Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 10 - Episode 4

Options
  • 25-10-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well, we're at the half way point in the season now...three down, & three to go. I think the season started off very strong, & maintained it through ep 2...but last week's 'Lemons' seems to have split opinions fairly evenly.

I wonder how tonights episode, "Entangled" will go?!
    Lister loses Rimmer in a game of poker to a group of Genetically Engineered Life Forms (GELF) and in return gets an unwanted gift: a groinal exploder programmed to detonate in 24-hours unless Lister pays his debts. Meanwhile, Kryten and Cat become quantum entangled and do everything in perfect unison.

It certainly sounds vintage, I wonder will we even get to see some Gelf in it?

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 16 votes

0%
    6%
    Sparks43 1 vote
    18%
    MickerooArmaniJeansscherryghost 3 votes
    12%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarMyrddin 2 votes
    18%
    YeatsCountyCookiemunsterG.K. 3 votes
    12%
    johnny_ultimatesteve_r 2 votes
    12%
    LMoist Bread 2 votes
    18%
    komodospMugMugsexpectationlost 3 votes
    0%
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I think i have just seen perfection.

Start to finish was absolute genius and iam waiting for the repeat to watch it again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That was very good, best of the series to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I honestly don't know how any more vintage it can get, this season has blown away season 7, 8 & BTE. Brilliant episode I thought, the one thing that got me though, & maybe I'm just getting old, but I felt the ending a little 'cold' they way
    the scientist girl tripped, fell out the airlock & Lister & Kryten barely batted an eyelid

Apart from that, laughs all the way. Loved the Cat/Kryten reactions to 'coincidents' :D:D And those alien thingys were freaky looking, similar to Gelf in some ways too

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Other than the Cat / Kryten coincidency things (at first), I found myself struggling to laugh at anything in this episode.

And Irene
    tripping out the airlock to her death
    would have been funny in another context, but for God's sake, she
    had just saved Lister's life in what was a very tense scene.

I think it would have been way more hilarious to see
    Lister's bollocks comically blown to bits
    but I suppose they have to
    maintain the status quo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought it was a solid episode, certainly superior to last week. Ticked along amiably and the coincidence stuff was amusing. I'd stop well short of perfection, as some of the ideas still did seem underdeveloped - there's just something about this series where you feel there's more potential if the writers just made a bit more effort or took a risk - and I didn't laugh out loud much (even if the canned laughter was telling me I should have ;)). But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Thought it was a solid episode, certainly superior to last week. Ticked along amiably and the coincidence stuff was amusing. I'd stop well short of perfection, as some of the ideas still did seem underdeveloped - there's just something about this series where you feel there's more potential if the writers just made a bit more effort or took a risk - and I didn't laugh out loud much (even if the canned laughter was telling me I should have ;)). But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

it's filmed in front of a live audience isn't it?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Missed this last night. When's the repeat on folks?

Well they repeat them on Wednesday night... Don't know if there are others...

it's filmed in front of a live audience isn't it?

Presumably a very drunk live audience...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Missed this last night. When's the repeat on folks?

Everybody knows they're steaming on Dave's website too, right?

Link to last nights: http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/series-10/episode-4

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Everybody knows they're steaming on Dave's website too, right?

Link to last nights: http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/series-10/episode-4

Didn't know that at all, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

That wasn't great - it was watchable but it felt quite like Season 8. They're not getting much depth of comedy out of anything they introduce so they're skimming along getting one or two jokes from things old RD would have made hay from. -_-
    komodosp wrote: »
    I think it would have been way more hilarious to see
    Lister's bollocks comically blown to bits
    but I suppose they have to
    maintain the status quo

I think they missed a trick here actually
    the groinal exploder was made by experts in getting things wrong - the crew could have cocked up the removal and the exploder could still have failed to go off. No need for that whole rigmarole with the exploder symbols

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I enjoyed it more than last weeks episode, some of the humour was better pitched; but once again the canned laughter did its solid best to make me hate the episode. Cat entering the scene going 'yeeowwww' doesn't need uproarious laughter dammit, stop telling me what to laugh at TV.

