Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dratsab.live

I've trawled through pages of posts and decided to just ask.

I am applying for the BTEA, have the forms but was told not to apply till Aug/Sept.

So, do I still apply for the Cost of Education (I've heard thats 500euro), AND
    the Student Registration/Service Charge, (which I believe is 1500euro)???

Where do I apply to for these 2 payments and is the Student Service Charge paid directly to the college or do I have to pay it and be re-imbursed.

Sorry for all the questions I'm even confusing myself!!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hi dratsab, if its ur first time applyin for the BTEA u will have to wait till august to apply. U will then be given the 500euro in 1 of ur BETA payments which is paid weekly to ur bank account. I didnt get my 500 until November last year so dont be depending on gettin it straight away. If u have applied for the council grant(this is the grant that pays ur fees) u wont have to pay the 1500euro. If u have anymore questions, ask and if can answer them, i will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dratsab.live

Thanks Andrew,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Thats a great summary DITMATURE, thanks.

Hope this is not too thick a question. I qualified for a full grant starting college last year. Do I need to reapply all over again going into 2nd year or does my county council just assume I'm into second year and continue to pay me (very unlikely I guess :)). I have gone through student finance.ie and council website and all the info is about applying for the first time.

Any wise words much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi Cpt Beefheart,

Your council will require you to prove that you are advancing through the programme and onto the 2nd year. Some councils send out a renewal form, others don't. Typically a copy of your exam results from 1st year is sufficient proof. I'd give them a call and see what they need and when they need it.

I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later, as while the councils give preference to grant renewals, they're going to start to get snowed under with applications in the coming months.

Bob :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So I've got some questions on my mind that need answering and dont know where else to get the information, wondering if anyone here can help out:

I've applied for uni this Sept and will find out next month if I got a place, if I did then I understand that I would need to pay the registration and student services charges myself, but there is a way of getting a reimbursement I hear?

I should be eligible for BTEA, having just finished a lvl6 PLC course and my potential degree is a lvl8, so even though I was getting a grant+BTEA last term I no longer will as it'll be a new application...but how does the whole "free fees" scheme work out? Will they know I am eligible or will I have to contact someone about it? (1st time undergrad students get free fees am I right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 12bizzle

Dropped out of college for the first year of a hc programme in business took a year out and reapplying this year for a new different course in a different college through the cao im i still entitled to a maintenance grant should i apply???

Hi Master of Nothing, 12bizzle,

To answer your questions in short...

Master of Nothing: you'll most likely be given a questionnaire upon registration that asks you about previous study, residency and nationality, The answers that you give should determine whether you are allocated free fees or not. (that's how DIT does it, different Unis might have different procedures).

If you're eligible for the BTEA, you should still apply for the student grant to pay your registration fees - more info below.

12bizzle: That depends entirely on what stage of the year you dropped out at. Again, different colleges have different policies, but for DIT it's:

- If you deferred/withdrew before the 31st October 2009, you will be entitled to Free Fees for next year and a grant.

- If you deferred/withdrew between the 1st of November 2009 and the 31st January 2010, you will be liable for half tuition fees for next year (but free fees for the rest of the duration of the programme), and may not get a grant for the first year of the programme. You will be eligible for a grant for the remainder of your studies however.

- If you deferred/withdrew after the 1st February 2010, you will be liable for full tuition fees for next year (but free fees for the rest of the duration of the programme), and will not get a grant for the first year of the programme. You will be eligible for a grant for the remainder of your studies however.

- Important: If you deferred/withdrew at any point during the year for serious certified medical reasons, you may be eligible for Free Fees and a grant for next year. You will need written confirmation that you deferred for medical reasons and copies of doctors/consultants reports etc.

Info on BTEA/Student Grant & Valuable Links:

Note: all of the below information (especially the fees info) refers to DIT. Different colleges have different policies, so it's best to check with your own college about fees etc. The info about the BTEA and Grants is the same however.

Funding:

Typically, the fees payable to DIT (or any other college) are broken into Tuition Fees and Registration Fees (also known as Capitation Fees / Student Services Charge).

