Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

• 18-01-2021 9:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Finally a first look for a film I believe is coming out March(?). Of course it's in the shape of a teaser so presumably a full trailer ain't far away.

A weird duo of films so far: the first Godzilla could have been great had it stuck with Bryan Cranston as it's lead; the sequel then did a hard turn from the grounded "realism" of the first, into something incoherently stupid (but not fun either).

And Kong: Skull Island was a guilty pleasure with some genuinely great "creature feature" feels to it. Also stupid, but in all the right places too.

https://twitter.com/GodziIIaVSKong/status/1351220542825758726

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But why are they fighting? Would Kong not now down? Are their mothers called Martha?
    Will they take the Skull Island approach of actually showing the monsters or the Godzilla approach of clouds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

It's a fan made production not official.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, Adam Wingard (of You're Next and The Guest) is directing this, so no newbie mug anyway and I've liked his work. Hopefully, he can handle a production of this literal and figurative scale. Gareth Edwards captured the size and weight of Godzilla really well in that 2014 film...
    somuj wrote: »
    It's a fan made production not official.

According to? The Twitter account looked legit when I checked, seemed to be reported by a couple of outlets I'd ordinarily trust.

Not a fan production anyway, considering the cast and being released in cinemas and on HBO Max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

How in Gods name did Kong become the same size as Godzilla 393 ft tall.
    He was 104 ft high in Skull Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, Adam Wingard (of You're Next and The Guest) is directing this, so no newbie mug anyway and I've liked his work. Hopefully, he can handle a production of this literal and figurative scale. Gareth Edwards captured the size and weight of Godzilla really well in that 2014 film...

According to? The Twitter account looked legit when I checked, seemed to be reported by a couple of outlets I'd ordinarily trust.

Already suspended account, so something dodgy there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Who got them to stay still enough for such accurate measurements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Godzilla could have shrunk. Radiation and what not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

John C. Reilly states that Kong is still growing and that he's quite young. I think this is some kind of MCU-thing for monsters they're going for here for some reason.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 the sword

They probably recast him. Hollywood is always at that carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wasn't Skull Island set back in the 70's? Plenty of time for him to grow if he was still a youngster like has been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zoeyalex87

I want Godzilla to win no titan can beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

zoeyalex87 wrote: »
    I want Godzilla to win no titan can beat him.

Only Ferris Buelller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently am actual trailer is due Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So not a remake of https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056142/
    In the fight scene, when King Kong throws Godzilla over his shoulder, suit actor Shoichi Hirose didn't throw an empty suit, but actually threw it with Haruo Nakajima still inside. The total weight of Nakajima and the Godzilla suit were around 300 lbs, and this was Hirose's way of proving he was the stronger of the two. This move was one of the many martial arts influences in the fight choreography since Godzilla suit actor Nakajima was a black belt in Judo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

King of the Monsters was trash, and not in a good way but ...

Look.

I'm a simple man at heart. I like to think I have a broad, open taste in film ... But sometimes I just want to see big monsters smack the crap outta each other.

I just hope that unlike Pacific Rim 2 they remember these beasts are meant to be giant and slow, not big rubbery CGI dancers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

King of the Monsters was trash, and not in a good way but ...

Look.

I'm a simple man at heart. I like to think I have a broad, open taste in film ... But sometimes I just want to see big monsters smack the crap outta each other.

I just hope that unlike Pacific Rim 2 they remember these beasts are meant to be giant and slow, not big rubbery CGI dancers.

I'd be cut from a similar cloth but even something this basic seems to elude the creators of today's blockbusters.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Crazy to think these types of movies are big blockbusters now and not some animated film sold on dvd like years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is that
    Mechagodzilla
    at the very start of the trailer?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say I'm the rare type that loved King of the Monsters and had a big smile on my face watched Ghidorah and Godzilla square off.

Hopefully they keep it simple again.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Bacon and cabbage

So it looks like Godzilla has turned bad for some reason and Kong must stop him.
    He has his work cut out.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Is that
    Mechagodzilla
    at the very start of the trailer?? :confused:

Yes

My prediction is that they initially fight but then have to work together to take on a bigger foe. The spread of anti Chinese sentiment throughout the world

Yes
    I'm thinking that
    Mecha Godzilla is the one causing the grief attacking everything while looking like Godzilla.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I get that all the words coming out of the human's mouths are to explain why how a huge ape ends up fighting a huge dinosaur, but my suspension of disbelief is really being tested here.

I will be awaiting this, however. :)

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'm thinking that
    Mecha Godzilla is the one causing the grief attacking everything while looking like Godzilla.

Yes thats quite possible.
    Although MechaGodzilla wouldnt look exactly like the real Godzilla.
    Maybe he has real skin like a Terminator or something like that .

• Advertisement

Yes thats quite possible.
    Although MechaGodzilla wouldnt look exactly like the real Godzilla.
    Maybe he has real skin like a Terminator or something like that .
    That would be my guess. Godzilla turns up at some stage, whacks him with the Atomic Breath and burns the skin off to reveal robozilla

Dunno what they were talking about in that trailer. What happened all the others from King of the Monsters?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dunno what they were talking about in that trailer. What happened all the others from King of the Monsters?

CoVid

CastorTroy wrote: »

Probably gone back into hibernation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This looks absolutely horrendous, but if it keeps teenage boys in China happy...