Although in many ways, considering how the series has been trying hard to recreate its heydays from the 80s/90s, as if nothing's ever happened, maybe it's only natural they include all the old-school elements of 90s comedy. Would definitely love to see some other TV comedy-writers get their hands on the franchise though - it happens quite often with Dr Who & its comedy writing is gold (no surprise I guess with Steven Moffat at the helm) - and Red Dwarf needs fresh blood at this stage.

Oh and; I know I asked this already about what happened between series 8s cliffhanger & now, but I'm again wondering what the story is - Lister keeps mentioning Kochanski, so I'm guessing she's still about, somewhere.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh and; I know I asked this already about what happened between series 8s cliffhanger & now

The fictional Season 9 happened & apparently explained everything. BTE happened outside this & was separate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Had to say, I was quite disappointed with this one and found myself getting bored watching it. The comedy was just idiotic at times and not even funny.

Gave this a 4 and that's my honest opinion. By the looks of it, I am very much alone on this view.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Easily the best in this season imo. Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah the must have pumped laughing gas into the studio, especially the audience reaction to the first time the kep saying coincidence. not a bad episode though, feels more contrived Red Dwarf(tm) then watching them years ago

I think people need to really take the nostalgic rose tinted glasses off when judging this new season against the more established seasons. There have been some truly woeful, & more than a fair few middling episodes along the way since the series began.

Looking at when shows revisit themselves after a prolonged break, this has to be one of the best I've seen.

Does anyone else have trouble getting the streams on Dave's website working? It just buffers endlessly for me :(

TBH I think not viewing it with rose-tinted glasses is the problem. There's been frequent times this season when I've thought Red Dwarf is a mere relic - very much a twenty five year old sitcom, sometimes for better but very often for worse. Television comedy has moved on an awful lot in the intervening decades - Red Dwarf is older than The Simpsons :eek: - and I just don't know if it can cut it anymore for me personally. Parts of this season have most certainly been fun, but I'm working through Parks & Recreations at the moment and I've belly laughed much regularly at single episodes of that than the four episodes of Red Dwarf X put together. I'm not even going to mention (well, except for mentioning them now) the likes of Curb, Louie or The Thick of It that are on a different plain altogether. There's definitely a lack of ambition or an inability to push the episode concepts to truly great heights.

I have very fond memories of Red Dwarf, no doubt about it. Also no doubt it was a mixed success even at the best of times. But I'm increasingly beginning to think I've outgrown the series for whatever reason. I'll still watch as there's certainly some nostalgic charm. But there's definitely IMO something lacking. Perhaps it's Rob Grant, perhaps it's the manic enthusiasm of earlier episodes, perhaps it's just me.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Does anyone else have trouble getting the streams on Dave's website working? It just buffers endlessly for me :(

I've watched the last two episodes no problem anyway! You've logged in yeah? Perhaps try a different browser?

• Advertisement

I've watched the last two episodes no problem anyway! You've logged in yeah? Perhaps try a different browser?

Think I've sorted it now. Forgot I had the laptop DNS set up for US Netflix, seems to stream now I've gone back to the Irish DNS.

TBH I think not viewing it with rose-tinted glasses is the problem. There's been frequent times this season when I've thought Red Dwarf is a mere relic - very much a twenty five year old sitcom, sometimes for better but very often for worse. Television comedy has moved on an awful lot in the intervening decades - Red Dwarf is older than The Simpsons :eek: - and I just don't know if it can cut it anymore for me personally. Parts of this season have most certainly been fun, but I'm working through Parks & Recreations at the moment and I've belly laughed much regularly at single episodes of that than the four episodes of Red Dwarf X put together. I'm not even going to mention (well, except for mentioning them now) the likes of Curb, Louie or The Thick of It that are on a different plain altogether. There's definitely a lack of ambition or an inability to push the episode concepts to truly great heights.