In 2009/10 those fees for programmes in DIT were:

- Tuition: between €1,368 and €2,950 depending on the programme

You may be entitled to Free Tuition Fees (this does not include the €1500 registration fee). There's more information (you can get a good idea of whether you qualify or not) available here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/feespolicy/

If you do not qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you may be entitled to claim tax relief on the tuition fees that you have to pay. There's more details, the amount of tuition payable for each programme and downloadable application forms here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/taxrelief/

Student Maintenance Grants: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/

The Student Grant is the main source of financial help available from the Irish State for students in full time higher education undergraduate or postgraduate courses. For eligible students taking approved courses at DIT, the grant is there to help with the various costs of participating in higher education. Unfortunately, students on part time courses, courses of less than two years’ duration, access or foundation courses are not eligible to apply for the grant.

For Mature Students, you may be assessed as either an Independent Mature Student or a Dependent Mature Student. This depends on whether you were resident in your parents’ home or outside of it on the cut-off date. For courses starting in September 2010, the cut-off date is the 1st of October 2009. You may be asked to provide proof of residence if you are applying as an Independent Mature Student (e.g. a utility bill), otherwise you may be considered a Dependent Mature Student.

The grant is means-tested; i.e. your eligibility depends on your (or your parents’) level of income. Independent Mature Students are assessed on their own income (and that of their partner/spouse), whereas Dependent Mature Students are assessed on their income combined with their parents’ income. For courses starting in September 2010, you will be assessed on your/your parents’ income for the Tax Year Ended December 31st 2009. If you are living with your domestic partner and declare this on your application form, his/her income will also be taken into account, regardless of whether you are married or not. If you were not resident in Ireland at the cut off date, this can have an effect on your grant eligibility. See the DIT website pages on grants (above) for more details.

Students who already hold a 3rd Level Qualification are not eligible to apply for the grant to study a second equivalent qualification. However, students pursuing a course that represents progression may be eligible. For example, if you hold a Level 6 (Certificate) Qualification and wish to continue your studies to pursue a Level 7 (Diploma/Ordinary Level Degree) or Level 8 (Honours Degree) Qualification. You should check with your Local Authority to be sure. In all cases, the official decision on eligibility is made by the grant-awarding bodies.

If you think you are eligible, you should apply for your grant as soon as your Local Authority opens its application process, usually around June. You do not have to wait until you have been offered a place in DIT. The closing date for applications is usually around the end of August, but most authorities will accept late applications in exceptional circumstances.
    Important: The National Budget of December 2009 announced that from 2010/11 onwards, students in receipt of the Back To Education Allowance (BTEA) are not entitled to apply for a Student Maintenance Grant. This will affect new applicants only. Students currently receiving both are entitled to continue doing so.

Important: We have been advised that students in receipt of the BTEA should apply to their Local Authority for a Student Grant to pay their Registration Fees. Such students will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the grant payment.

The Back To Education Allowance:
    http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/btea/

The Back To Education Allowance or BTEA can be paid to those who have been in receipt of social welfare payments and wish to return to full time education. Typically a claimant would have to be in receipt of social welfare payments for 12 consecutive months or more prior to returning to college, but there can be exceptions to this rule, usually in cases involving statutory redundancy (where you had been employed by the same employer for two years or more). The Emergency Budget of April 2009 reduced this restriction to 9 months for applicants who have been recommended by a Jobs Facilitator. If you are in doubt, you should contact your local Social Welfare Office.

The BTEA is not an unemployment payment. Participants get a standard rate of payment which is not means tested.

If you already hold a third level undergraduate qualification, you can only apply for the BTEA to study an equivalent undergraduate course in exceptional circumstances.

However, if you hold (e.g.) a Level 7 (Diploma or Ordinary Level Degree) qualification and wish to pursue a higher qualification, e.g. a Level 8 (Honours Degree) program, you may qualify. You should contact your local Social Welfare Office to see if you are eligible.

