Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Posting this up again if anyone has never come across it, don't know when it was written but it must be at least 20 years now if recall the first time I read it,

Ravers Manifesto

Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology. Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none. Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be. You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence. We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you. We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children. We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself. We are The Massive. One Massive.

We were first drawn by the sound. From far away, the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mother’s heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical wiring. We were drawn back into this womb, and there, in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it, we came to accept that we are all equal. Not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls: we are all equal. And somewhere around 35Hz we could feel the hand of God at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, our bodies, and our spirits. Pushing us to turn to the person beside us to join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world. It is in that very instant, with these initial realizations that each of us was truly born.

We continue to pack our bodies into clubs, or warehouses, or buildings you’ve abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night. Strong, throbbing, vibrant life in it’s purest, most intense, most hedonistic form. In these makeshift spaces, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilize and secure for us. We seek to relinquish our inhibitions, and free ourselves from the shackles and restraints you’ve put on us for your own peace of mind. We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born. Programming that tells us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest and most convenient pigeon hole possible. Programming that even tells us to climb ladders for you, jump through hoops, and run through mazes and on hamster wheels. Programming that tells us to eat from the shiny silver spoon you are trying to feed us with, instead of nourish ourselves with our own capable hands. Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of open them.

Until the sun rises to burn our eyes by revealing the distopian reality of a world you’ve created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in: Peace, Love, Freedom, Tolerance, Unity, Harmony, Expression, Responsibility and Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information. Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence. But know that while you may shut down any given party, on any given night, in any given city, in any given country or continent on this beautiful planet, you can never shut down the entire party. You don’t have access to that switch, no matter what you may think. The music will never stop. The heartbeat will never fade. The party will never end.

I am a raver, and this is my manifesto

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Stumbled across 'Loved Up' on Amazon Prime - some great tracks and as it was made mid 90s, proper nostalgia in terms of clothes, cars, coming up on pills etc. Well worth a watch... must have been made on a budget but adds to the charm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loved_Up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Alright lads anybody know this mid-90's Trance tune it's the first tune on the mix, starts off with a little rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Maysa07 wrote: »
    What an absolute monster...

Evil tune Paddy

Was listening to it recently on this Warren Mix

• Advertisement

aceberg wrote: »
    Evil tune Paddy

Was listening to it recently on this Warren Mix

No prizes for guessing where that stairs is from.

No prizes for guessing where that stairs is from.

Of course..............Stairway to madness...:)

and if theres hell below..........

aceberg wrote: »
    Of course..............Stairway to madness...:)

and if theres hell below..........

Yes, if I am correct, that the first stairs leading way from entrance to DJ Booth in basement, on the way up the 'The Skag Room', which was absolute madness.

You hear a lot about the hedonism of Raves, that second floor was Hedonistic, Lawless, Madness, and anything else you can imagine.

Drugs, Guns, Knives, Fights, Sex, Alcohol until whoever decided it was time to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If you know what all these buildings have on common, chances are you enjoyed the 90’s.

7465443-C-63-B7-451-C-9-B41-F6047-E8-B53-E4.jpg

stephen_n wrote: »
    If you know what all these buildings have on common, chances are you enjoyed the 90’s.

7465443-C-63-B7-451-C-9-B41-F6047-E8-B53-E4.jpg

Not sure on all of them,

1. Ormond
    2. ?
    3. Olympic
    4. UFO/ Waterfront
    5. Sides
    6. ?
    7. The Asylum
    8. ?

Purple onion was also a great little clandestine spot.

• Advertisement

Not sure on all of them,

1. Ormond
    2. ?
    3. Olympic
    4. UFO/ Waterfront
    5. Sides
    6. ?
    7. The Asylum
    8. ?

Purple onion was also a great little clandestine spot.

2. Temple of Sound
    6. System
    8. Shaft

Yeah could have included Subteranea and Grouchos in there but the walk was long enough as it was :)

2. Temple of Sound
    6. System
    8. Shaft

Yeah could have included Subteranea and Grouchos in there but the walk was long enough as it was :)

You did a walk about!

I did the exact same years ago and took photos also, have them somewhere.

Now i think my brain is melting after all these years, i was in Temple of sound a handful of times and for the life of me i could have sworn in my memory it was almost literally next door to the Ormond.

Never got as far as the System or Shaft, but i do have a live recording of the shaft on cassette somewhere that good friend of mine at the time gave me.

Was in Grouchos once, the atmosphere didnt hit it off with me, seemed to me to be a very elitest/judgmental buzz in the place from minute you walked through the door.

(But in saying that, i did have a skin head, Three quarter length leather jacket, Levis jeans and Air Max, so now i kind of understand!:))

You did a walk about!

I did the exact same years ago and took photos also, have them somewhere.

Now i think my brain is melting after all these years, i was in Temple of sound a handful of times and for the life of me i could have sworn in my memory it was almost literally next door to the Ormond.

Never got as far as the System or Shaft, but i do have a live recording of the shaft on cassette somewhere that good friend of mine at the time gave me.