Sure again, its gonna be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't for Red Dwarf regards evolving the show into a more modern style of comedy? A new style would alienate the existing fans, & the older style, won't attract new watchers. So what do you do? You can't just take a 25 year old show & change it from the ground up without upsetting the fans who made it as successful as it was in the first place

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is it a running gag on here that people keep insisting it's canned laughter despite Red Dwarf never having used such a thing?

I thought the episode was alright, didn't really laugh at the synchronicity thing, but as with all Red Dwarfs, they get much better with time and rewatching. Still enjoying this season immensely in general and hope to hear the announcement of S11 sooner than later :)

Gave it a 9, best episode of the season so far for me. I think it's gotten steadily better as it went along actually.

The biggest belly laugh I got was Kryten drying the spoons though, reminded me of when he used his groin attachment to stir the tea :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Is it a running gag on here that people keep insisting it's canned laughter despite Red Dwarf never having used such a thing?

Sometimes it sure as heck doesn't sound that way - maybe there's an art to editing live laughter from a recording, but I don't think it's needed after everything that passes for a gag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

I have very fond memories of Red Dwarf, no doubt about it. Also no doubt it was a mixed success even at the best of times. But I'm increasingly beginning to think I've outgrown the series for whatever reason. I'll still watch as there's certainly some nostalgic charm. But there's definitely IMO something lacking. Perhaps it's Rob Grant, perhaps it's the manic enthusiasm of earlier episodes, perhaps it's just me.

I agree with you to a point on this one. I thought this episode in particular was the series showing its age. However, I do think the older episodes still stand up, and some moments this season echo that.

The shows you've compared it to (and I know you limited your comparison) are very different (and very good) types of comedy.

I know you weren't making a direct like-for-like, and I do think Rob Grant (or at least a different voice) is needed to bring it back to its old standards.

In general, tv shows can go stale, and this was something leveled at TTOI at the start of their new season. I think RD still has a lot to offer, but at the moment its a "comfort" tv show for me, and I'd love them to push the boat out, bring in new writers (I think the actors are fantastic comedically) and really just go for it.

steve_r wrote: »
    I agree with you to a point on this one. I thought this episode in particular was the series showing its age. However, I do think the older episodes still stand up, and some moments this season echo that.

The shows you've compared it to (and I know you limited your comparison) are very different (and very good) types of comedy.

I know you weren't making a direct like-for-like, and I do think Rob Grant (or at least a different voice) is needed to bring it back to its old standards.

In general, tv shows can go stale, and this was something leveled at TTOI at the start of their new season. I think RD still has a lot to offer, but at the moment its a "comfort" tv show for me, and I'd love them to push the boat out, bring in new writers (I think the actors are fantastic comedically) and really just go for it.

Yep I definitely don't want to push the comparisons with newer shows too far, as they're hardly like-to-like, but perhaps I've just grown accustomed to edgy or progressive TV comedy while Red Dwarf is playing it safe. That's not always a bad thing, true, but there's been a few times this season when I genuinely thought it wouldn't have been much effort to push the comedy one or two steps further to create something really hilarious. You can see the potential in some of the ideas, which makes Naylor's continued reluctance and/or inability to make that extra push slightly disappointing.

Another small problem IMO is that the characters - as funny and iconic as they are - are mere caricatures, barely having evolved since 1988. While their mannerisms have certainly led to great comedy, and Llewellyn and Barrie particularly have razor sharp comic timing at their best, Red Dwarf is never anything more than disposable farce as a result. Forgive the further comparison, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the subtle character changes Park & Recreations manages, and you find yourself really rooting for and connected with the characters. As funny as the Red Dwarf crew are, there's little denying that they've have been consistently one-dimensional this season.

Again, I certainly don't doubt the possibility that this is all just me trying to rationalise my irrational apathy towards some of the recent episodes. I will concede though: as mixed a bag as I think this season has been, it's still a damn sight better than Back to Earth ;)

Advertisement