The postgraduate option of the BTEA is only available for Higher Diplomas (in any discipline) or Postgraduate Diploma courses leading to a qualification in education (i.e. teaching, either primary or post-primary). DIT does not currently offer postgraduate courses of this nature. You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

You cannot apply for the BTEA until you have first been accepted onto a course in DIT. Once you have been accepted onto a course, you should notify your local Social Welfare Office by filling out the BTEA Application Form BTE1. You may also qualify for an annual allowance towards the cost of your studies as well as your weekly payment. This is the Cost of Education Allowance, is paid at the start of each academic year and is currently €500.

You may keep any secondary benefits you already have such as Christmas Bonus, Fuel Allowance, Diet Supplement, Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement under the Supplementary Allowance Scheme. Note: Any increase in income may affect your Rent or Mortgage Interest Supplement.

The National Budget of December 2009 announced that from 2010/11 onwards, students in receipt of the BTEA are not entitled to apply for a Student Maintenance Grant.
    This will affect new applicants only. Students currently receiving both are entitled to continue doing so. Any fees payable to DIT (such as registration fees) will be paid on behalf of the student by the exchequer.

Important: We have been advised that students in receipt of the BTEA should apply to their Local Authority for a Student Grant to pay their Registration Fees. Such students will not be eligible for the maintenance portion of the grant payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Awesome amount of information from you there ditmature, thank you:)

Looking at the free tuition fees requirements on the webpage you linked, I would have no problem there. As for registration fees, well I'll apply for the grant as suggested and see if those can be paid, although I do have money set aside incase I needed to pay them myself anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone can help me out. I don't come from Ireland but have been living here and working full-time for the last 7 years. I have applied for a Nursing degree course at UCD, TCD and DCU but my chances of getting in are slim with the amount of competition.

I am applying for a grant in case I do get in. I have also been offered a 1 year full-time course in Dundrum College of Further education. If I go down this route I don't think I can apply for a grant - is this right? And if it is what else can I do for cash? Its a full-time course and pretty full on so I don't know if I will be able to work that much?

Any help will be appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭ciaracp

Ditmature and Larianne, thank you both so much for all the information across the boards! Very much appreciated! :)

Well like most of you the financial situation is the limiting factor for me. I have been told that I qualify for the Back to Education Allowance so thats a plus! However, I started a degree in 05 (General Nursing DCU) but due to illness had to drop out in January/February 07 and this leaves me with very few options.
    I've been told that I will more than likely have to pay registration and tuition fees for the 3 years of my new course. Basically this means that I probably won't be taking the place offered (Law-Carlow) as I won't be able to afford 15,000+...my only option now appears to try even harder to get a job (if that's possible to someone who is "underqualified") and wait for 2 more years to reapply...

Just wondering if anyone is/has been in this position? It all seems to complicated! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aureliousm1

Hi all,
    just wanted to thank all of you for the information...I believe I am now going to be a mature student, will not forget what you have all done here and if I have any info will post as soon as!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

hi there . i was just wondering if someone could help me with this question regarding the grant application form. when they say you need to provide proof of living independantly, ie bill or bank statement dating back to october 2009, is this all your actual bank statments from oct 2009 up until now, or just one statment from october 2009. i went into the bank today to ask could they backdate my statements to then,he said he could but it would cost 2.50 euro a sheet,so i know that is going to add up to a lot.
    just not sure if it is necassary or not. he gave me a certificate of interest statement dating from oct 2009 up until now,but not sure if that will be enough or not. sorry if this makes no sense, i rang the vec earlier and they were so unhelpful,i felt like i couldnt ask them all the things i needed to.
    thanks amy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

amy85 wrote: »
    hi there . i was just wondering if someone could help me with this question regarding the grant application form. when they say you need to provide proof of living independantly, ie bill or bank statement dating back to october 2009, is this all your actual bank statments from oct 2009 up until now, or just one statment from october 2009. i went into the bank today to ask could they backdate my statements to then,he said he could but it would cost 2.50 euro a sheet,so i know that is going to add up to a lot.
    just not sure if it is necassary or not. he gave me a certificate of interest statement dating from oct 2009 up until now,but not sure if that will be enough or not. sorry if this makes no sense, i rang the vec earlier and they were so unhelpful,i felt like i couldnt ask them all the things i needed to.
    thanks amy

It just needs to be dated for October 2009 as far as I know.

