does bridge mode disconnect wifi from Eir router? Or would i need to change settings and IP address and disable DHCP on new router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Yes, I believe bridge mode on your eir router/gateway would disable any WiFi and hand off DHCP to the tplink router.

You basically have 2 options. The simplest being connect the ethernet cable into the wan port of the tplink and create a separate access point like(ShedWifi). The downside being you won't be able to communicate with devices on the eir network.

The other option is as you suggest disable dhcp/nat/firewall on tplink. Set wifi ssid/password the same as eir router and your devices should seamlessly change between the access points.

I use the second option myself with a netgear router that I flashed with ddwrt. Gives new life to older devices.

You can check if your tplink router is compatible here https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/

I followed these instructions to setup my access point: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

Advertisement