Was in Grouchos once, the atmosphere didnt hit it off with me, seemed to me to be a very elitest/judgmental buzz in the place from minute you walked through the door.

(But in saying that, i did have a skin head, Three quarter length leather jacket, Levis jeans and Air Max, so now i kind of understand!:))
    Yeah didn’t particularly like the vibe in grouchos a bit like the POD, never quite felt comfortable.

Walking is pretty much all you can do these days :)

Francois and Dean Sherry in the shaft were class. Had a good few tapes but no idea what I did with them.

Yeah didn’t particularly like the vibe in grouchos a bit like the POD, never quite felt comfortable.

Walking is pretty much all you can do these days :)

Francois and Dean Sherry in the shaft were class. Had a good few tapes but no idea what I did with them.

Can you tell me where the Temple was?

I have in my memory it was only couple of doors away from the Ormond, is my brain turning to swiss cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Can you tell me where the Temple was?

I have in my memory it was only couple of doors away from the Ormond, is my brain turning to swiss cheese?

Temple of Sound was in the Ormond Hotel on Ormond Quay

https://www.buzz.ie/music/temple-of-sound-258777

The Ormond was in the Ormond Multi-Media Centre (or something like that) close by.

Big Vern wrote: »

The Ormond was in the Ormond Multi-Media Centre (or something like that) close by.

Thought i was losing my marbles for a minute.

Its hard to keep track of it all!

Thankfully there are threads like this to remind us of people, songs and places. I had forgotten all about both Ormonds, was in the Multimedia Centre more than the Hotel. Had some great nights in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Big Vern wrote: »

That Temple of Sound reunion a few years ago was the best of the lot imo

Its all coming back to me now, Heres a story i posted years ago on the Asylum/Oldskool thread,

I was drinking in Graces in rathmines one evening & overheard a few lads beside us saying to some other lads they were going to some 21st in the function room in the Ormond hotel, anyway, they headed off & after a good skin full of drink & a few doves we decided to invite ourselves to the party.

We got to the doors of the hotel & told the door man who asked if we were residents that we were here for the 21st & he let us in.....needless to say we got a few strange looks as we didn't know anybody there. Anyway the party was just over when we got served a drink at the bar so we decided to go for a ramble around the hotel & into the fire stairs (which has access to all areas of a premises for emergencys).

After a bit we eventually following the sounds found our way into the Kitchens of the hotel as far as i recall which was surprisingly completely empty with a set of double doors that when opened led into the TEMPLE OF SOUND!

That was one amazing night, we pushed the doors closed behind us and slipped into the crowd, when we looked back across the dancefloor we could see security had come through the doors looking to see who had just been through them but it was to late, they just slipped back out and pulled the doors.

Now i know this sounds like bull**** but its true, great adventures back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Some crackers on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYBVXYo1H4&t=1827s

Notes On Rave In Dublin Movie ( Documentary )

gar32 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jYBVXYo1H4&t=1827s

Notes On Rave In Dublin Movie ( Documentary )

My name is in the end credits! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

Just a quick note to say for the UFO / Alien regs who may remember Louise who ran the club with myself and John Collins, sadly she passed away last September, but I only found out yesterday, she helped shape the techno scene in Dublin, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Thought i was losing my marbles for a minute.

Speaking of the Ormond has anybody posted the TDV & Tall Paul set @ the Ormond from 1997? If not does anyone have any interest in it being posted?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Haven't been on boards for a while, drifting away as I get older...

I was watching this clip of a rave from the early 90s earlier this evening and I actually for the first time felt like it was something very distant and no longer part of my life. I have to say that felt sad :(

It really captures what it was like in the thick of it on the dancefloor, the different faces of people off their heads in whatever shape or form. And the whole spirit of youth, which again is very much fading!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoknNrvQwNA

Ha ha man, I have noticed the same a while back. I think its that natural shift with age when you move into that mature phase. When the structure of your brain actually does change. However I didn't feel sad about it and always remember the music will always remain. I still have all my music stored away to listen to, albeit mostly digital now. Was just listening to Nikolai today doing a bit of DIY. I remember first hearing it and was blown away, felt very like that today. It got the death at one point on the airwaves. But the vocals man 'Are you ready to flow' unreal because under the influence of a dove i felt like i was flowing, floating, free. ah the memories, great to be part of it. It was a big part of my life for so long. But hey man you will recover and the sadness will turn to pride and satisfaction among other things |||

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wgeorge77

HI All,

Great memories and tunes on these threads!

Anyone got the artwork pack that was posted a while back with all the photos of the murals that were on the walls in the Asylum please?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Thank you. Saw this on tele years ago and it always stuck with me but I never knew what it was called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Anyway, going clubbing tmw night for the first time in 5 years. Dnb gig in xoyo, ram’s shimon headlining with a classics set. Buzzing.

went to a lot of dnb gigs in the late 90s and early 00s in Dublin (bassbin in switch the most common) then moved to London for 10 years to experience more.

Advertisement