As far as I am aware a bank statement is not sufficiemt they want a utility bill such as esb or gas or social welfare letter, also your p21 etc should be of the same address,

are you serious? i definelty wont be able to get a utility bill anyways. im living in my boyfriends apt and all the bills are in his name. never been on social welfare. i have ordered my p21 anyways and its coming to the same address. what really annoys me is i rang up the vec to ask them all these questions and she was so unhelpful and rude,just wanted to get me off the phone as quick as she could. so im none the wiser as to what is sufficient and whats not. it really would put you off applying for it,its more hassle than its worth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

I have been doing a level 6 course and on the BTEA and would like to go on to do the degree but cant this year. so anyone know if you could take a year out and still get the BTEA if you go back the following year.

thankis

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

Hey, DIT mature. I've got an offer for DIT for september. I'm unemployed/fas course for the last year(checked the FAS course and it doesnt prevent me from getting this) so I'm entitled to the BTEA. I'm def. going to accept the offer. The only problem is I started a lvl 6 degree in sept 2005 but dropped out before jan 06. Unfortunetley when I did drop out I just stopped going and didn't let admin know. I'm going to find out this wk if they struck me from the list at that time. Just wondering since I've being to college before how this will effect me, I think I'm still entitled to the BTEA, but for everything else? Will there be big fees for me now? I'm sure your sick of these questions and I hate to be annoying you but it's hard to get answers.. thanks for all your help. Daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lettisb

Im having difficulty in proving my residency as an independent candidate for October 2008.
    Rules seem to specify that a utility bill is required. Not possible in my case as I was never the "lead" tennent.
    Does anyone know what else would fulfill the requirements.
    Also there is a reference to the possibility that the VEC can waive this requirement in "exceptional circumstances". Anyone got any thoughts on what these circumstances might be.
    Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    Lettisb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

lettisb wrote: »
    Im having difficulty in proving my residency as an independent candidate for October 2008.
    Rules seem to specify that a utility bill is required. Not possible in my case as I was never the "lead" tennent.
    Does anyone know what else would fulfill the requirements.
    Also there is a reference to the possibility that the VEC can waive this requirement in "exceptional circumstances". Anyone got any thoughts on what these circumstances might be.
    Thanks in anticipation of your help.
    Lettisb.

Im having the exact same issues my self :rolleyes:.... its difficult to prove even tho i have lived in the country for 3 years... since i last traveled...

Im just getting a person who i lived with for a year to sign a letter i'l write stating I was living in the house.. I think I've never seen so much papper work and to make matters worse, I'm moving soon hopefully which is a good thing.. but proves ;like it'le make my life more difficult with the grant

Im having the exact same issues my self :rolleyes:.... its difficult to prove even tho i have lived in the country for 3 years... since i last traveled...

Im just getting a person who i lived with for a year to sign a letter i'l write stating I was living in the house.. I think I've never seen so much papper work and to make matters worse, I'm moving soon hopefully which is a good thing.. but proves ;like it'le make my life more difficult with the grant

im also havin these problems aswell. where i rent,the landlord lives there aswell so all the bills are in his name. he is not registered either as he is living on the premises. i rang vec to see if he could provide a statement saying that i rented there,they said no. am trying to get a bank statment from last year and that is even proving hard to do. dont even think its gonna be enough either. its very annoying so it is. i really would like to know what these exceptional circumstamces as are aswell!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just to clear up the proof of Independence and residency for 3 of the last 5 years...

The following is taken directly from the 2010 Grant Application Form Accompanying Notes:

Documentary evidence for an independent mature candidate:

Documentary evidence is required of your home/ordinary address from the 1st October of the year preceding your entry or re-entry to an approved course. For example, if you are entering an approved course for the first time or re-entering in the academic year 2010/11, you will need to provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2009. Generally this would include:

- utility bills, such as telephone, gas or electricity;
    - registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board;
    - documentation received, for example, bank statement or correspondence from a government department.

If you have been resident in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 of the 5 years immediately before the date on which you start a year of study in your course, you must send us evidence of your residency.