This looks absolutely horrendous, but if it keeps teenage boys in China happy...
    It's a giant radioactive iguana vs a giant gorilla, it's not gonna be Schindlers list.
    I'd be quite happy to have no/minimal humans and just some Kaijumania for 2 hours.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy to have no/minimal humans and just some Kaijumania for 2 hours.

Unfortunately it looks like there are going to be lots of pesky human characters and even worse a good few will be kids.

Let them fight is all I want.

Now now, don't be That Guy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch a Creature Feature, it's a primal joy. Now, unless you mean by the metrics of that genre it doesn't look good, then sure I'm not exactly hyped myself :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

looks bloody amazing!

Now now, don't be That Guy. There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch a Creature Feature, it's a primal joy. Now, unless you mean by the metrics of that genre it doesn't look good, then sure I'm not exactly hyped myself :)

Even WB don't seem too excited, having tried to sell this to Netflix. I've nothing against this type of movie, but at least Gareth Edwards and Roland Emmerich earned their right to direct one. This has the director of the Death Note remake and smacks of Alien v Predator nonsense - something that ruins two franchises for about a decade in one fell swoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

In one big-up to the universe creators I'm finding it difficult to root for either side in this fight. I'd guess a team up to fight some as-yet unknown baddie would be the way to sort this out in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Even WB don't seem too excited, having tried to sell this to Netflix. I've nothing against this type of movie, but at least Gareth Edwards and Roland Emmerich earned their right to direct one. This has the director of the Death Note remake and smacks of Alien v Predator nonsense - something that ruins two franchises for about a decade in one fell swoop.

Isn't Emmerich's godzilla a very hated upon film, especially with fans? Edward's godzilla focused more on human characters than godzilla himself.. At least this film seems to have godzilla and Kong front and center..

Slydice wrote: »
    In one big-up to the universe creators I'm finding it difficult to root for either side in this fight. I'd guess a team up to fight some as-yet unknown baddie would be the way to sort this out in the film.

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. If you look at the trailer 3 seconds in, when the lads are running into the subway, you can see what looks like a big giant robot which is rumoured to be cyborg-zilla. Unknown if sent from the future or not.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Isn't Emmerich's godzilla a very hated upon film, especially with fans? Edward's godzilla focused more on human characters than godzilla himself.. At least this film seems to have godzilla and Kong front and center..

Yes, but I mean that he made Stargate and Independence Day before Godzilla. Gareth Edwards was a critical darling after Monsters. Jordon Vogt-Roberts too after The Kings of Summer before Kong: Skull Island - and he's clearly still a big deal if he's making Metal Gear Solid. And of course, Peter Jackon followed up all those LOTR Oscars with King Kong

The idea that a Hollywood Godzilla or King Kong movie should be a guilty pleasure bantfest isn't a foregone conclusion but for some reason WB decided on two nobodies from horror films to direct Godzilla King of the Monsters and this. It's the exact same playbook as Alien v Predator, two series that also had amazing directors in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The issue of young, up-and-coming directors being thrust right into a big blockbuster is alas something of a Hollywood trend these days. I would argue that Wingard has had a slightly neater curve of bigger projects than others, but there’s a problem where there’s not really the mid-tier of modestly expensive films with more creative freedom anymore.

On the subject of ‘just let the monsters beat the **** out of each other’... I’m a bit of a Shin Godzilla evangelical, because to me it’s basically the perfect modern Godzilla movie. And yet 75% of the film is characters figuring out their way through Japanese state bureaucracy to get things done :pac: Thankfully it’s a very funny political satire that is deeply rooted in the modern concerns and recent traumas facing Japan - true to the spirit of Honda’s film. It doesn’t hurt that its Godzilla action is absolutely incredible when it does arrive, but really it’s a very grounded, even mundane disaster movie at its core. The difference between it and the American ones is that the Hollywood version is too weighed down by bland, cookie-cutter characters, whereas Shin has bigger and more interesting thematic concerns it wants to tackle.

The problem, basically, isn’t that these films spend too much time with the humans - it’s that the human stories aren’t interesting enough to justify it. Two CG monsters fighting each other for 120 mins is a shortcut to dull-as-all-hell filmmaking too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So it looks like Godzilla has turned bad for some reason
    This isn't his first rodeo you know ;)

Are you aware of the Godzilla Threshold ?
    But every so often, the time comes when the threat is so great, the situation has gone so horribly wrong, that there is no proportionate response. When circumstances are so dire as to justify the use of any and every thing that might solve it, no matter how reckless, nonsensical, or horrific, regardless of cost. When even the summoning of Godzilla, king of the monsters and patron saint of collateral damage, could not possibly make the crisis any worse.

p to the e wrote: »
    Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. If you look at the trailer 3 seconds in, when the lads are running into the subway, you can see what looks like a big giant robot which is rumoured to be cyborg-zilla. Unknown if sent from the future or not.

Oooh, that's kinda cool!

I'm in! Was probably in for the fights alone anyway. I wonder if they'll try do some story in this one. Maybe..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Love the idea but seen the trailer and it just hurt my eyes

New trailer , Godzilla slaps back !

That does kinda look like a
    non-Kong non-Godzilla tail in one scene there that Godzilla is staring at and I think Godzilla is standing over..

Also the music/soundboard at the start sounds a bit more like the pulled Comic Con trailer from the first film.. so I might as well re-watch that https://vimeo.com/146985673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

New trailer , Godzilla slaps back !

i dont understand , is KK now 500 feet tall ?

he looks as big as GZ ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement