Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 month old constantly waking

Options
  • 01-01-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Looking for any advice. Our 7 month old waking a lot after being out down.. sometimes every hour. Sometimes it's just to put soother back , others it's longer. They haven't slept through ever but had being doing longer stretches. Any advice? Routine is good, three naps and put them to bed earlier if last nap doesn't happen. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

What’s the map time in total?
    I’d be aiming for 2hrs absolute max over 2 naps, no sleep past 2 o clock. In bed for the night by 7.

Has worked for the both of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Probably 2 hours in total. Maybe 2.5 but that would be stretching it. Tbh I thought that that wasn't enough daytime sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Depends on the baby. Our worst nights were always when they were overtired and 2hrs a day wouldn’t cut it. My 2 year old still does 1-1.5 a day. If they are exhausted at bedtime then it’s probably not enough and I’d look at that first, pull back bedtime earlier for example.

I’m assuming there’s a clear bedtime routine in place? Even at that age we had a routine including story etc that differed from nap times.

For us as well our first nap was insanely early for one of ours, he just wasn’t able to be up longer than 2hrs before he keeled over. Even when he dropped a nap he kept that one and lost the afternoon one. If that morning nap wasn’t correct then his sleep the following night was diabolical

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

My baby was very similar at that age. The sleep definitely settles down. He's 13 months now and sleeps through the night. I might have to go in once to give him another soother. He went through a phase of throwing the soother away multiple times during the night but it was just a phase. And he was breastfed and fed every two to three hours for a long time throughout the night. It definitely all settles down, hang in there! No major tips to be honest. Keep going with the naps. I think routine and making sure they're not overtired helps. My guy was having 2 or 3 naps a nap at that age, totalling about 2.5 or 3 hours per day. Every baby's nap needs are different though.

Thanks folks. Will hang in there.... As tricky and all as that is :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Look up the wonder weeks app great for things like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

How have they taken to solid foods?

Are they eating enough to help them sleep through the night?

Yeah, eating loads so I know it's not hunger. It has improved a bit over the last few nights , just keeping the coffee on hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah, eating loads so I know it's not hunger. It has improved a bit over the last few nights , just keeping the coffee on hand :)

Ah well that's good at least you know then not hungry or anything so no need to give a bottle etc.

Hopefully just a phrase, I would try and reduce it to 2 naps and see does it help in anyway.

Just to say I had baby with reflux that never sleep more than an hour or two max day or night for mths. He is four now + brilliant sleeper so hopefully it will all come good for you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

My 7/8 month old went through this recently and I THINK we're seeing the light at end of tunnel now. I ended up changing her routine and cutting the 3rd nap, I've been trying to get bedtime earlier ( still a work in progress but 8/8.15 is better than 10pm) and its really made difference.
    We ended up dropping a bottle cos it was interfering with nap time and routine and she generally only drank morn n evening bottle n played round with 2 afternoon ones. I try give her something to eat before bed and so far so good

I do think its also a phase and hopefully your baby goes through it quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

There is a developmental leap around the 7/8month mark. It makes the sleep awful for a few weeks. Night waking is rarely hunger at that age. The leaps last 2 weeks or so. Persevere and try to get some rest yourself during the day as it's tough going. I did just give extra boob but this was a soothing mechanism not because I believed it was hunger or thirst.

Ours did move from 3 to 2 naps at around that age too, but this happened more because each map was gradually getting later and there was no time left for nap 3.

This too shall pass x

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    What’s the map time in total?
    I’d be aiming for 2hrs absolute max over 2 naps, no sleep past 2 o clock. In bed for the night by 7.

Has worked for the both of mine

This sounds very strange - if ours wakes prior to 3 then he can't even hold off till 7......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    This sounds very strange - if ours wakes prior to 3 then he can't even hold off till 7......

If either of mine sleep even close to 3 then they won’t sleep at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Our 9 month old only has a 40 minute nap once at 1pm and sleeps 6:30pm to 6:30am. They wake for a feed and sleep again until 8ish. I suppose they're all different, and maybe falling back to sleep at 6:45am is a bit like a nap.

Advertisement