This may be one or more of the following:

- evidence that you sat the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate exams in Ireland, or equivalent school exams in the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    - a letter from a school principal in Ireland, the EU, EEA or Switzerland confirming your attendance at a school;
    - social welfare statements or equivalents from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    - utility bills;
    - registration with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB), or equivalent from the EU, EEA or Switzerland;
    - if you are a non-EEA national, a letter from the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform confirming the period of your lawful presence in Ireland. We cannot consider periods of unlawful presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 baddler

hi all, another query about grants and the likes.

So my backstory may (or may not!) be a bit of an odd one.
    I've been given redundancy from my company which involves a payoff, was told of this in April so decided to apply last minute for the general science course in DCU on the mature student late application deadline in May - now i didn't think too much about it since as I was really just chancing my arm by applying late but it looks like i've been accepted today so the reality of the situation is now dawning on me!

I am now wondering whether i am eligible for any kind of grant given that I have a undergraduate degree already, I have been in employment for the last 4 years and I was given a payoff by the job.

Now I know that I am in a lot better situation than most going back to college these days and I have earmarked the payoff to cover most of the college fees but I am wondering now whether I would be eligible for some kind of maintenance grant over the 4 years? I have had a quick look through the student finance website but couldn't really find anything that is relevant to my particular situation so if anyone could give any sort of advice on this one that would be much appreciated.

Obviously, as i say, given my history I am not expecting to be eligible for much but every little helps! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

baddler wrote: »
    hi all, another query about grants and the likes.

So my backstory may (or may not!) be a bit of an odd one.
    I've been given redundancy from my company which involves a payoff, was told of this in April so decided to apply last minute for the general science course in DCU on the mature student late application deadline in May - now i didn't think too much about it since as I was really just chancing my arm by applying late but it looks like i've been accepted today so the reality of the situation is now dawning on me!

I am now wondering whether i am eligible for any kind of grant given that I have a undergraduate degree already, I have been in employment for the last 4 years and I was given a payoff by the job.

Now I know that I am in a lot better situation than most going back to college these days and I have earmarked the payoff to cover most of the college fees but I am wondering now whether I would be eligible for some kind of maintenance grant over the 4 years? I have had a quick look through the student finance website but couldn't really find anything that is relevant to my particular situation so if anyone could give any sort of advice on this one that would be much appreciated.

Obviously, as i say, given my history I am not expecting to be eligible for much but every little helps! :)

Did you get a grant already? - I would say the best things is apply for the grant anyway - also even if you don't get it you can get 20% refund from the revenue commissioners on tuition fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

nope haven't received any grant. as I say I haven't done a huge amount of research into it yet as I wasn't expecting to get accepted plus the fact i'm being given a payoff. Also I'm not sure if the fact that I've been in full time employment for the past 4 years (finishing in September this year) will count for or against me.

I've downloaded the form for the grant though and it seems straightforward enough so i'll throw that in!

also this 20% refund from revenue is a new one to me, where could i find more about that?

Thanks

baddler wrote: »
    nope haven't received any grant. as I say I haven't done a huge amount of research into it yet as I wasn't expecting to get accepted plus the fact i'm being given a payoff. Also I'm not sure if the fact that I've been in full time employment for the past 4 years (finishing in September this year) will count for or against me.

I've downloaded the form for the grant though and it seems straightforward enough so i'll throw that in!

also this 20% refund from revenue is a new one to me, where could i find more about that?

Thanks

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »

cheers, that'd be quite handy little refund alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Just a little note for anyone that was working /made redundant this year

you can claim tax back for this year , as long as you are on social welfare
    may not be much depends on how much you worked

. you need your p45 and fill up a yellow form in your local tax/REVENUE office ((not the motor tax ))

they did it for me and was very quick .. was left go in march and got a lump sum back , very happy as will help to pay sum registation fee anyway

this might help some maturies going back in september

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

Hi, I am hoping some of you might have some advice for me. I have been refused the grant because I have not been resident in the country for more than 3 years out of the previous 5 years (this new rule only came into effect in June 2010 so I'm sure alot of people are not aware of this).

I would understand if I were a foreigner having to be resident in the country for a number of years before applying, but I am Irish, I decided to go backpacking through Asia and Australia a few years back, i'm only home 2 years and 9 months, but becuase I'm not home 3 years or more i'm not entitled to anything, not even to have my fee's covered, nothing. Does anyone know of any other organisations that cover fee's.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Capricorn1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am hoping some of you might have some advice for me. I have been refused the grant because I have not been resident in the country for more than 3 years out of the previous 5 years (this new rule only came into effect in June 2010 so I'm sure alot of people are not aware of this).

I would understand if I were a foreigner having to be resident in the country for a number of years before applying, but I am Irish, I decided to go backpacking through Asia and Australia a few years back, i'm only home 2 years and 9 months, but becuase I'm not home 3 years or more i'm not entitled to anything, not even to have my fee's covered, nothing. Does anyone know of any other organisations that cover fee's.

Thanks

Was it definitely just Australia and Asia? Anywhere in the EU?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Hi Iv applied for a PLC course as a mature student, Im not sure about grants etc is this the right form I fill out for the grant ? http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1273247091/DES_Student_Grant_Application_Form_final_for_web_06May10.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

threein99 wrote: »
    Hi Iv applied for a PLC course as a mature student, Im not sure about grants etc is this the right form I fill out for the grant ? http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1273247091/DES_Student_Grant_Application_Form_final_for_web_06May10.pdf

Thats the one? Did you apply for BTEA

Thats the one? Did you apply for BTEA

I was just looking at that there now, its says on the citizens information site that From September 2010, you will not get the Back to Education Allowance and student maintenance grant, if you:
    Have been getting BTEA and are moving or progressing to a new course
    Are a new BTEA applicant.

I presume thats cut backs so you cant claim both.

I was just looking at that there now, its says on the citizens information site that From September 2010, you will not get the Back to Education Allowance and student maintenance grant, if you:
    Have been getting BTEA and are moving or progressing to a new course
    Are a new BTEA applicant.

I presume thats cut backs so you cant claim both.

The Btea is probably worth more, but the grant form must also be completed in order to gain registration fees. You have to be on a social welfare payment for a minimum of 9 months in order to meet the qualifying conditions for BTEA.

The Btea is probably worth more, but the grant form must also be completed in order to gain registration fees. You have to be on a social welfare payment for a minimum of 9 months in order to meet the qualifying conditions for BTEA.

I was just reading that bit about BTEA, I have been on social welfare for longer than 9 months, does that mean I should go for BTEA ? its pretty confusing :confused:

I was just reading that bit about BTEA, I have been on social welfare for longer than 9 months, does that mean I should go for BTEA ? its pretty confusing :confused:

I think you need to be over 23 also, and not to have a similar or higher qualification already, the course must be full time.
    It seems you should apply, you can download the BTEA from from the social welfare site, complete it and return it to your local social welfare office, together with a copy of your college offer.
    The grant application form and all the required documents must be returned to your local VEC. I think time is running out so ASAP.

I think you need to be over 23 also, and not to have a similar or higher qualification already, the course must be full time.
    It seems you should apply, you can download the BTEA from from the social welfare site, complete it and return it to your local social welfare office, together with a copy of your college offer.
    The grant application form and all the required documents must be returned to your local VEC. I think time is running out so ASAP.

So your saying I should apply for both BTEA and the maintainence grant ? The maintainance grant deadline is the 31st of August, I only had my interview today for my course and I wont know whether iv gotten in or not for 7-10 days

So your saying I should apply for both BTEA and the maintainence grant ? The maintainance grant deadline is the 31st of August, I only had my interview today for my course and I wont know whether iv gotten in or not for 7-10 days

Apply anyway for both. this may help

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

Yea I think I will apply for both, cheers for clearing it up to some extent anyway :P

Yea I think I will apply for both, cheers for clearing it up to some extent anyway :P

Which course are you hoping to get?

• Advertisement

Which course are you hoping to get?

Its an I.T plc course.

Its an I.T plc course.

A good basis for going on to University. All the best

A good basis for going on to University. All the best

Yea thats the plan anyways,cheers.

Was it definitely just Australia and Asia? Anywhere in the EU?

Hi Johnny

Yes it was only Australia and Asia

Capricorn1 wrote: »

Thanks

Possible sources of financial assistance

Vincent dePaul
    Student Assistance Fund (enquire in the college)
    Local Partnership Organisation - e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership
    Credit Union Loan

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

Thanks for info:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 William Browne

This is a very good thread. I was wondering if i could get some advice.

Hi. I'm thinking of applying to a university course as a mature student. The course i'm interested in is Physical Education. Disappointingly, i never managed to get the points needed in my leaving cert so the only option i have is to wait to apply as a mature student.
    Thankfully i didn't waste my time after the leaving cert. I qualified as an I.T.E.C level one fitness instructor, and i'm also qualified to teach martial arts. I spent the last few years teaching martial arts and fitness classes in a center not far from the city. I also currently teach gymnastics in 2 different primary schools and will be teaching in a geal scoil starting January. I also have previously thought transition years boxercise in two different schools and i have another transition year class lined up for later in the year.
    As you can see i have the experience and i am motivated to do this course but disappointingly i just found out that to qualify as a mature student, i need to be 23 on or before January 1st of the year i wish to start college, which for me i was hoping to start in september 2011. Unfortunately I will be turning 23 on January 13th coming, which makes me 13 days too young :(.

There's an opening day wednesday week for mature students and i was thinking of going to it to find out more information but i don't know if I'll get anywhere with it?

Those anybody know if there's anyway around this or will i just have to wait another year to apply? :(

Possible sources of financial assistance

Vincent dePaul
    Student Assistance Fund (enquire in the college)
    Local Partnership Organisation - e.g. Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership
    Credit Union Loan

I would like to say thank you for informing me about the Vincent dePaul, I contacted them and they agreed to pay my registration (1500 euro) I would never have been able to pay it without getting myself into a debt I'd be unable to pay if it were not for them.

Thank you

P.S. Most Partnerships have ceased their funds for education i.e. the Millenium Fund.

Also the Student Assistance Fund will not help with registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I am applying to return to college in September this year as a mature student. The course is a BA in Sport & Exercise at IT Carlow.

I have already hold a Hons BA Degree in Media from DCU. On that particular course I studied for 3 years in Ballyfermot College earning a FETAC Level 5 & a Higher National Diploma. I got a grant for all 3 of these years. The one year degree add on did not qualify for a grant as it was not recognised by the grants authority due to some technicality.

My question is, am I entitled to any manner of grant given that I already hold a degree and am now 23 & considered a mature student? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 manatasia

Hi guys,
    I don't know if it is the right thread to post my question, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I'm currently a student doing a level 7 degree (I could do an additional year and then have a level 8) in Horticulture, but I'm planning on applying to Landscape Architecture as soon as I finish this course. After 3 years of study I will be 22, so I won't be considered as a mature student (I will make a CAO application being 22). My question is, what will be specifically taken into account? Will I have better chances of getting into college than students with LC? I didn't get into Landscape Architecture in the first attempt, so I'm kind of worried they won't let me in another time as well. Has anyone done that before? There are hundreds of people coming back to college as mature students, but I can't find anyone who is simply doing one degree and then another being under 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

manatasia wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I don't know if it is the right thread to post my question, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I'm currently a student doing a level 7 degree (I could do an additional year and then have a level 8) in Horticulture, but I'm planning on applying to Landscape Architecture as soon as I finish this course. After 3 years of study I will be 22, so I won't be considered as a mature student (I will make a CAO application being 22). My question is, what will be specifically taken into account? Will I have better chances of getting into college than students with LC? I didn't get into Landscape Architecture in the first attempt, so I'm kind of worried they won't let me in another time as well. Has anyone done that before? There are hundreds of people coming back to college as mature students, but I can't find anyone who is simply doing one degree and then another being under 23.

To me, I would say they will only take your LC results into account and not your current level of study as you are applying as a *school leaver* and not a mature student.

What I would advise doing is to contact the head of the department directly and see about getting an advanced entry into the course as you have already done a course similar. This may be an option for you. If not, you would have to hang around a year to be elligible to apply as a mature student. But if you don't ask you don't get so give the head of department a call and arrange a meeting to see if there is another way of getting on the course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement